Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
It’s not discussed because it’s not politically correct to talk about things like this and also it’s considered racist to even wonder about such a thing.
I've wondered about it so I delved more into it. I found out that American citizens are largely (mostly) to blame for some of the recent disease outbreaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The vaccination rates are very good for Mexico and central America. You should be more afraid the US anti vax movement.
The US anti-vax movement scares me to death. I can't even take my kids places without wondering how many kids there are not vaxxed. And since my children are too young to yet receive certain vaccines, this will be a concern until they are much older.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
These disease outbreaks are inaccurately blamed on immigrants. The fact is most immigrants could care less about the anti-vax agenda. Most of them are perfectly willing to get vaccinations. There are many anti-vaxxer communities within the USA, such as the Christian religious homeschooling groups, that won't vaccinate their children.
Illegal immigrants don't have the required vaccinations.

Source, my wife is Romanian and needed a ton of vaccinations before she could LEGALLY gain immigration status and get a green card.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
The US anti-vax movement scares me to death. I can't even take my kids places without wondering how many kids there are not vaxxed. And since my children are too young to yet receive certain vaccines, this will be a concern until they are much older.
Children currently make up 25% of US population. If you were to somehow vaccinate every child in the US that still will not give you your 95% of the population vaccinated for Herd Immunity. You do understand that, or think that the rest of the population (adults) are fully vaccinated or up to date on their boosters? When you take your children shopping or to Mc'D's how can you possible know that the cashier or others on those lines are fully vaccinated, let alone up to date on their boosters?

Migrants? Immigrants? Unvaccinated/Undervaccinated US Citizen Adults travelling from state to state, country to country, who cannot possibly be tracked or denied exemptions for school.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
We have been over this at least 100 X, Jo. The only vaccine that requires periodic boosters is the DTP family. Everyone over age 10 (the minimum age for getting it) needs a Tdap, and then a Td booster every 10 years thereafter. The rules are different for pregnancy.

Measles, mumps and rubella vaccines give long-term immunity, presumably life long. The measles outbreaks we are seeing in this country have about 90% unvaccinated of any age, and most are children. The mumps outbreaks on college campuses (mostly) and elsewhere comprise about 2-3% of their populations. I've run the numbers many times. We're not seeing outbreaks of diphtheria, few are getting tetanus (the only non-communicable VPD). Even the number of pertussis patients is far less than pre-vaccine.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Children currently make up 25% of US population. If you were to somehow vaccinate every child in the US that still will not give you your 95% of the population vaccinated for Herd Immunity. You do understand that, or think that the rest of the population (adults) are fully vaccinated or up to date on their boosters? When you take your children shopping or to Mc'D's how can you possible know that the cashier or others on those lines are fully vaccinated, let alone up to date on their boosters?.
The older generation usually got their vaccines. It's the younger ones that I worry about. Non-vaxing wasn't a thing when I was a kid.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:54 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times
Quote:
This. We've always had immigration but the jump in measles has occurred with rise of the anti-vax movement. Where I live there are tons of (American citizen) families, mostly in homeschooling communities, who don't vaccinate their children, often for vague "religious" reasons or belief in junk science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The vaccination rates are very good for Mexico and central America. You should be more afraid the US anti vax movement.
This anti-vax movement is both perplexing and understandable to me. The reasons may be valid to you personally which is not wrong, but when your choice creates risk to those around you whether you mean it or not is wrong. Same with cigarette smoking.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
These disease outbreaks are inaccurately blamed on immigrants. The fact is most immigrants could care less about the anti-vax agenda. Most of them are perfectly willing to get vaccinations. There are many anti-vaxxer communities within the USA, such as the Christian religious homeschooling groups, that won't vaccinate their children.
Do you speak for most of them?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
This is most concerning to me, especially since there are recent outbreaks of measles concentrated in areas of large migrant populations (LA, El Paso).

Everything we have done in this country to improve health and eradicate disease is suddenly being thrown out the window.
Michael Savage has been for the past 25 years.

Edit: And shame on me for missing it the first time. They are not 'undocumented immigrants'. They are illegal aliens or illegal immigrants.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:26 PM

1,109 posts, read 745,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Michael Savage has been for the past 25 years.

Edit: And shame on me for missing it the first time. They are not 'undocumented immigrants'. They are illegal aliens or illegal immigrants.
Okay, Illegal aliens then. Doesn't really matter to me. Someone check these people for diseases when they waltz in please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies