U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:59 AM

15,524 posts, read 4,104,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
As if you knew what you were talking about. The current electrical supply grid cannot supply half of what it would take if we transitioned to EVs.
"Current" is the key word there.

And when cars came about with ICE there also was not enough gasoline to supply a transition from the horse....but there was plenty of Hay and Oats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:32 AM

8,797 posts, read 2,514,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Truly. They care absolutely nothing for the planet.

When I was living in Chicago, my now ex-husband and I recycled everything, and we had a compost pile in the backyard where we recycled our organic waste. As a result, we usually ended up with one bag of trash per week for four people. My next door neighbor--a Republican, naturally--laughed at us for recycling and composting and called us silly hippies, and actually bragged that his family of five filled two large cans and overflowed them every week. He often used our can for his overflow because our one little bag left most of the can empty.

To this day, I can't figure out why he thought he was superior to us because he produced more garbage than we did. But he would fit right in on this site with all the other conservatives who simply don't give a damn about the planet.
Yeah one guy = all republicans right>. Be cause he was a republican naturally.

The majority of farmers are republican

Most rural people are republican and rural people compost, can, garden, and gasp. we even recycle. I know what a shocker.

Old Today, 07:34 AM

18,202 posts, read 8,990,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yeah one guy = all republicans right>. Be cause he was a republican naturally.

The majority of farmers are republican

Most rural people are republican and rural people compost, can, garden, and gasp. we even recycle. I know what a shocker.
Most hunters I know vote Republican, but are huge CONSERVATIONISTS. The fees for a hunting license goes largely to conservation. The Left hates that people are self reliant. They want to herd us into cities were we can be dependent and controlled.

Old Today, 07:43 AM

27,089 posts, read 19,170,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sure, but this is not a simple answer. Ok, first--"force" does not mean they will be arrested if they do not comply--that is extremely literal. Maybe "pressure" would have been a better word.

nope, 'pressured' completely fails as well. there is no 'pressure.'

Quote:
The automakers made a commitment with the Obama admin, when they were bailed out, and have been working from that agreement since 2011, assuming America is moving forward, not backward.

Trump and some political appointees and most of all, BIG OIL, want to reverse Obama and are trying to set the regulations to have lower standards, so that cars would have worse mileage (i.e. use more gas, and more toxic emissions.

I suspect that the industry is integrated in the same way many industries are. The parts, where the parts come from, the standards, the processes, are probably standardized. So if they depart from the steady path they've been on for 10 years now, it will be like everything Trump presides over--chaos.

They'd have to spend money to comply with the new lower standards. Do you see that this makes no sense at all? Especially when other countries are surging forward with cleaner cars that cost less to run. Why use old technology when we have better technology?
oh my goodness. they have spend money to comply with any standard. they will have to spend more in order to comply with the stricter standard. yet absolutely nothing prevents them from pursuing the more stringent standard on their own.

Quote:
California is not changing their standards, but Trump being the child he is, doesn't like it when people don't obey his dictatorial edicts, and he doesn't like that California is ignoring him in favor of their own rights. Below is a link to a very good article.

"in a blow to the Trump administration as it prepares to roll back national vehicle pollution standards and revoke states’ rights to set their own such rules."...

"...The White House held a call with automakers last month urging them to publicly support its rollback of Obama-era clean car rules...

...Joining the call were senior officials from EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, who told automakers to support the rollback or risk angering President Trump by siding with California's more stringent tailpipe emissions rules..."

...But since the call, not one automaker has issued a statement of support..."

...That begs the questions: If the automakers don't want the rollback, who does? And how did things get to this point?..."

...The answers are complicated, and they illustrate the perils of peeling back regulations without adequately consulting the main industry that stands to be affected...."

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060123559
here's fiat-Chrysler asking trump to ease up on the 0bama-era standards:

Quote:
“We at FCA are committed to improving the fuel efficiency of our fleet and expanding our U.S. manufacturing footprint,” Shane Karr, head of external affairs at Fiat Chrysler for North America, said in a statement. “Ultimately, both goals are better served by a CAFE program more closely aligned to the U.S. market, than by requiring companies to make large compliance payments because assumptions made in 2011 turned out to be wrong.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...economy-target

Old Today, 07:56 AM

15,448 posts, read 5,745,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
This is why I will never understand liberals...because you think just because 1 Republican (ONE) makes fun of you for recycling that MUST MEAN ALL Republicans don’t recycle?!? What logic is that? Then to back it with Republicans care nothing about this planet.

Well this Republican has been recycling for over 20 years. And I’m sure there’s more than one of us who recycles.
Good for you. But read this thread. Read this forum. Quite a number of right wingers don't believe in global warming and are cheering the rollback of environmental protections. That tells me they either are ignorant of how important it is to protect the planet or they simply don't care.

If you don't fit into that mold, I applaud you. But it would be disingenuous to pretend conservatives overall are truly concerned with protecting the Earth when they think corporate profits are more important than the environment.

Old Today, 07:58 AM

21,626 posts, read 11,660,037 times
Learn how to link stories before insulting people in your threads.

Thanks, the management.

Old Today, 03:56 PM

22,453 posts, read 9,536,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
nope, 'pressured' completely fails as well. there is no 'pressure.'oh my goodness. they have spend money to comply with any standard. they will have to spend more in order to comply with the stricter standard. yet absolutely nothing prevents them from pursuing the more stringent standard on their own.here's fiat-Chrysler asking trump to ease up on the 0bama-era standards:
Of course they were pressured or are you seriously arguing semantics?

When the president, Big Oil and a bunch of official swamp monsters "urge" and entire industry of companies to do something they want--you wouldn't call it pressured?

And why is Trump raging about them not doing it if he did not attempt to pressure them to do it in the first place?

They already have the stricter standards in place and ready to go--it would cost them more to re-organize their entire industry to go backward to old technology. Because Big Oil wants it? What a surprise.

Do Donny has more rage, but American consumers are the winners--cars that will cost less to run and kill fewer people with pollution. Why are you against saving American consumers money and their health? Do you think that car exhaust doesn't kill people?

"...Roughly speaking, cigs and cars are more like air pollution royalty; secondhand smoke reigns as the top indoor air pollutant and auto exhaust takes top honors once you step outside the door.

We are in the Upside Down when Americans are arguing in favor of Big Oil against their own interests.

Old Today, 06:56 PM

8,797 posts, read 2,514,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Most hunters I know vote Republican, but are huge CONSERVATIONISTS. The fees for a hunting license goes largely to conservation. The Left hates that people are self reliant. They want to herd us into cities were we can be dependent and controlled.
I can't disagree with you on that. They want the people as dependent as possible on the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies