U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:10 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 24 days ago)

9,844 posts, read 3,736,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Do you speak for most of them?
I know many anti-vaxxers and their reasons for not vaccinating have to do with what they call "the devil". Irrational superstition and fears about the modern world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:10 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,605,473 times
Katarina, go check out some research studies on vaccine hesitancy. There are multiple reasons; some religious, but also a distrust issue. Distrust of Pharms, Medicine, to Authority/Government in general. Not only in the US, but across the world.

If you do not trust the Messenger, you aren't going to trust their Message. Raising my own elderly hand with this, and not just for vaccinations either.

Quote all the science you want, but if people do not believe YOU, they aren't going to listen to what you say.

Old Today, 12:24 PM

87,071 posts, read 102,800,958 times
I've read reams of that, and discussed it with you and others many times. However, "vaccine hesitancy" is not the topic of this thread. The vaccination and disease status of undocumented migrants is the topic. This "hesitancy" isn't a big issue in Mexico.

Old Today, 12:38 PM

6,435 posts, read 3,605,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I've read reams of that, and discussed it with you and others many times. However, "vaccine hesitancy" is not the topic of this thread. The vaccination and disease status of undocumented migrants is the topic. This "hesitancy" isn't a big issue in Mexico.
OK, well, it seems we agree on one thing. These migrants/immigrants are not causing the Measles outbreaks in this Country. That is coming from US Citizens traveling to other countries, AND Us Citizens traveling from Sate to State carrying it across the US.

Do you disagree with this?

Old Today, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
OK, well, it seems we agree on one thing. These migrants/immigrants are not causing the Measles outbreaks in this Country. That is coming from US Citizens traveling to other countries, AND Us Citizens traveling from Sate to State carrying it across the US.

Do you disagree with this?
I'm not so sure about the US citizens carrying measles across the US, haven't heard of this happening in great numbers anyway. But no, migrants from Central/South America are not causing measles outbreaks.

Old Today, 05:54 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 24 days ago)

9,844 posts, read 3,736,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Okay, Illegal aliens then. Doesn't really matter to me. Someone check these people for diseases when they waltz in please.
I have nothing against requiring proof of vaccinations for immigration, but I also think American citizens need to get vaccinated.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you catch measles from an American citizen or an undocumented immigrant. The disease will affect you the same way.

Old Today, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have nothing against requiring proof of vaccinations for immigration, but I also think American citizens need to get vaccinated.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you catch measles from an American citizen or an undocumented immigrant. The disease will affect you the same way.
Too true!

Old Today, 11:30 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,607,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
This is most concerning to me, especially since there are recent outbreaks of measles concentrated in areas of large migrant populations (LA, El Paso).

Everything we have done in this country to improve health and eradicate disease is suddenly being thrown out the window.
Vaccination coverage in El Salvador varies from 90% to 93%, depending on the vaccine, while vaccination coverage ranges from 93% to 98% and 88% to 93% in Guatemala and Honduras, respectively19.Jan 25, 2017
Healthcare Access and Conditions in Guatemala, Honduras, and El ...
https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugee....../index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or