U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:47 AM

8,220 posts, read 2,821,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My guess is you've never ridden on public transit. I wouldn't say it's a problem, but it's certainly obnoxious when sitting next to a man who thinks he is entitled to half of your seat because he's spreading his legs. It's one thing if he's a big guy and crossing his legs or keeping them together would be difficult because of the size of his thighs, though I find larger people tend to try to minimize the space they take up. It doesn't seem to be a behavior that is defined by race, socioeconomic class, or age - I've had young men with hoodies on and older men in suits alike feel entitled to push me to the edge of my seat and keep their knee firmly placed upon my crossed legs because they feel entitled to taking up more than their allotted seat.

In defense of men everywhere, there's an actual reason and purpose behind it when men sit this way.

Without getting too graphic, it helps things not get crushed.......

Especially when wearing certain types of clothing in certain weather and in certain types of seats.

Admittedly, it's a bigger problem for some men than others........

Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 8 days ago)

8,263 posts, read 3,230,940 times
These chairs aren't ever going to be installed on any buses or subways so fret not America, and let the boys swing freely.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 AM

1,107 posts, read 193,937 times
I man spread because I am over 6'3" and public seats are made to fit people 4'0" tall. So to not sit in a crunched up position and tolerate sitting for more than 1 min, I lean back and man spread. Sorry but I refuse to sit in a seat for 20+ min scrunched up like a human pretzel if I can avoid it.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM

5,049 posts, read 1,882,826 times
This is an issue on crowded public transit systems. These systems are overcrowded during rush hour and there are not enough seats. Man spreading and women taking up additional seats with their bags should not be allowed.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 AM

27,558 posts, read 15,918,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
"A little wide" isn't the issue here, mk. I'm a man, too, and yes, sitting with my knees tight together is not natural. No one is saying we should have to sit that way, either.
Not really, the chair in question that sparked the entire debate is one that forces your knees together and not have any room to relax the hips. Men sit like that because if you are hefty your thighs will run together and the hip bone is designed in a way that it is natural for men unlike it is for women.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 AM

640 posts, read 324,000 times
The mainstream media is primarily in NYC, LA, and DC. Three metropolitan areas with robust public transit systems. So many people who have a platform use public transit and this is something they experience. The media can be self-centered in that way sometimes.

This isn't a national issue. I don't ride public transit on a regular basis, but I've never encountered "manspreading" like what you may see in Google images if you do a search.

I will say it's probably something guys who have played a lot of sports tend to do. Emphasis on the word "sports", not just athletic. Something about guys who have spent years playing sports causes them to sit wide-legged.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 AM

9,041 posts, read 8,030,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really, the chair in question that sparked the entire debate is one that forces your knees together and not have any room to relax the hips. Men sit like that because if you are hefty your thighs will run together and the hip bone is designed in a way that it is natural for men unlike it is for women.

The chair appears to be a concept art piece and we've had threads on "manspreading" or "lava balling" here before, I'm pretty sure.

No one is castigating anyone for sitting with their knees a few inches apart instead of tight together.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mans...MCAtsQ_AUIESgB

Old 07-30-2019, 09:26 AM

1,056 posts, read 225,347 times
We already have those. They're called passenger seats; typically found on commercial aircraft and metro buses. A little "airing out" is usually required after sitting in of those torture devices for hours.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 AM

20,367 posts, read 11,300,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Micro and macroaggressions are racist.
They could be expressed as any of numerous types of bigotry. Racism is only one type of bigotry.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:41 AM

11,181 posts, read 4,927,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My guess is you've never ridden on public transit. I wouldn't say it's a problem, but it's certainly obnoxious when sitting next to a man who thinks he is entitled to half of your seat because he's spreading his legs. It's one thing if he's a big guy and crossing his legs or keeping them together would be difficult because of the size of his thighs, though I find larger people tend to try to minimize the space they take up. It doesn't seem to be a behavior that is defined by race, socioeconomic class, or age - I've had young men with hoodies on and older men in suits alike feel entitled to push me to the edge of my seat and keep their knee firmly placed upon my crossed legs because they feel entitled to taking up more than their allotted seat.
That's when I will either push their leg away from me with mine, or directly request them to move their leg.

Rude people like that are like dogs. They just need training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies