Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 02:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,799,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm sorry, I can't take you seriously anymore. You think anyone can just tell a Federal agent something and :::::::voila:::::::: that Federal agent should believe them.

This is the thinking of a child, not an adult.

My position stands. The mother screwed up by doing illegal shady things and that created a delay in the process. Her fault, end of story.
This is an attempt to re-state my post, inaccurately.

An American citizen is entitled to certain rights. Violating those rights is egregiously un-American. Federal agents don't have to believe anything. But when someone claims to be an American citizen, and has paperwork (and this kid had a copy of his birth certificate, a state ID and a social security card) to back him up, then the federal agents should NOT tell him that he doesn't have any rights, and proceed to process him for deportation. The federal agents should proceed with caution, by allowing the American citizen to use a phone to call for assistance, and by allowing that American to consult with his attorney. The American is entitled to do so, and not allowing the American to exercise his rights is a violation. Period.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Then why did his mother list his birth place as Mexico on his birth certificate?

The federal border patrol agents found reasonable suspicion surrounding his citizenship because of his mother lying on a federal document.
I don't know why his mother did the things she did. Ignorance, maybe?

The border patrol agents had reasonable suspicion to detain him. Not to violate his rights as an American citizen. Let him make a phone call. Let him talk to his attorney. He is entitled to do so as an American citizen.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:09 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,109,536 times
The big scary consequence would've been that he self-deported? Lol

Know your audience. Saying that to conservatives is like threatening children with a big bowl of ice cream if they don't stop throwing a tantrum at the ice cream store.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:12 PM

50,144 posts, read 46,793,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hard to lie when it is right there in the quote funtion. You commented on a story about an American citizen almost self deporting and you said "There's our answer! No showers for 60 days and they'll self-deport". There I quoted it AGAIN.

He is a citizen, as determined (eventually) by CBP and ICE, and you think depriving him of basic necessities is an appropriate way to get rid of "them". I didn't lie about anything.
If you say you'll self deport you are admitting you aren't a US citizen. Otherwise you are just moving.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,279,344 times
It is actually a pretty ugly violation. Remember that you are not under any obligation to answer BP questions. Simply decline to answer.

I have gone through checkpoints in S. AZ a half dozen times. I do not provide anything to the agent. Nor do I constructively answer any questions. If asked where I am going I would respond with why do you want to know. Once they went to secondary inspection but I declined to allow a search so all they could do was walk a drug dog around the car. A fresh hertz rental which I think they determined and knocked off the silliness.

Couple of times I even ended up in a friendly conversation with the agents. Mostly though they decide I am a sovereign citizen or something and wave me on.

And that is of course what the law requires. You do not have to answer any questions or provide any documents unless you are not a citizen and have legal immigration documents. An illegal alien has no requirement to answer any questions.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This is an attempt to re-state my post, inaccurately.

An American citizen is entitled to certain rights. Violating those rights is egregiously un-American. Federal agents don't have to believe anything. But when someone claims to be an American citizen, and has paperwork (and this kid had a copy of his birth certificate, a state ID and a social security card) to back him up, then the federal agents should NOT tell him that he doesn't have any rights, and proceed to process him for deportation. The federal agents should proceed with caution, by allowing the American citizen to use a phone to call for assistance, and by allowing that American to consult with his attorney. The American is entitled to do so, and not allowing the American to exercise his rights is a violation. Period.
And you're purposely ignoring the key facts in the article stating that his brother and another passenger lacked legal status. That raised a red flag when he gave them documents so they scanned his fingerprints and found a visitors visa - a visa his mother got for him claiming he was born in Mexico. He didn't have a passport because his mother put a fake name on his birth certificate.

And you want everyone to believe it's a cut and dry case - that this was clearly a U.S. citizen who was wronged somehow by the Feds.

He was NOT clearly an American citizen - no matter how many times you make that claim.

Blame the person who got her son in this mess to begin with by falsifying legal records.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,678,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I'm pretty sure they were talking about illegals since you can't even self deport yourself if you're a citizen. Deport to where?
Given that ICE was trying to get a citizen to self-deport, the proof is in the article.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,678,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you say you'll self deport you are admitting you aren't a US citizen. Otherwise you are just moving.
Well that is patently false as evidenced by ICE trying to pressure multiple American citizens to sign agreements to self-deport.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
And you're purposely ignoring the key facts in the article stating that his brother and another passenger lacked legal status. That raised a red flag when he gave them documents so they scanned his fingerprints and found a visitors visa - a visa his mother got for him claiming he was born in Mexico. He didn't have a passport because his mother put a fake name on his birth certificate.

And you want everyone to believe it's a cut and dry case - that this was clearly a U.S. citizen who was wronged somehow by the Feds.

He was NOT clearly an American citizen - no matter how many times you make that claim.

Blame the person who got her son in this mess to begin with by falsifying legal records.
Yes, I don't consider the brother or others relevant. I consider the American citizen relevant. He had paperwork that showed his citizenship. He claimed to be a citizen. The border patrol considered his paperwork fraudulent, but "innocent until proven guilty"????? He should have been accorded the rights of a citizen.

And I didn't say he was "clearly an American citizen". I've simply stated the fact that he was an American citizen. And he claimed to be an American ciitizen. The border patrol should have provided him with a phone call to seek help, and they should have allowed him access to an attorney. Those were his rights.

The fact that you keep on posting that I've said things that I have not shows that you don't have a substantive argument against my statements.

American citizens have rights. Border patrol isn't entitled to violate those rights.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:44 PM

30,211 posts, read 23,629,906 times
Quote:
Good luck trying to explain. One poster doesn't get the self-deport thing and the other thinks as long as you state something to a Federal Agent, that's good enough.
Let's all stop paying income taxes. According to DC, there is no need for the federal agent who will be wanting to pay us a visit to do any investigating. We simply tell him that we did pay, and that should take care of everything, easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies