Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I was speaking about transportation, but yes, by all means, go ahead and argue a point I never made. Got anything to say about what I did post? Anything to refute the fact that Europe and Asia have high speed bullet trains that cut down on road congestion and pollution and causalities, while the U.S. is still chugging along on trains from the 20th century?

Probably not. It's not like you can refute it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 05:03 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It created uncertainty in their respective marketing and future development plans where their fleet of closer to 51 mpg vehicles was superior to that of their competitors who likely outsell them in other vehicle classes that their current 51+ mpg vehicles cannot make up for.

No company ever asked the government for more regulation unless it helped their own bottom line relative to the competition. Not ever, not even one time.

You cannot possibly be naive enough to believe otherwise.
Like you say the car companies were already headed in a direction to improve their mileage requirements, they didn't agree with Obama's standards but didn't want to be put in a position where some states had different standards. Right after Trumps decision they closed one of their sedan lines in I think Ohio and were planning to produce more large tricks and SUV's. The push back from the states caught the manufacturers by surprise.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:07 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Anything to refute the fact that Europe and Asia have high speed bullet trains that cut down on road congestion and pollution and causalities, while the U.S. is still chugging along on trains from the 20th century?
It's not like you can refute it.
It's different, ergo it's scary and wrong.

Christ, this thread. Carmakers make steps towards more efficient engineering, conservatives succumb to rage. Said it before - never ask a conservative to actually conserve.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:39 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If they can put forth a quality product that supposedly does not harm the environment and make a profit - what's wrong with that? These are not mutually exclusive concepts here.

Environmentally sound products do not normally happen without government intervention, car manufacturers were not going to install catalytic converters on their own. Back after the 2009 meltdown they were actually forced to make a better more efficient product and improved mileage requirements were a condition. Consumers want a cheaper product and with gas less than $3 there is little concern for a more fuel efficient product.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's different, ergo it's scary and wrong.

Christ, this thread. Carmakers make steps towards more efficient engineering, conservatives succumb to rage. Said it before - never ask a conservative to actually conserve.
Truly. They care absolutely nothing for the planet.

When I was living in Chicago, my now ex-husband and I recycled everything, and we had a compost pile in the backyard where we recycled our organic waste. As a result, we usually ended up with one bag of trash per week for four people. My next door neighbor--a Republican, naturally--laughed at us for recycling and composting and called us silly hippies, and actually bragged that his family of five filled two large cans and overflowed them every week. He often used our can for his overflow because our one little bag left most of the can empty.

To this day, I can't figure out why he thought he was superior to us because he produced more garbage than we did. But he would fit right in on this site with all the other conservatives who simply don't give a damn about the planet.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
As you type away on your device made using very toxic chemicals and heavy metals.

But I'm sure your convenient new device is worth the environmental damage.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 PM

4,505 posts, read 1,860,989 times
Quote:

When I was living in Chicago, my now ex-husband and I recycled everything, and we had a compost pile in the backyard where we recycled our organic waste. As a result, we usually ended up with one bag of trash per week for four people. My next door neighbor--a Republican, naturally--laughed at us for recycling and composting and called us silly hippies, and actually bragged that his family of five filled two large cans and overflowed them every week. He often used our can for his overflow because our one little bag left most of the can empty.

To this day, I can't figure out why he thought he was superior to us because he produced more garbage than we did. But he would fit right in on this site with all the other conservatives who simply don't give a damn about the planet.
What say you about Hollywood elites flying on private jets and keeping their 7500 square feet mansions air conditioned?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As you type away on your device made using very toxic chemicals and heavy metals.

But I'm sure your convenient new device is worth the environmental damage.
Get off your device and then talk to me. I'll wait for your smoke signals.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
I don't have a problem with getting more MPG, but have to point out a longstanding set of rules put forth by the EPA that define how pollution is measured is in direct conflict with this goal. The devil is in the details here, they measure our allowable pollution levels per unit of fuel burned, not per mile. When you start lean burning gasoline engines and pushing high mileage diesel engines, more NOX is produced per unit of fuel. We don't get the super efficient diesels that other countries get because for every gallon of fuel burned they produce too many pollutants, even if that same vehicle goes 60 miles as a giant SUV with 4 cat converters and a smog pump only goes 10 miles on the same fuel but barely passes. The end result between these two is still 5x the pollution in the same distance of trip from the guzzler we CAN have, and a 60mpg car the EPA doesn't let us have.

California also drove the smog program which resulted in some stupid stuff happening. Mainly smog pumps, which did nothing more than inject air into the exhaust to dilute the pollution to a passable level, while increasing parasitic drag and lowering mileage spinning that pump. Can we trust that they will be smarter this time?

Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Get off your device and then talk to me. I'll wait for your smoke signals.
I'm not the one talking about how others don't want to save the environment.

You act like you care, but I highly doubt you actually make any real sacrifices past sorting your trash.

You clearly feel that your device is very important regardless of the manufacturing process that is extremely bad for the environment.

But go ahead and condemn others if it makes you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies