U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:36 AM

1,625 posts, read 2,827,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Department Of Justice Announces the Release of 3,100 Inmates Under First Step Act

Over 3,100 federal prison inmates will be released from the Bureau of Prisons’ (BOP) custody as a result of the increase in good conduct time under the Act. In addition, the Act’s retroactive application of the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 (reducing the disparity between crack cocaine and powder cocaine threshold amounts triggering mandatory minimum sentences) has resulted in 1,691 sentence reductions.

I think I read that Biden told told the NAACP that too many people of color were in prisons... he could have done more about this with Obama while in office.
I applaud this action as I am sure most of those released are incarcerated for drug offences and non-violent crimes that cause little or no harm to the public. I believe that no one should be imprisoned for possession of illegal drugs. Of course, that would be a major blow to the bottom line of private prisons and the many companies who rely on the slave labor provided by prisons.

And for those who think my comments about slave labor in prisons is left-wing hysteria, hyperbole, or any of the other adjectives used to undermine claims that don't fit their worldview, I advise you to take a close look at the 13th amendment, research it a little, learn how it has been used to enrich the owners of private prisons. Then again, I'm sure many "law & order" types think it's just fine that prisoners can be forced to work as slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:53 AM

29,830 posts, read 16,513,271 times
No one should ever be incarcerated for a victimless crime. And vices are not crimes ( i.e. drugs, gambling, prostitution)

Old Today, 10:53 AM

28,598 posts, read 15,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And you were all for Obama releasing thousands of prisoners? That’s what you wanted at the time?

You right wingers wouldn’t have declared that Obama was “soft on crime?”
I will give you that point.

But what Obama did, and this legislation must be different, because they had been working on this for years. Why weren't these people released when all evidences say that their behavior has been excellent?

I'm just not sure of the terms of when Obama commuted sentences.

Old Today, 11:20 AM

17,699 posts, read 11,255,729 times
Released prisoners do not have a great history of staying clean, statistically. An estimated 68% of released prisoners were arrested within 3 years, 79% within 6 years, and 83% within 9 years. Those are not great figures.

Old Today, 12:44 PM

29,830 posts, read 16,513,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Released prisoners do not have a great history of staying clean, statistically. An estimated 68% of released prisoners were arrested within 3 years, 79% within 6 years, and 83% within 9 years. Those are not great figures.
Staying clean from what offenses? If a drug offender goes back using, selling, possessing, whats it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or