U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:15 AM

5,260 posts, read 3,770,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Two things. Studies show that in some countries WOMEN say that physical abuse is acceptable.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...s-sometimes-ok

And in America, some demographics are higher in abusing women than others.

https://www.domesticshelters.org/res...estic-violence

Also, if you look at the above study you'll see women aren't the only ones enduring this abuse.

It's a problem that doesn't seem to be going away regardless of country.
Two things:

1. If you stopped 1000 women on the streets of American a decade ago and asked them if they were victims of a white, patriarchel, abusive society that existed to keep women down and "in their place" they would have predominantly laughed in your face. Women didn't consider themselves victims back in the good-old-days of 2009. They just lived their lives - their education, their families, their careers, the social lives. Just living.

2. Women and Gender Studies degrees have increased 300% in the last 27 years.
https://www.thecollegefix.com/report...00-since-1990/

If I cared to, which I don't, I would hazard a guess that they have increased at a faster rate over the last few years (ie. Obama era and beyond)

3. Ok.......3 things - Democrats need (desperately need) women to be victims. If they are victims, the Dems can swoop in to save them. If women are strong, self sufficient, in control of their own lives, masters of their own domains, they don't need politicians. And that would be a very bad thing for Dems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 AM

5,621 posts, read 1,503,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Two things:

1. If you stopped 1000 women on the streets of American a decade ago and asked them if they were victims of a white, patriarchel, abusive society that existed to keep women down and "in their place" they would have predominantly laughed in your face. Women didn't consider themselves victims back in the good-old-days of 2009. They just lived their lives - their education, their families, their careers, the social lives. Just living.

If I cared to, which I don't, I would hazard a guess that they have increased at a faster rate over the last few years (ie. Obama era and beyond)

3. Ok.......3 things - Democrats need (desperately need) women to be victims. If they are victims, the Dems can swoop in to save them. If women are strong, self sufficient, in control of their own lives, masters of their own domains, they don't need politicians. And that would be a very bad thing for Dems.
And, this applies across the board, not only to women. Democrats need victims everywhere, because it allows them so come in and be the savior. It's the stuff they run on and makes them feel good.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 10,151,951 times
Quote:
Two things:

I don't see this as a partisan issue. Women being abused is a problem that has nothing to do with politics.

I agree the Dems tend to create victims and people who need them to save them, but we're talking about studies with women who state they've been abused.

One example involves the victims, the other involves talking heads creating imaginary victims.

Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,462,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Nope, not made up in my mind at all ... did you know that the u.s. ranks #1 in women dying in childbirth ... All this technology and smart people and yet the hospitals can not deliver a healthy woman and child together.
I hate the lack of compassion and understanding as it has been shown in the u.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
This is not true.
46th lowest out of 18? not good but certainly not number 1 in women dying in childbirth.

14 per 100,000. Unfortunately I think a lot of this has to do with drugs.

The mother lives 99,986 times out of 100,000.
Maternal death

Maternal mortality in the United States
Main article:
Maternal mortality in the United States

"The US has the "highest rate of maternal mortality in the industrialized world." In the United States, the maternal death rate averaged 9.1 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births during the years 1979–1986, but then rose rapidly to 14 per 100,000 in 2000 and 17.8 per 100,000 in 2009. In 2013 the rate was 18.5 deaths per 100,000 live births. It has been suggested that the rise in maternal death in the United States may be due to improved identification and misclassification resulting in false positives. The rate has steadily increased to 18.0 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2014. Between 2011 and 2014, there were 7,208 deaths that were reported to the CDC that occurred for women within a year of the end of their pregnancy. Out of this there were 2,726 that were found to be pregnancy-related deaths."

Do you want to do women of color, or should I ...

Why are black women at such high risk of dying from pregnancy complications?

"Black women are three to four times more likely to die from pregnancy-related causes than white women, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It's partly why the overall rate of pregnancy-related deaths has climbed over the past two decades, making the maternal mortality rate in the United States the worst in any industrialized country, according to a 2016 analysis published in the journal The Lancet."

Mothers dying needlessly: CDC says most pregnancy-related deaths can be prevented

"The CDC's analysis also confirms "persistent racial disparities" in the risks faced by black women and American Indian/Alaska Native women, who are about three times as likely to die from pregnancy and childbirth than white women.
"Most deaths were preventable, regardless of race or ethnicity," the CDC found."

Two words I missed when I made that statement, 'industrialized country/world'.

Alone among developed nations, the US maternal mortality rate is rising. Here’s how we can fix that

"Across the United States, on any given day, more than 10,900 babies are born. Around 4 million American women give birth each year. On what should be an otherwise joyful occasion, on average twice a day, a new mother will die. The United States is home to some of the most advanced obstetric and emergency care found on earth, yet we still rank only 47th for maternal mortality rate globally and have the highest percentage of maternal deaths of any developed nation."

Now can you understand why we raise up to ranking #10 as a country dangerous to women? imo, women found their voice. Here is the pole data that was used in the op article: About the poll
And that it never was a place that was safe, just no body talked about it, because they didn't feel they were in a safe place to share. Some one mentioned men? Yes, and no one will know how they rank in sexual abuse, because most men do not talk about it. At the same time, a man can push down a woman, roll her over and most times, their isn't a darn thing she can do about it. If she shoots him? Ask the women in prison how that worked out.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Nope, not made up in my mind at all ... did you know that the u.s. ranks #1 in women dying in childbirth ... All this technology and smart people and yet the hospitals can not deliver a healthy woman and child together.
I hate the lack of compassion and understanding as it has been shown in the u.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You're misreading the data and not looking at every detail.

A large part of that, and other rankings of a similar kind are a result of the US being a multicultural society with many immigrants and minority cultures with different backgrounds and values. Of particular interest is the large number of impoverished people admitted to the country each year, who believe it or not, are not suddenly adopting first world ways just because they're in a developed country.
You are not a neighbor I could borrow a cup of sugar from, you'd just tell me to go buy my own, rather than be neighborly ...

Quote:
society with many immigrants and minority cultures with different backgrounds and values
That has absolutely nothing to do with nothing ... as this country from its inception was/is made up of and still is today, generations later, made up of culture with different backgrounds and values and how is it we still rate economically, value sound?

People came here from xxxhole countries 250 years ago ... hell the u.s. even imported.

What we have here today as we have had at other times is fear and even though it is shown to be unfounded fear people simply refuse to believe their fear isn't real. It's either that, or people are just plain AHs ...

Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM

Quote:
You know when this story gets written, the u.s. is not going to be the good guy in it.

Canada doesn't have illegal entry for asylum seekers. They are today what the u.s. use to be, decent.

Are asylum seekers crossing into Canada illegally? A look at facts behind the controversy

Are they illegal?

"A political debate has raged over language and whether asylum seekers crossing between official points are entering Canada illegally. The term “irregular” is viewed by some as vague jargon and a euphemism. The use of “illegal” (Ontario Premier Doug Ford calls them “illegal border crossers”) is seen by others as inflammatory and dehumanizing.

Legal experts say Canada’s immigration laws are clear: “They’re not illegal border crossers,” said James Hathaway, founding director of the University of Michigan’s program in refugee and asylum law, who is Canadian, and a leading global authority on refugee law."
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Canada is decent (and so is the U.S.), but they have the merit based immigration system people here claim is racist. And they enforce their immigration laws, unlike here. They also have the same population in their entire country as we do in our largest U.S. state.
So you're saying it is very difficult to get into Canada. And you're right, it is ...
Understanding Canada’s immigration system

And yet ...

Canada now leads the world in refugee resettlement, surpassing the U.S.

There is only one way a person can look at this and still sleep nights, believe me I get it ... keep defending the country that is slipping down the ranks in humanitarian deeds and increasing human rights violations ... your future family is going to love you for it. Maybe it will be then they will decide to fight back, rather and defend that, in good conscience, can not be defended.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't see this as a partisan issue. Women being abused is a problem that has nothing to do with politics.

I agree the Dems tend to create victims and people who need them to save them, but we're talking about studies with women who state they've been abused.

One example involves the victims, the other involves talking heads creating imaginary victims.
Quote:
a problem that has nothing to do with politics.
right and wrong never does, it is a matter of conscience ... politics is the new religion that takes conscience out of right and wrong ...

Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM

Quote:
From the linked article:

.......the survey polled 548 experts on women's issues spread evenly across Europe, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific. Those surveyed included academics and policymakers, healthcare staff and ngo workers, aid and development professionals and social commentators.
About the poll

Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I mean one of the contributing factors in this "unsafe" statement is that they are likely to die during pregnancy or childbirth due to obesity and diabetes. I mean 95% of that lies squarely on the head of the woman who has managed to become obese or have diabetes, it has nothing to do with our system of government, state of police, or crime rate. Very misleading.
About the poll

Country Summary

"The United States ranked as the 10th most dangerous country for women, the only Western nation to appear in the top 10. The United States shot up in the rankings after tying joint third with Syria when respondents were asked which was the most dangerous country for women in terms of sexual violence including rape, sexual harassment, coercion into sex and the lack of access to justice in rape cases. It was ranked sixth for non-sexual violence."

I'd give this some historical context, but it's been said my posts make no sense.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

5,260 posts, read 3,770,008 times
Quote:
That's fine. Read your "About the Poll" link. It included this:

World leaders vowed three years ago to eliminate all forms of violence and discrimination against women and girls by 2030............

Aspirational goals are a wonderful thing. Miss America pageant contestants always say that they want "World Peace". We all want word peace. We all want violence and discrimination to end. But writing this aspirational goal - supposedly put out by world leaders (What world leaders? Who? How many?) - (Why 2030? Why not 2025 or 2035?) - (What's the plan? How do un-named world leaders plan to eliminate all forms of violence and discrimination against women and girls? How will they coordinate a world wide effort? Define it? Finance it? Staff it? Track it? Record it? Maintain it?).

Do you see the problem here?

I'm not saying that we don't have a violence and discrimination problem against women across the globe and even in the United States. We can continue as a nation (as we have for decades and centuries) to work towards a more perfect union for all American citizens of both genders and all races. We all want that.

I posted a quote from your link previously in this thread (ref: the limited number of participants in the poll and the potential agenda bias of many of those participants). Your link above and its aspirational goals are all well and good. But just take it for what it is. Don't make more OUT of it than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies