Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 01:10 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,126,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Kind of a ridiculous idea, because one vote makes no difference in any but the smallest city election, so no one would really offer pay of a significant amount.
A good point. But I can remember reading in U.S. history books that in the past votes were often purchased in large numbers in U.S. elections and illegal voters voted in more than one district. But, of course, purchasing five hundred votes in a district could matter, purchasing one, not likely.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...led-159427766/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 01:57 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,477,795 times
C.S. Lewis Quote:

“Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching.”

Old 07-26-2019, 02:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 881,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
C.S. Lewis Quote:

“Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching.”
The money just changes your mind. The vote is still valid. Other things can change your mind, why not money? Do people vote for what is in their best interests or what's in the best interests of the country? Besides, How does the typical American pick a candidate? Let's consider the typical American: She can't balance a checkbook, knows all the Kardashians but not her kid's middle school teachers, can't find Iraq on a map, Can't name the past six presidents, thinks the US won the Vietnam war, pays someone to mow her lawns so she can free up time to walk on a treadmill at the gym, spends 20 minutes looking for a parking space and waiting in two lines to pay $4 for a 69 cent cup of coffee just so she can enter her office with a 16 ounce "symbol of conformity" in her hand, can't name her state's senators, doesn't know what a mutual fund is, never heard of Douglas MacArthur, spends more money on hair and nails than retirement saving, and has been brainwashed to think diversity is a strength.
For every one voter who spends more than 30 researching, there are 69 hundred voters as described above.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,477,795 times
I don’t know where you got that description, but it seems as though you have your mind made up as to what everyone will do and you will challenge anyone who states otherwise. I believe there was a comment made earlier about dealing with this particular thread and by doing that, I won’t have to deal with your challenges to responses in your thread about marriage either. Have a nice day. I hope that sometime you will be able to lose some of your cynicism about the human race.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:13 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,907,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I've never voted a day in my life AND I can complain. But I seriously doubt, if that money was placed in front of you, you'd refuse it.
If you never voted a day in your life, why are you bothering to hang around in the poc forum, of all places? But to answer your question, if I felt a candidate would be a bad person for my country (or my town hall), no sum of money could induce me to vote for them. For example, I would never vote for tRump even if you set a billion dollars in cold hard cash in front of me. However, if there were two candidates that I felt were equally worthy of election, you might induce me to vote for one vs the other if you brought enough cash to the table - say a million for starters.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 PM

21,456 posts, read 8,655,639 times
Someone could just take your money, then vote for their preferred candidate anyway. You'd never know unless you went into the voting booth with them.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:38 PM

77,956 posts, read 60,134,595 times
Quote:
Yet there are people who wouldn't accept a lot of money to perform an action that has essentially no effect. I'd do it unless there were like a total of four people voting and my vote really did count.
I often recognize that there is little or no real difference between two candidates and what their impact may be at a state or local level.

I'd certainly take a donation to my own personal election campaign....for if I ever decided to run for office.

Bribery is such an unfair term, let's call it a donation.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:57 PM

15,589 posts, read 10,320,893 times
Quote:
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
If no, how about $5? $10? $50?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
Do you actually think there are people who wouldn't accept this offer for $1M?
Some of the democratic party presidential candidates are advocating reparations to black skinned people living in america, student loan payoffs to college grads, free healthcare to illegal immigrants (all democrat presidential candidates), American citizenship to illegals (kamala for daca illegals), taxpayer money to black skinned people for mortgages (kamala again), college money from taxpayers for black americans (also kamala) etc., etc.

Of course, some will welcome offers by politicians as a payoff for their vote. How many voters would be willing to vote for these payoffs is the question as only a minority of voters would benefit from such preferential treatment.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-26-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 PM

30,195 posts, read 23,608,007 times
Quote:
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
I could be bought for a million dollars. But that's because I don't have a million dollars. Others who already have wealth would probably view a million dollars like I do a hundred dollars, and no, my vote cannot be bought for a hundred.

But sure, if someone showed up at my house with a suitcase of one million dollars, and I deposited it into my account, and it sat there for a few months with no issues, of course I could be bought to tick whatever they want on the ballot.

It doesn't even matter in the state I live in, CA, because there's so many who are far left anyway that my little vote for a Republican candidate wouldn't make a dent. So, sure, I'll take that million.

Are you offering?

Old 07-26-2019, 04:19 PM

18,655 posts, read 7,520,037 times
Quote:
A very wealthy comedian was at a high-society party. Champagne, caviar, elegantly dresses guests etc.

He was talking to a very pretty woman, and eventually asked her, "Well, would you sleep with me for $1 million dollars?"

She thought about it, and replied, "Well, that's a lot of money. Yes, I suppose I would."

He then asked, "Would you sleep with me for $10?

She snapped, "Certainly not! What do you think I am, anyway?"

He replied, "We've already established what you are. Now we're just haggling over the price."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies