U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 01:44 AM
 
3,543 posts, read 2,534,166 times
Reputation: 6855

Advertisements

Because is doesn't fit the narrative. Close thread.

Getting measles, hep C, Tuberculosis, etc, from an illegal is simply a form of cultural enrichment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,060 posts, read 102,770,515 times
Reputation: 33120
The immigrants from Central/South America are not responsible for the measles outbreaks.

See this: https://www.cato.org/blog/migrant-ca...cination-rates
"Perhaps members of the migrant caravan have lower vaccination rates than their fellow countrymen or they are carrying other serious contagions that cannot be vaccinated against. But for most of these illnesses below, you have more to fear from your fellow Americans than from Central Americans."

Virtually all the measles outbreaks here in the US were started by unvaccinated US residents traveling abroad who picked up the disease overseas and brought it back here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:42 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,808 posts, read 3,727,904 times
Reputation: 19974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The immigrants from Central/South America are not responsible for the measles outbreaks.

See this: https://www.cato.org/blog/migrant-ca...cination-rates
"Perhaps members of the migrant caravan have lower vaccination rates than their fellow countrymen or they are carrying other serious contagions that cannot be vaccinated against. But for most of these illnesses below, you have more to fear from your fellow Americans than from Central Americans."

Virtually all the measles outbreaks here in the US were started by unvaccinated US residents traveling abroad who picked up the disease overseas and brought it back here.
This.

Everyone who blames immigrants should read this.

I don't agree with illegal immigration, but the fact is, that the fault lies mainly with American citizens for all these measles outbreaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:50 AM
 
3,156 posts, read 2,713,568 times
Reputation: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This.

Everyone who blames immigrants should read this.

I don't agree with illegal immigration, but the fact is, that the fault lies mainly with American citizens for all these measles outbreaks.
Many american citizens are immigrants. I don't think it is the anti-vaxxers fault, because there are not that many of them, and people like that do not travel much to third world countries.

So why don't they talk about vaccination of undocumented immigrants, legal immigrants or poor blacks? Because it does not fit the narrative. Much easier to blame someone who voluntarily choose to not vaccinate themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:52 AM
 
19,448 posts, read 17,535,017 times
Reputation: 10629
It gets brought every time somebody starts clucking about people not getting their kids vaccinations out of paranoia about an autism link. An outbreak of measles or the mumps spreads and its the unvaccinated fault. Of course the outbreak is caused by an unvaccinated immigrant, almost always illegal. If not mentioned by me( usually) by someone else. I've also used it to point out Trump is right about closing the border for safety reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:54 AM
 
27,096 posts, read 9,186,109 times
Reputation: 9441
Why is no one talking about the vaccination/disease status of undocumented migrants?

Its all about the constitution !!! Apparently we have no right not to be infected !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,060 posts, read 102,770,515 times
Reputation: 33120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I don't think it is the anti-vaxxers fault, because there are not that many of them, and people like that do not travel much to third world countries.

So why don't they talk about vaccination of undocumented immigrants, or legal immigrants or poor blacks? Because it does not fit the narrative. Much easier to blame someone who voluntary choose to not vaccinate themselves.
There are "pockets" with large numbers of antivaxers, and they do travel overseas. The big New York outbreak was started by an unvaccinated US resident (probably citizen) child who visited Israel with his/her family. There is a big measles outbreak going on there, too, the child contracted measles and brought it back. It spread like wildfire through that densely populated unvaccinated community.

We know most of the Central/South Americans are vaccinated against measles. Legal immigrants from the Philippines, many countries in Europe and Israel have large numbers of unvaccinated. WRT poor blacks, Mississippi has the highest rate of measles vaccination in the country, and NO measles. Of course, it easier to blame brown and black people.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...te/3410263002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
26,629 posts, read 63,122,391 times
Reputation: 30823
It was a concern when we lived in California. Immigrants would sometimes bring in diseases we do not think about here. Denguay fever (however it is spelled), yellow fever, TB. We would get notices from the school warning us these diseases had been introduced. The most frequent notice was head lice. The others were random. Often we had to look up the disease to see what it was. Mumps and measles were common enough we did not get notices of those as far as I can recollect.

If you asked - school administrators would tell you the disease was re-introduced by people coming from other countries. However if you discussed these relatively unknown diseases coming from immigrants then you were branded a racist for talking about it. You are supposed to pretend it is not happening. I do not know how pervasive it is. We would get notices two or three times a year, but we had five kids and they were mostly in different schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:10 AM
 
15,606 posts, read 13,589,840 times
Reputation: 21439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
This is most concerning to me, especially since there are recent outbreaks of measles concentrated in areas of large migrant populations (LA, El Paso).

Everything we have done in this country to improve health and eradicate disease is suddenly being thrown out the window.
Tourists are not tested, so why would it matter if illegals or legals are tested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,060 posts, read 102,770,515 times
Reputation: 33120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It was a concern when we lived in California. Immigrants would sometimes bring in diseases we do not think about here. Denguay fever (however it is spelled), yellow fever, TB. We would get notices from the school warning us these diseases had been introduced. The most frequent notice was head lice. The others were random. Often we had to look up the disease to see what it was. Mumps and measles were common enough we did not get notices of those as far as I can recollect.

If you asked - school administrators would tell you the disease was re-introduced by people coming from other countries. However if you discussed these relatively unknown diseases coming from immigrants then you were branded a racist for talking about it. You are supposed to pretend it is not happening. I do not know how pervasive it is. We would get notices two or three times a year, but we had five kids and they were mostly in different schools.
Those are diseases for which we don't vaccinate in the US, although there are vaccines for all of them. Neither dengue or YF vaccine are routine in Mexico either, though TB vaccine is. The reason we don't use it in the US is that it doesn't work very well, as evidenced by the vaccinated people who get TB.

Head lice is a problem in schools everywhere. We saw a lot of it in Illinois, which doesn't get many direct immigrants from Central/South America. Measles is not a common disease in California. Mumps is endemic in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top