U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

4,684 posts, read 2,943,382 times

Advertisements

everyone's vote is bought. what the hell do you think campaign promises are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

20,338 posts, read 12,180,631 times
Question to all of us simple voters be - can your vote be stolen - and yes

Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

857 posts, read 193,690 times
I thought that's what pork-barrel politics was all about: buying votes. Individual votes are only worth anything when the election is particularly close.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

885 posts, read 241,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
If no, how about $5? $10? $50?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
Do you actually think there are people who wouldn't accept this offer for $1M?
I wouldn't sell my vote for any amount of money.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

24,930 posts, read 9,730,758 times
If you sell your vote just make sure Sammy gets his cut afterwards.

Wouldn't want to break precedent.

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,063,682 times
One of the more disturbing dystopian novels I have read had the premise that employees would pledge their votes to the corporation for which they worked. After the elections, which were always won by the candidate favored by the corporations, the employees would be fired en masse and their votes would be worthless unless pledged to another corporation.

Let's not mess with voting. There is a reason for pollwatchers, as demonstrated by the latest round of elections.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

3,451 posts, read 946,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
If no, how about $5? $10? $50?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
Do you actually think there are people who wouldn't accept this offer for $1M?
Well, if there was a politicians promising to decrease something like property taxes or payroll taxes, then I will be willing to vote for that person. I don't need freebees, but, I sure as hell would like to keep the money and property that I earned with my own hard work instead of forking a 1/4 of it over to politicians who like to wine and dine in fancy restaurants, travel the world and and stay in first class hotels on my dime.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

4,998 posts, read 5,079,143 times
Sure, the clowns on a ballot do not represent me in any meaningful way, so there is no harm making little extra cash.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

315 posts, read 54,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sorry, but you are naive.

Please - watch some of the documentaries on Cambridge Analytica. All your questions can be answered.

It's not a question of paying people. It's simply identifying, through the 5,000 data points they collected on each and every American, who is "clueless" (they use the word "persuadable" and then bombarding them with customized purchased ads based on their exact fears.

That one effort was spending a million per day on Facebook alone...but that was a tiny portion of the total spent for everything.

It's a simple calculus. We know Florida was lost (by GW, actually) by maybe 2,000 or so votes (the Pat Buchanan Butterfly ballot), but either way it was as close as 1,000 people changing their votes either way.

If you find those particular people - or ANY 1,000 people - in a state where things are that close, and you "gave" them each a million dollars, that would be less than what is spent on a major election cycle.

For well less than $100 each, you can change a vote....maybe $10! So at $100, if you invested even as little as one million IN AN ENTIRE STATE, you could swing the election.

And that is exactly how it worked with CA in 2016 and also in Brexit.

If you have interest in this watch The Great Hack on Netflix. Might be boring to some, but at least it will answer your question about buying votes. You buy them with fear and knowing exactly who a person is. If they are scared of X, you target them with scary pics and lies about X, and so on.
I may be naive but your post is irrelevant (I could barely understand it anyway). I was simply asking a hypothetical and my questions had nothing to do with throwing an election.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

315 posts, read 54,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If I was in a swing state, my answer would be different. However, I'm in CA - as I said, me voting a right leaning ticket doesn't do anything, so sure, hand me a million dollars when the outcome will end up the same anyway.
Your one vote wouldn't make a difference in ANY election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or