Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:38 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,651,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So is intolerance. I'll take the heavier person over that.
It's ok to not tolerate people who chose to be a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,075,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't get the numerous efforts in trying to shame someone over a typo. Surely you know the OP meant tweet, right?
And now you get people's negative reactions to body shaming.

Class dismissed.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:00 AM

10,198 posts, read 6,271,169 times
Change the name back to what they have always been called, Lunch or Dessert plates.

In some restaurants which serve this size they call them Half Portions or Small Plates.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 AM

34,169 posts, read 18,471,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Change the name back to what they have always been called, Lunch or Dessert plates.

In some restaurants which serve this size they call them Half Portions or Small Plates.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,435,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sure, let's celebrate eating disorders! Hooray!

Good for Macy's. Eating disorders are not funny. Not only do these plates engage in body shaming for those wearing "mom jeans", but also perpetuate the shame often felt by people with anorexia/bulimia who might think the "skinny jeans" circle is too much food.

Yeah, because anorexia is such a huge problem in the US in comparison to obesity. Less than 1% of people have anorexia in the lifetime. Meanwhile, nearly 75% of the population is either overweight or obese! I’m in the overweight category by about 20lbs., I know this, I know and recognize I am to some extent fat. I am not hurt by some plate Macy’s puts out but am reminded I need to lose the weight. Fat is harmful and should not be celebrated. It should not be shamed either, but looked at as unhealthy, ABSOLUTELY.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:32 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,205,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps you should educate yourself about eating disorders.

And not knowing that "throwing fat in there" doesn't begin to cover the scope of eating disorders seems willfully dismissive.

Many eating disorders such as anorexia - and those plates surely could trigger behaviors in someone with anorexia - have their roots in mental health. Do you shame people with mental health disorders, too?
Hard to have a conversation with someone who purposely didn't include the part where I said making fun of anyone was rude, period.
Or who doesn't know the stats on eating disorders.
Self-righteous pablum.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:44 AM

23,159 posts, read 26,113,079 times
I hope all this publicity causes the sale of these products to skyrocket from other sources where they remain available.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM

10,198 posts, read 6,271,169 times
Really all this is a Sales/Marketing gimmick trying to attract more customers to buying these smaller plates separately. When you buy an entire set of dishes, these smaller lunch, dessert, "portion control" plates are included.

As a "small person" I never completely fill up my entire big sized Dinner plates when I cook. Why do I care? I have a DISHWASHER, which does not know the difference between full size dinner plates, and smaller plates.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
And now you get people's negative reactions to body shaming.

Class dismissed.
Nope, going after one person in public to embarrass him and make a point, as you've done here, isn't at all the same as these plates.

There are numerous things in our world geared toward people who need / want to lose weight. Some are serious products, some are fun or silly products. If someone feels so bad about their body that they feel ashamed by those products, it's probably far healthier mentally to work on what they can change, than to continue feeling ashamed because of how they look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies