U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:48 PM

320 posts, read 54,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Give me 50k and I will vote for anyone you want me to.
I'd do it for $50 as $50 benefits me more than my one measly vote does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 09:00 PM

15,561 posts, read 4,117,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
If no, how about $5? $10? $50?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
Do you actually think there are people who wouldn't accept this offer for $1M?
Sorry, but you are naive.

Please - watch some of the documentaries on Cambridge Analytica. All your questions can be answered.

It's not a question of paying people. It's simply identifying, through the 5,000 data points they collected on each and every American, who is "clueless" (they use the word "persuadable" and then bombarding them with customized purchased ads based on their exact fears.

That one effort was spending a million per day on Facebook alone...but that was a tiny portion of the total spent for everything.

It's a simple calculus. We know Florida was lost (by GW, actually) by maybe 2,000 or so votes (the Pat Buchanan Butterfly ballot), but either way it was as close as 1,000 people changing their votes either way.

If you find those particular people - or ANY 1,000 people - in a state where things are that close, and you "gave" them each a million dollars, that would be less than what is spent on a major election cycle.

For well less than $100 each, you can change a vote....maybe $10! So at $100, if you invested even as little as one million IN AN ENTIRE STATE, you could swing the election.

And that is exactly how it worked with CA in 2016 and also in Brexit.

If you have interest in this watch The Great Hack on Netflix. Might be boring to some, but at least it will answer your question about buying votes. You buy them with fear and knowing exactly who a person is. If they are scared of X, you target them with scary pics and lies about X, and so on.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 PM

5,624 posts, read 1,503,101 times
I would take the money and vote for whom I want. If, theoretically there was a way you could verify my vote for the money, if still do it for $1 million, since one vote is not relevant. Let the others go on about character. I’m in this fir myself, which is also why we should vote for whom ever is best for ourselves.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 PM

22,837 posts, read 16,900,943 times
Quote:
My vote couldn't be bought for a penny but it's hard to believe people actually write "no amount of money could buy my vote". People overestimate their supposed "values" and "ethics". Only a fool wouldn't accept a million for one meaningless presidential general election vote - especially since part of that million could go a lot further promoting his political desire than his one vote would.
If I was in a swing state, my answer would be different. However, I'm in CA - as I said, me voting a right leaning ticket doesn't do anything, so sure, hand me a million dollars when the outcome will end up the same anyway.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

2,824 posts, read 1,928,902 times
Votes are as good as bought every election by our political parties promising "goodies" that appeal to their base.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

9,551 posts, read 7,879,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'd be happy to take your money, give it to charity and vote the way I want to. Are you going to sue me? That would be funny.

Yep. Since votes are very private, there is no way the bribe payee would know who I voted for. Sure, I would take the money. Gladly. I need a new truck and a fishing boat. I might give part of it to charity, if I could find one I thought was worthy.
Since it will never happen, it is a non-issue. We can all say whatever we want, but it is all meaningless, and proves nothing.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

9,551 posts, read 7,879,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Votes are as good as bought every election by our political parties promising "goodies" that appeal to their base.

Yep, TRUE, that!

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

16,993 posts, read 11,865,722 times
Quote:
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
If no, how about $5? $10? $50?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
my vote can be negated by an illegal alien's vote, as the democrats encourage voter fraud

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

2,239 posts, read 718,116 times
Quote:
There are people who would accept the offer for a pack of cigs. Happened all the time back in the bad ole' days.

That said, most peoples votes are bought and paid for even if not directly.

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

21,421 posts, read 21,980,735 times
My first vote or two will always be dictated by my core beliefs, but I'd be willing to cast a couple after that for $100 each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or