Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 10:37 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

His theory is that the people we used to call witches in the old days were mostly just unattractive, unwanted women with lots of mutations who looked odd, were disagreeable, and advocated weird ideas and lifestyles that threatened the social order. Such people used to die in plagues and famines. They were shunned and persecuted so their numbers and influence on society was limited.

Such is no longer the case and, alas, "witches" abound.

That would explain that SJW I saw the other day riding on a broomstick. Either it was that or a man a little too happy about the idea of "transitioning" to a female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Sounds like you're nostalgic for witch burning.
Nah... drowning maybe?

Seriously though, I think Dutton is right in theorizing that there have always been "witches" -- odd, troubled women, who have grievances with society and want radical change.

In 1619, such women were treated very harshly in the West. They were shunned, jailed, even executed.

In 2019, such women are put in charge of libraries, museums and schools, made tenured professors at great universities, and editors at prestigious newspapers and publishing houses. Companies do their bidding. Increasingly, they dominate political dialogue. One might well become president of the world's only superpower next year.

I don't think we need to turn the clock all the way back to 1619. But some adjustments are in order.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Black witchcraft? In my 20 years of being a Pagan that’s a first. It’s a good bet that’s she Wiccan not a witch.

Im familiar with what Wiccan is...this lady was into some DARK stuff.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:42 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Some say maladjusted, back in the 60s they were called uppity.

DH just finished reading "The Man They Wanted Me To Be". Sounds like some here need to get a copy. I'll give a book report next week.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:47 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What a load of BS. Go read about the Salem Witch Trials. It was mass hysteria brought on by a few girls who started the whole thing by accusing three women unjustly of practicing the "Devil's magic." There was no indication any of these women were outcasts in the community. In fact, it stopped when the governor's own wife was accused.

So you think people "could use a lesson" by being unjustly accused and murdered? Wow, that's a pretty abhorrent suggestion.

That said, I love all the Python references in this thread. I admit that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.
The Salem Witch trials were only a small part of the witch phenomenon. The historical record clearly shows, that generally, people who were accused were those women and sometimes men, who did not conform to community standards and mores. They were often considered by the norms of the day to be vindictive, ill-tempered, abrasive in their actions and speech, spiteful and quarrelsome.

So you see, there was a social purpose of condemning witches.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
I don't think we need to turn the clock all the way back to 1619. But some adjustments are in order.
Please elaborate on your adjustments.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb It's your own fault you chose a frumpy campus.

Quote:
Why are there so many real witches on university campuses?

Such is no longer the case and, alas, "witches" abound.
The university campus I attended was populated by foxes.

Bitter rw regrets over wasted youth...

Carry on.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:05 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im familiar with what Wiccan is...this lady was into some DARK stuff.
You sure?

WICCA is what a WICCAN practices.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I really don't know what can be done at this point beyond revealing the witches for what they are.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:45 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Nah... drowning maybe?

Seriously though, I think Dutton is right in theorizing that there have always been "witches" -- odd, troubled women, who have grievances with society and want radical change.

In 1619, such women were treated very harshly in the West. They were shunned, jailed, even executed.

In 2019, such women are put in charge of libraries, museums and schools, made tenured professors at great universities, and editors at prestigious newspapers and publishing houses. Companies do their bidding. Increasingly, they dominate political dialogue. One might well become president of the world's only superpower next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Quote:
I really don't know what can be done at this point beyond revealing the witches for what they are.
Offering your biased opinion about someone is an "adjustment" to preserve some kind of "order"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies