U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:51 AM

66,698 posts, read 30,457,307 times

Advertisements

I'm not cool with sending kids to people's doorsteps when they're having Halloween parties... drinking, otherwise partaking, etc. It's bad enough that Halloween falls on Friday or Saturday nights as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:52 AM

4,333 posts, read 2,548,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Better to just ban Halloween altogether to make sure children are unable to culturally appropriate the culture of others. We have to prevent kids from wearing Indian costumes at all costs!
It's my favorite holiday. I was so excited last year when my kids finally embraced the spirit of Halloween and went for scary costumes. My seven year old had an amazing killer bunny costume. Dad is a great make-up artist when he needs to be.

Old Today, 05:53 AM

4,333 posts, read 2,548,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not cool with sending kids to people's doorsteps when they're having Halloween parties... drinking, otherwise partaking, etc. It's bad enough that Halloween falls on Friday or Saturday nights as it is.
So keep them locked up inside. More candy for all the other kids.

Old Today, 06:00 AM

46,090 posts, read 34,168,136 times
Halloween is not a Federal Holiday.

Many municipalities regulate Trick or Treating hours and many cut it off at 7:00PM.

Nothing precludes you from petitioning your local municipality to make Trick or Treating a Saturday event.

Good luck with that.

Old Today, 06:01 AM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 18 days ago)

10,528 posts, read 6,224,549 times
I would assume that 'changing' the date for Halloween would be authorized or mandated by local and/or state jurisdictions.

Of course, Lincoln had issued a proclamation establishing Thanksgiving as the last Thursday in November. FDR then changed it, by proclamation, to the 4th Thursday of the month; some states followed suit, but others continued with the last Thursday (some years, there are five Thursdays). Congress subsequently issued a proclamation establishing the fourth Thursday, which proclamation was signed by FDR.

Perhaps that Thanksgiving example would serve as the basis for moving Halloween.

Old Today, 06:07 AM

5,524 posts, read 1,485,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's my favorite holiday. I was so excited last year when my kids finally embraced the spirit of Halloween and went for scary costumes. My seven year old had an amazing killer bunny costume. Dad is a great make-up artist when he needs to be.
Halloween is a great tradition and tons of fun for sure. From jack-o-lanterns to candy to costumes, it's a great day to have some scary fun. However, the left has gotten their hands on it and attempted to sanitize it and to tell us what we can and can't wear. Sad, but not surprising.

Old Today, 06:12 AM

7,760 posts, read 2,472,280 times
No, I don’t take part in it.

Old Today, 06:39 AM

11,241 posts, read 6,545,066 times
Most towns designate a weekend day for official trick or treat. I understand the push to move it to a weekend. I donít think there is any significant purpose for the 31st. The end of October is associated with Halloween. Most cultures have their own day of the dead. The day isnít universal.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

9,146 posts, read 4,169,393 times
I disagree with this. Halloween is October 31 for reason. When it falls during the week, don't most people celebrate it the weekend before anyways?

Old Today, 08:27 AM

5,361 posts, read 1,084,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
There are lots of reasons to hate holidays: traffic, awkward family reunions, expensive gifts that would wring a tear from anyone's wallet. But if there's one celebration absent from all of this holiday drama, it's Halloween.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/ha...rnd/index.html
The traffic can be bad with kids out trick or treating. You have to watch out for them. Gifts of candy candy can be awkward when kids cry "I hate that kind of candy!!!" The huge bags of candy that some must buy to keep from being "tricked" can be pricey on the wallet.
As for drama. I suspect the adult participants of halloween get very dramatic.

As for hating real holidays. of which halloween isn't one imo, they are what we each make of them.

They can be wonderful!

As for the date of halloween, I don't care what day it's on as I ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or