Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times

Advertisements

The award-winning chair (judges liked its "feminist" concept) designed by a British woman, keeps men from encroaching onto others' space. More importantly, it makes them look like they don't have...you know.

Some are lauding the design, calling manspreading a "microaggression" towards women; others aren't. Nonetheless, it's only a matter of time before this contraption is required on college campuses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...rfolk-49037135

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXqfEziTL4

Old 07-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,630 posts, read 16,111,637 times
“Gaze upon my genitals”
The world is a great place aside from a handful of nuts.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:44 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Man Spreading? Is that really an issue that affects women?

What happens when a man is forced to sit in that chair out in public but then due to him being raised properly he stands up to give up that chair to a woman? Is that even a thing anymore or has the new age feminists destroyed that too?

There are plenty of jerks out there that take up too much room be they male female or "X?" and we don't need chairs to force what should be common sense manners.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:46 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
“Gaze upon my genitals”
No pun intended.,

Old 07-25-2019, 09:46 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
Do you have to sit in this chair? Spread your legs if you want, I don't care...

Old 07-25-2019, 09:53 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
It's an art/conceptual piece, not meant for use.

I use my knee to make space when a man takes up more than one seat in the subway by spreading his legs. *shrugs* Works for me. If his balls are too big to sit normally, he can certainly stand.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:58 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
“Gaze upon my genitals”
I see what you did there!

Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Man Spreading? Is that really an issue that affects women?

What happens when a man is forced to sit in that chair out in public but then due to him being raised properly he stands up to give up that chair to a woman? Is that even a thing anymore or has the new age feminists destroyed that too?

There are plenty of jerks out there that take up too much room be they male female or "X?" and we don't need chairs to force what should be common sense manners.

My guess is you've never ridden on public transit. I wouldn't say it's a problem, but it's certainly obnoxious when sitting next to a man who thinks he is entitled to half of your seat because he's spreading his legs. It's one thing if he's a big guy and crossing his legs or keeping them together would be difficult because of the size of his thighs, though I find larger people tend to try to minimize the space they take up. It doesn't seem to be a behavior that is defined by race, socioeconomic class, or age - I've had young men with hoodies on and older men in suits alike feel entitled to push me to the edge of my seat and keep their knee firmly placed upon my crossed legs because they feel entitled to taking up more than their allotted seat.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's an art/conceptual piece, not meant for use.

I use my knee to make space when a man takes up more than one seat in the subway by spreading his legs. *shrugs* Works for me. If his balls are too big to sit normally, he can certainly stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My guess is you've never ridden on public transit. I wouldn't say it's a problem, but it's certainly obnoxious when sitting next to a man who thinks he is entitled to half of your seat because he's spreading his legs. It's one thing if he's a big guy and crossing his legs or keeping them together would be difficult because of the size of his thighs, though I find larger people tend to try to minimize the space they take up. It doesn't seem to be a behavior that is defined by race, socioeconomic class, or age - I've had young men with hoodies on and older men in suits alike feel entitled to push me to the edge of my seat and keep their knee firmly placed upon my crossed legs because they feel entitled to taking up more than their allotted seat.
I'm amazed at anyone who thinks its acceptable to touch another stranger in public. You either use your words to address the situation, or you walk away, unless its in self defense.

Obnoxious yes, gender specific, no. I've seen just as many women who think their giant purse deserves to take up 1/3 of the seat next to them.

Stop trying to make everything us against them, when in reality we just live in a world full of selfish jerks, regardless of race or gender.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times
The only time I've noticed it becomes an issue is on public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.