Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think:
Rashida Tlaib should run for and win the Presidency? 3 2.03%
Rashida Tlaib is a material asset to Congress and her district? 13 8.78%
Is sincere in her love for her grandmother? 14 9.46%
Is a national disgrace? 103 69.59%
Is a traitor? 40 27.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 05:10 AM

43,649 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
If Representative Tlaib's ancestors were booted out of Palestine by Israelis, why is her grandmother still living in Israel?

Why would Representative Tlaib use a visit to her grandmother to criticize the government of Israel?

If Representative Tlaib loves her grandmother so much that she wants to visit, why would she let ANYTHING stand in her way?
Palestinian Arabs were not booted out of Israel as there still plenty of Israeli Arab citizens. Most of the Palestinian Arabs left at the suggestion of the Arab countries that invaded Israel in 1948 as they thought Israel would be annihilated and that they would return at the end of the war (and this way they would be out of the war zone). Obviously this didn't happen and these people became refugees as their Arab hosts refused to give them citizenship and Israel was not about to let its enemies return to its territory.

Representative Tlaib's grandmother lives in the West Bank area which is a semi-autonomous area which isn't considered Israel proper as Jewish Israelis are prohibited from entering this area.

Obviously Representative Tlaib has no interest in visiting her grandmother if she can't do an Israel bashing trip since she has been given permission to go see her on humanitarian grounds as long as she can't bash Israel during her trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Suspend all aid to Israel until this policy is reversed.
The 1979 Peace Treaty between Israel and Egypt which is the USA is co-signed specifies that both Israel and Egypt receive a financial aid package. So the USA can't just suspend this without endangering this peace between Israel and Egypt.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:13 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Yesterday, under U.S. pressure, Israel revoked permission for Ilan Omar and Rashida Tlaib to visit Israel. The reason for this was that Tlaib and Omar support Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS), which is contrary to U.S. foreign policy. Israel changed course on humanitarian grounds. The headline initially indicating this policy change disappeared from the New York Times website, being replaced by Rashida Tlaib Says She Won’t Visit West Bank Under Israel’s Conditions. The "conditions" were that "she (agree) in writing not to “promote boycotts against Israel” during her trip." Ms. Tlaib stated on Twitter (link link to final tweet and click through tweets for material after ellipses):
At one time I was a vocal supporter of Ms. Tlaib, see Rashida Tlaib for President! However, I now have my sincere doubts about her sincerity.
She is an America hating Islamic Jihadist.

It is a good thing that Israel and Trump are not intimidated by BS PC language and call her out for what she is. Hopefully the investigation against her will get her deported and out of the nation she hates.

Liberalism is the enemy within. It is not surprising that the dems support Omar and he agenda, as that of the Islamists and the dems are similar.

Perhaps all her liberal friends could go back with her to Somalia and find their liberal paradise, in which they would be around others of like mind who hate America, Jews, and Christians.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:35 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
I feel sorry for her grandmother. She USED her grandmother to try and get over there. Then backed out...how sad her grandma must feel being rejected....Poor grandma....

Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Rep. Tlaib wrote a letter to Israeli officials desperately wanting to visit her grandmother. Permission was quickly granted, whereupon Tlaib obnoxiously turned the approval down, a complete setup. The only real winner here is Tlaib’s grandmother. She doesn’t have to see her now!

classic

Old 08-17-2019, 06:54 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So conservatives now advocate for other countries to ban politicians that criticize their country (their meaning the other countries).

Well now -- that seems to me Trump could be in for some issues with that.

And when do we support free speech?

I'm confused.
No you're not. You're disingenuous.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would just like someone to answer the question as to why it is okay to support people who follow a religion that not only says that it is okay to hate, but actually encourages this hatred even to the point of violence, of anyone who is not Muslim. Quran (4:101) - "And when you (Muslims) travel in the land, there is no sin on you if you shorten your Salat (prayer) if you fear that the disbelievers may attack you, verily, the disbelievers are ever unto you open enemies." Mere disbelief makes one an "open" enemy of Muslims. (This was from the following link.)

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/p.../violence.aspx

And the undeniable fact is that less than 1.5% of people in the U.S. are Muslim, so people who follow the Quran literally view the vast majority of people in the U.S. as non-believers and therefore their enemies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_..._United_States

And, yes, before anyone chimes in with what about ____, yes, it is very true that Christians have not been the most tolerant people in the past in many cases and for much of its history, but I haven't seen many Christians actively encouraging murder, and it is most definitely NOT part of the Christian religion. And, so far as I know, Jews are about as violent toward others as Quakers are.

However, all that being said, I firmly believe that not ALL Muslims are violent, anti-American terrorists and horrible people! But to ask my question again -- Why would anyone support people who follow a religion that preaches hatred and violence to anyone who does not agree with them?

(And, btw, I am a agnostic pacifist who does NOT support Trump!)
The families of the men on the USS Liberty will probably not agree with you.

Israell spying on the USA did not end with Pollard.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:07 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Exactly. What's more...Tlaib could have accompanied the U. S. Congressional delegation of 41 Democrats to Israel, which took place the week of August 5. She could have visited her grandmother then, of course.

Ilhan Omar could also have made the trip as well.

Yet, both failed to do so, for reasons they have yet to plausibly explain.

Perhaps they wanted a greater level of publicity for their visit than would have been afforded by merely being part of a contingent of 40+ U. S. Congressmen.

At any rate, Israeli law permits the exclusion of foreign visitors who advocate for the destruction of Israel, and the Israelis were perfectly within their rights to bar her entry altogether. The Israeli interior minister graciously offered a humanitarian waiver to permit Tlaib to visit her grandmother conditioned upon Tlaib refraining from promoting her BDS claptrap. Tlaib's waiver application even contained her statement to the effect that she would observe that condition.

Apparently...once she realized that she had voluntarily undermined the very purpose of her visit (promoting the BDS movement) by agreeing to the conditions in the humanitarian waiver, she decided that it wasn't so important to see her grandmother after all.

The whole episode is thus revealed to be a self-serving canard, insofar as Tlaib is concerned.
The reason they gave for not going on the big trip earlier this month is because AIPAC sponsored that trip.

You can give a million proofs of why this trip of theirs was to promote BDS and propagandize against Israel, and of Israel having the legal right to exclude them. None of that makes Israel's decision a smart decision in terms of political or popular support in the U.S..

From what I've read, Talib and Omar listed 'Palestine' rather than Israel or specific sites as their destination. A reasonable response is to deny entry because there is no 'Palestine' and a new itinerary listing specific cities/sites would be considered.

Last edited by jazzarama; 08-17-2019 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentDonaldJTrump
"The only winner here is her grandmother. She doesn't have to seen her (Tlaib) now.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:01 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
My beef with Jews and Israel is they don't want her to even enter Israel which I'm fine with. But they want America, and every other white country, to not only have many people like her enter and live in our country, but be in our congress. This is undeniably true and a huge problem.
You might want to go to Israel, and ask some Israeli Jews about that. I think you will find that most of them are indifferent as to whom other countries admit.

The Jews of Europe (those that haven’t fled yet) certainly don't want “people like her” coming into their countries. They have caused a resurgence of antisemitism in Europe not seen since the 1940s.

You are talking about the 75% of Jews in the US that identify as “liberal”, and I would be willing to bet that even a good number of them are not thrilled with the idea of an America filled with Muslims.

So you are really talking about a minority of Jews.

I know many Muslims, and on a one on one basis, they are nice people who are no cause for concern. But when they move somewhere en masse, antisemitism seems to always follow.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:06 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You might want to go to Israel, and ask some Israeli Jews about that. I think you will find that most of them are indifferent as to whom other countries admit.

The Jews of Europe (those that haven’t fled yet) certainly don't want “people like her” coming into their countries. They have caused a resurgence of antisemitism in Europe not seen since the 1940s.

You are talking about the 75% of Jews in the US that identify as “liberal”, and I would be willing to bet that even a good number of them are not thrilled with the idea of an America filled with Muslims.

So you are really talking about a minority of Jews.

I know many Muslims, and on a one on one basis, they are nice people who are no cause for concern. But when they move somewhere en masse, antisemitism seems to always follow.
Islam literally means "submit". They think and do what they are told by their religious leaders. What do you think muslims are going to do en masse? Rebel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies