Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:35 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times

Advertisements

People need to keep their wits about them in unfamiliar settings. That cruise ship was no more dangerous than every parking lot or athletic stadium in America. But for some reason the grandfather was lulled into complacency- probably happy to be playing with the grandchild and excited at the start of the trip. Sometimes the adult needs to be the one that simply waits out the crying/whining because children to not belong in all settings or surfaces. Or not get caught up in the cuteness of the kid and plop them on everything in site. I know it would be tough to play Safety Officer Bob on what was surely meant to be a big trip for the kids and grown ups wanting to be free like kids. But watching kids is a task and a half- this is why some people choose not to have them or to stop at 1 or 2.

When this first happened a coworker joked about not even considering taking her family on a cruise because she can barely control her kids in a Target or keep the younger one from jumping his crib. So the entire trip would be torture as she stayed tethered to her kids. While it sounds like a typical harried mom quip, I've known plenty of people who avoid entire activities/situations because they are just not child friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I disagree. The grandfather used the railing in a manner for which it was not intended. There is no way to completely childproof a ship.
^^
This.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
They could have railing like ordinary cruise ships.

If they really want openable windows then I suggest windows that are controlled by the staff. They are either all open or all closed. It is unsafe to only have a few windows open, because that can create a false sense of safety.
But this is the definition of every bank of operable windows ever- a couple are open, some closed. Or with sliding and patio doors were some segments are fixed/inoperable and others open.

Sometimes you actually have to leave a certain amount of openings to relieve pressure or reduce drag.

I've also been on a ship when everyone was told to stay off all decks due to wind/water conditions. A cruise ship is really a giant combination of potential hazards. It is inherent in being on a boat in the ocean unless you seal everyone up like a submarine.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
PART 47 TRANSPARENT GLASS DOORS
TRANSPARENT GLASS DOORS IN MERCANTILE ESTABLISHMENTS AND IN PUBLIC AND COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES

The board finds that the use of transparent glass doors and fixed adjacent transparent glass sidelights in construction and remodeling of buildings or other structures has increased to such an extent that accidental injuries and deaths have occured because of persons walking or falling into such transparent glass doors and fixed adjacent transparent glass sidelights, and that regulations in regard to marking and construction thereof are required for the protection of persons frequenting any area, building or structure where such transparent glass doors and sidelights are located.

It is the purpose and intent of this part (rule) to require reasonable and proper marking and construction of transparent glass doors and fixed adjacent transparent glass sidelights to prevent personal injuries to all persons frequenting any area, building or structure where such transparent glass doors and sidelights are located.

https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotectio...alth/sh47.shtm
This is all I'm saying. A cruise ship is a floating hotel and should be held to safety standards that any building or establishment is. Of course the first and last line of defense in protecting a child is the adult, but this tragedy likely could have been avoided if there were something as simple as decals on the glass windows.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
They could have railing like ordinary cruise ships.
They do. The grandfather placed the girl on a railing. That is how she ended up in front of an open window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This is all I'm saying. A cruise ship is a floating hotel and should be held to safety standards that any building or establishment is. Of course the first and last line of defense in protecting a child is the adult, but this tragedy likely could have been avoided if there were something as simple as decals on the glass windows.
The windows were tinted blue.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:03 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
While this is all a terrible accident, I do feel lit lies squarely on the grandfather. This has been a hot topic on a few of the cruise boards I'm on for the last few weeks since this happened, and that seems to be the general consensus.

Tragic? Yes.

Completely avoidable? Yes.

I feel for the family involved.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:03 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I disagree. The grandfather used the railing in a manner for which it was not intended. There is no way to completely childproof a ship.
This. It would be one thing if the grandfather was using a ship feature as it was intended to be used. But you can't misuse something (when the risks posed by misuse are clear) and then blame the ship when something tragic happens.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Our entire family was on this cruise ship years ago. Thankfully, no incidents. The youngest was under two years of age. Everyone took turns watching the kids. A cruise ship is the LAST place to let your guard down. Heavy seas, other passengers, free flowing liquor, slippery decks, etc., are a given. Supervision and parenting, while cruising, or on ANY vacation, are paramount to the safety and enjoyment for everyone. Sadly, this family is learning this lesson the hard way.

While my heart goes out to the family, there is absolutely no reason to settle this lawsuit, if indeed a lawsuit has been filed. The discovery phase will be brutal for the plaintiffs. Attorneys are educated to defend lawsuits, and will employ every tactic known to mitigate damages, to and including a trial. What RC spends in defending this lawsuit may offset future frivolous litigation matters, which will certainly occur if RC settles this matter. Settlement will give the perception of weakness or culpability on the part of RC, and will likely result in open season for any real or perceived injury, as RC will be seen as having deep pockets and would rather settle a case to avoid bad publicity, as opposed to spending the money to defend the corporation and take the case to trial.

Our society is very litigious to the point of abdicating responsibility for anything. That is troubling.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:05 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think it’s grandpas fault. The little girl couldn’t have gotten up there on her own.

No responsible person would let any toddler lean against a glass window to pound on.
A standard glass window, sure, but there are plenty of reinforced glass windows where this is perfectly acceptable and not irresponsible at all.

In this case, grandpa seems to have poor vision. But that's not the fault of the cruise ship.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Our entire family was on this cruise ship years ago. Thankfully, no incidents. The youngest was under two years of age. Everyone took turns watching the kids. A cruise ship is the LAST place to let your guard down. Heavy seas, other passengers, free flowing liquor, slippery decks, etc., are a given. Supervision and parenting, while cruising, or on ANY vacation, are paramount to the safety and enjoyment for everyone. Sadly, this family is learning this lesson the hard way.

While my heart goes out to the family, there is absolutely no reason to settle this lawsuit, if indeed a lawsuit has been filed. The discovery phase will be brutal for the plaintiffs. Attorneys are educated to defend lawsuits, and will employ every tactic known to mitigate damages, to and including a trial. What RC spends in defending this lawsuit may offset future frivolous litigation matters, which will certainly occur if RC settles this matter. Settlement will give the perception of weakness or culpability on the part of RC, and will likely result in open season for any real or perceived injury, as RC will be seen as having deep pockets and would rather settle a case to avoid bad publicity, as opposed to spending the money to defend the corporation and take the case to trial.

Our society is very litigious to the point of abdicating responsibility for anything. That is troubling.
And I bet they place decals on those windows after this incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies