U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:49 PM

6,754 posts, read 1,401,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Have you seen Hamilton? Having black/ethinic actors play the Founding Fathers was an intregal part of LMM's storytelling.

I'm also pretty sure the real Hamilton and Jefferson didn't rap either.
The above is beside the point. Would many black people care to see a story about the Tuskegee Airmen made into a musical with white people of both sexes playing those men and singing and playing country/western music?

Yes, it would be "alternative" and many would consider that to be "novel" or "art", but I still think that there would be an outcry. (But maybe I'm wrong.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:54 PM

5,501 posts, read 8,402,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The above is beside the point. Would many black people care to see a story about the Tuskegee Airmen made into a musical with white people of both sexes playing those men and singing and playing country/western music?

Yes, it would be "alternative" and many would consider that to be "novel" or "art", but I still think that there would be an outcry. (But maybe I'm wrong.)
That's a dumb comparison, btw.

You obviously don't understand the casting choices of Hamilton.

Old Today, 02:56 PM

6,754 posts, read 1,401,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That's a dumb comparison, btw.

You obviously don't understand the casting choices of Hamilton.
To the bold -- that's your opinion, which you absolutely have the right to hold. I obviously disagree.

But to the second statement, I absolutely agree with that -- I don't understand the casting choices.

Old Today, 02:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 5,738,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
To the bold -- that's your opinion, which you absolutely have the right to hold. I obviously disagree.

But to the second statement, I absolutely agree with that -- I don't understand the casting choices!
That much is obvious. Good of you to admit it.

Old Today, 02:57 PM

20,971 posts, read 10,130,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Hamilton is a deliberate alternative take on history. It's not the same thing as casting a British actor in the role of an iconic African-American hero.

It's the producers' rights to cast whomever they choose, but this is a kind of bone-headed move, IMO. They have alienated much of the AA community right out of the gate.
Maybe this is an alternative take on casting.

Old Today, 02:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 5,738,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Maybe this is an alternative take on casting.
Nah, an alternative take would have been to make Harriet white.

Old Today, 02:59 PM

450 posts, read 79,087 times
Movies are for leftists, by leftists.

Any self-respecting Republican should actively try to minimize how much of their hard-earned money makes it to this evil industry.

Old Today, 03:01 PM

20,971 posts, read 10,130,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Nah, an alternative take would have been to make Harriet white.
Oh, THAT would go over well!

Old Today, 03:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 1,238,308 times
Who the eff cares? Is she the best actress for the role? People always gotta whine about something. Looking forward to seeing it.

Old Today, 03:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,932,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
She is black so what’s the problem.
I think the argument is not about race but that Black Americans have an unique 300+ year old mixture of African and European blood and traditions, along with a dash of native American Indian. That makes the Black American experience different from someone from Britain with Nigerian parents.

However, I can also see the other side to the argument. Probably the entertainment industry looks at it like can Cynthia Erivo do the role with justice? That ultimately is the most important thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or