Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:29 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Miami Jackson - one of the biggest teaching hospitals went upside down a few years back - still there and running 24/7. Takes some savvy folks to reset it and put it back on course. If Philly can’t bring it back up def has some issues not dealt with .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 07:37 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
If other countries can afford to give everyone health care so can we. I suggest we cut back on tax cuts to the wealthy, corporations and cut back on the wars. Plenty of money for health care.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBT Baller View Post
That's something that a Nazi, like yourself, would do.

Hospitals are businesses, they should be able to decide what patients they serve.

I favor stopping the use of Narcan and let Darwin settle things naturally.
I'm Jewish so I don't believe that shoe fits me, but anyone who would turn someone sick or hurt away from getting emergency care would fall into that category so the Nazi label might be a better fit for you. In fact...it's a perfect fit, judging by the above post. Definitely sociopathic.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
??????????

Obviously you are not in healthcare. If a hospital has a high indigent patient load, they would lose money on almost every patient.

You can charge whatever you want, but medicare and Medicaid pay very little relative to private insurance.

Do you see the problem with "medicare for all"? I am only going to practice for seven more years, so I really don't care from a provider standpoint. I have enough money and am essentially working for my healthcare (which I cannot get otherwise, due to cancer X2).

I am more concerned from a consumer standpoint. Many large hospitals (Mayo) prioritize treatment based on insurance. Thus, even in retirement, I will continue to work and not go on medicare, such that I can have access to good healthcare. Medicare and Medicaid go to the end of the line.
Never had an issue getting good doctors under Medicare in NY, what state.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Never had an issue getting good doctors under Medicare in NY, what state.
Nor AZ.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Hahnemann has long been a “ safety net” hospital and as such has been struggling for decades.

In 1993 its assets were acquired by Allegheny Health.

In 1998, Allegheny filed for bankruptcy, the largest healthcare failure in the US. For profit, publicly- traded,

Tenet Healthcare acquired the assets. This company routinely buys/ sells hospitals throughout the US. Tenet was fined nearly $1 billion for Medicare fraud in the 90’s.

A judge recently allowed Hahnemann’s residency program ( an asset) to be sold to the highest bidder.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
How any hospital can go "broke" when they charge $30 for an aspirin and many thousands of dollars for any simple procedure, is beyond me. Yes, they may have some indigents, but also enough paying customers to cover that expense.

I suspect poor management personally.
What hospitals charged is not what they are reimbursed by Medicare, Medicaid or private insurers.

No one is paying $30 for an aspirin.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The USA only bails out the big banks and banksters, but this hospital closure has zero to do with The ACA so why are you making that up?
The big banks/ banisters repaid the loans. This part of the stimulus turned a profit.

The stimulus funds allocated to the states for transportation infrastructure projects became the black hole.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is probably true. It had more to do with medicare/Medicaid reimbursement.

The ACA was supposed to eliminate "pre-existing conditions" as a barrier to healthcare. I am here to tell you that is complete BS. I was told by both Blue Cross and United (the only insurance worth a damn in our area) that they would not cover me for any price. I have had cancer X2 and am currently treated. They said they would cover me if I ditched all my assets and could qualify for a Medicaid product!

I would sooner put a pistol in my mouth than go on Medicaid, so I am just going to keep on working as long as I can to keep a good health insurance policy (as a part of a large group, they have to insure me). Medicare and Medicaid go to the end of the line for healthcare and for certain drugs which I may need in the future.
According to the Federal Government you cannot be denied insurance or charged more due to a preexisting condition.

https://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/about...ons/index.html

Not clear what’s going on with your unfortunate situation.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBT Baller View Post
Get rid of EMTLA.
Legislation is 33 years old and is not going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies