Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:10 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It’s easier to blame the schools than our own culture and it’s nothing new.
Yep.

The US had an incredibly bountiful period post WW2 where any moron could get a pretty good paying job at whatever factory was around. It created an anti-education vibe (again "nerds") because seriously why bother being a nerd when you can stumble through highschool and still get paid well, house, car etc?

It's a generality but it's real and that whole "nerd" thing was entrenched in US culture, TV, movies etc.

It's better some places than others and is in general improving as people start to realize the impact on future income in the increasingly global economy.

However, US kids just aren't that hungry and in many cases get insufficient encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 11:09 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I will say that I had an Indian ER doctor at Cedars-Sinai in LA that saw me after a groin injury from a bike accident... Terrible attitude, ordered numerous unnecessary tests and procedures, which left me basically right back at square one with a $4k bill and a diretive to come back for other treatments which seemed superfluous and unnecessary.

In desperation, I went to a clinic in Hollywood and a very friendly and empathetic doctor prescribed me Flomax, told me to take cranberry pills for a couple weeks, and charged me $50. The problem was fixed in an hour.

You really have to be careful with those guys, as they are all about the cash. I have seen MANY unnecessary procedures done specifically to pad the bottom line of the physicians among this cohort. Among physicians, this is fairly common knowledge and most primary care docs tend to steer their patients away from the guys who are taking advantage of patients.

There are certainly dishonest physicians of all stripes and some honest Indian doctors, but whenever one runs across over utilization, it is usually an Indian doc as the cause.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I recall all those posts you'd written when I was still hanging out in the Work and Employment forum and I don't know how you've put up with this long-term. I'm sure whatever I dealt with is 1000x worse for women.

I'm great at covering my behind, so everything is always documented anyway. I have dates, times, who was in the room, etc. When Comey was saying he went back immediately after meeting with Trump and made detailed notes, I thought - that's Monday through Friday for me...lol.

Hats off to you, BigD - I couldn't do this every day - but I know in your field you haven't had a choice.

I think loud obnoxious alpha was shocked into silence by the louder, more obnoxious alpha....lol. At least momentarily. He knows who he is. When I said he was insufferable and I wasn't going to put up with it, his response was a sheepish, "I know....I know...."

The project is being wrapped up even as I type and I've already made the decision not to work with him again. I'm too old for this and have earned enough stripes where I can be selective.

I can only imagine how guys like this treat their wives.

They're awful to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
She and I are in the heart of India central for technology for Texas. I have a thousand stories I could tell.

I had a Senior VP at Citi Group tell me once 15 years ago when they first started importing them: "I can hire and import for half the price an American kid wants right out of College".

They are difficult to deal with in the Real Estate business also.
I find many cases I'm very abrupt with them and the only word they understand is NO.
Doing business with them is so different then doing business with an American, especially a home grown Texan.

The good thing is most of the time 2nd generation wants nothing to do with the Fresh off the Boat gen.
Many 2nd Gens don't want to live near where they cluster because they get stereotyped.

I've seen this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Interesting. There's been a recent trend of Indians moving into my town and two real estate agents I know have told me the same thing you've posted here. They have a very bad reputation as both buyers and sellers of property.

And as they've moved in, my Jewish neighbors have moved out. I'm told there's a correlation there, by those moving out, but when I've asked what it is, I don't get clear answers.

They're anti-Semites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You really have to be careful with those guys, as they are all about the cash. I have seen MANY unnecessary procedures done specifically to pad the bottom line of the physicians among this cohort. Among physicians, this is fairly common knowledge and most primary care docs tend to steer their patients away from the guys who are taking advantage of patients.

There are certainly dishonest physicians of all stripes and some honest Indian doctors, but whenever one runs across over utilization, it is usually an Indian doc as the cause.
And people wonder why I won't visit one of those doctors.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They're awful to them.

I've seen this as well.

They're anti-Semites.

And people wonder why I won't visit one of those doctors.
"They are anti semites" says Anti-Everybody.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:23 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This may just be the tip of the iceberg.
IT companies in the US are all like that...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/...n-descent/amp/

After the meeting, the man told a fellow interviewer that Intel shouldn’t hire Ryu because he was “Korean, married, and had a child,” and added, “It would be easier to hire a younger, unmarried Indian man,” the suit alleged.

One manager in his team, of Indian origin, “openly favored the hiring and promotion of only employees from India, stating that ‘Indians work hard’ and ‘Indians are harder workers,'” the suit alleged. That manager also encouraged a supervisor to hire only Indian employees, the suit filed Wednesday claimed.
Intel is not an “IT company”. That’s probably already been pointed out, but dude, how can you not know the difference?

Old 07-30-2019, 04:17 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fell back on the political claptrap just that quickly, huh?
Yet the "claptrap" you speak of is the elephant in the room. It's about culture (not race, religion, etc..) which is where the multi-culturalists and those bleating "diversity is our strength" miss the point completely. Not all cultures are compatible, as you have been bitterly pointing out.

Quote:
I want them here. I just don’t want to put up with their apparent air of superiority. I’m hoping not to be forced to choke one of those imperious idiots.
Again, simple culture clash that has this under your skin.

Quote:
But for now, they’re small potatoes compared to the recent cockiness of Trump supporters. A huge portion of them need their necks wrung for talking further out of school than they’d ever done before he got elected.
Couldnt end it without a bit of TDS display then, could you?

Old 07-30-2019, 04:45 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Intel is not an “IT company”. That’s probably already been pointed out, but dude, how can you not know the difference?
IT company can be used broadly, hardware and software.
---------
The Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) explains 'information technology' as encompassing all possible aspects of information systems based on computers.

Both software development and the hardware involved in the IT industry include everything from computer systems, to the design, implementation, study and development of IT and management systems.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
"They are anti semites" says Anti-Everybody.
LOL...prove me wrong.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LOL...prove me wrong.
LOL that was just a comment in lighter sense.

THey have very little understanding of who a semite is or who a Jew or where Israel is. They tend to steroptype everyone, but definitely not Jews as far as I know. I learnt about anti semitism only after I was in Europe and US. And there is very little Jewish population there too.

The other points about saving the 6% realtor fee are sadly very true.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
LOL that was just a comment in lighter sense.

THey have very little understanding of who a semite is or who a Jew or where Israel is. They tend to steroptype everyone, but definitely not Jews as far as I know. I learnt about anti semitism only after I was in Europe and US. And there is very little Jewish population there too.

The other points about saving the 6% realtor fee are sadly very true.
It has been my experience (as a Jew) that people from India know little to nothing about Jews and Judaism, but they are still strongly biased against Jewish people.

So much so that I self-closet at work. It's that bad. Unlike Americans, they can't tell by my name (or by looking at me) that I'm not a WASP.

If I know fellow Jews in any department, I don't "out" them at work. I've seen H1Bs do a 180 on people once they find out someone's Jewish. It's stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies