U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

4,747 posts, read 932,478 times

Advertisements

Arguably, it might be written that votes cannot be bought. However, with all these legal loopholes and corrupt practices from politicians and corporations, I think from a practical standpoint votes can be bought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

11,548 posts, read 8,480,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
The money just changes your mind. The vote is still valid. Other things can change your mind, why not money? Do people vote for what is in their best interests or what's in the best interests of the country? Besides, How does the typical American pick a candidate? Let's consider the typical American: She can't balance a checkbook, knows all the Kardashians but not her kid's middle school teachers, can't find Iraq on a map, Can't name the past six presidents, thinks the US won the Vietnam war, pays someone to mow her lawns so she can free up time to walk on a treadmill at the gym, spends 20 minutes looking for a parking space and waiting in two lines to pay $4 for a 69 cent cup of coffee just so she can enter her office with a 16 ounce "symbol of conformity" in her hand, can't name her state's senators, doesn't know what a mutual fund is, never heard of Douglas MacArthur, spends more money on hair and nails than retirement saving, and has been brainwashed to think diversity is a strength.
For every one voter who spends more than 30 researching, there are 69 hundred voters as described above.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

3,621 posts, read 1,422,934 times
yes.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

7,460 posts, read 12,981,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Kind of a ridiculous idea, because one vote makes no difference in any but the smallest city election, so no one would really offer pay of a significant amount.
I think this law has been changed but for years in Kentucky, there were no alcohol sales from 6 AM till 6 PM because it was common practice a long time ago to go get the men drunk and take them to vote for your candidate

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

4,684 posts, read 2,941,294 times
elizabeth warren wants to get money out of politics. she also wants to issue a $50,000 check to students who vote for her.

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

297 posts, read 47,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I would never vote for tRump even if you set a billion dollars in cold hard cash in front of me.
I don't believe you especially since it could be rationalized that your vote FOR Trump is in the noise compared with how a fraction of that billion could be used AGAINST Trump.

Last edited by SoCal_Native; Yesterday at 07:47 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

15,631 posts, read 13,599,726 times
Quote:
So if I offered you$50K to vote for Candidate B though you'd prefer to vote for candidate A, you'd refuse the offer?
Hard to believe. Especially in a general election in which your vote doesn't count, and even if it did would have infinitesimal impact.
Give me 50k and I will vote for anyone you want me to.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I could be bought for a million dollars. But that's because I don't have a million dollars. Others who already have wealth would probably view a million dollars like I do a hundred dollars, and no, my vote cannot be bought for a hundred.

But sure, if someone showed up at my house with a suitcase of one million dollars, and I deposited it into my account, and it sat there for a few months with no issues, of course I could be bought to tick whatever they want on the ballot.

It doesn't even matter in the state I live in, CA, because there's so many who are far left anyway that my little vote for a Republican candidate wouldn't make a dent. So, sure, I'll take that million.

Are you offering?
My vote couldn't be bought for a penny but it's hard to believe people actually write "no amount of money could buy my vote". People overestimate their supposed "values" and "ethics". Only a fool wouldn't accept a million for one meaningless presidential general election vote - especially since part of that million could go a lot further promoting his political desire than his one vote would.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
A very wealthy comedian was at a high-society party. Champagne, caviar, elegantly dresses guests etc.

He was talking to a very pretty woman, and eventually asked her, "Well, would you sleep with me for $1 million dollars?"

She thought about it, and replied, "Well, that's a lot of money. Yes, I suppose I would."

He then asked, "Would you sleep with me for $10?

She snapped, "Certainly not! What do you think I am, anyway?"

He replied, "We've already established what you are. Now we're just haggling over the price."
It's true but the point isn't that she could be called a prostitute, the point is she has her price. Replace "sleep with me" with "clean my bathroom" and you'd get essentially the same response.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM

15,631 posts, read 13,599,726 times
Quote:
My vote couldn't be bought for a penny but it's hard to believe people actually write "no amount of money could buy my vote". People overestimate their supposed "values" and "ethics". Only a fool wouldn't accept a million for one meaningless presidential general election vote - especially since part of that million could go a lot further promoting his political desire than his one vote would.
If money did not buy votes, then there would be no reporting or any significance on how much candidates raised.

Money buys lots and lots of votes, just not directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or