Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:48 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yep. Since votes are very private, there is no way the bribe payee would know who I voted for. Sure, I would take the money. Gladly. I need a new truck and a fishing boat. I might give part of it to charity, if I could find one I thought was worthy.
Since it will never happen, it is a non-issue. We can all say whatever we want, but it is all meaningless, and proves nothing.
It was a hypothetical question with the assumption you had to change your vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:49 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I wouldn't sell my vote for any amount of money.
I don't believe you.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:54 AM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I don't believe you.
That's your misfortune.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:01 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
If no, how about $5? $10? $50?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
Do you actually think there are people who wouldn't accept this offer for $1M?
Yes. I would accept the money because a vote is a deal anyway, but how would you know I voted for you?

Old 07-28-2019, 04:03 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I’m sure it can. Money is speech.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:51 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
So if I offered you$50K to vote for Candidate B though you'd prefer to vote for candidate A, you'd refuse the offer?
Hard to believe. Especially in a general election in which your vote doesn't count, and even if it did would have infinitesimal impact.
Send me the check to find out how I will behave. Without the actual money trading hands, we are just voting in thin air. Real money may not change your mind, but it will often change your behavior.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:26 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
If in the 2020 general election, you were going to vote for Candidate A and I offered you $1 to vote for Candidate B, would you accept the offer?
If no, how about $5? $10? $50?
Would it make a difference if it was a local election, say for a councilman or small town mayor or bond measure to raise money for roads?
Do you actually think there are people who wouldn't accept this offer for $1M?

Sure- My brother and I financially support my parents and told them if they voted for Obama a second time, we would cut them off. Can't have the treats if you are voting to kill the Goose laying the golden eggs.

Votes can be bought- it is just influencing behavior by other means; we consider political ads, which are designed to change behavior, to be just fine.

Votes used to be purchased all the time in the 1800s with rallies that offered free liquor, ect........... This has been going on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies