U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 AM

27,199 posts, read 19,217,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I never said anyone didn't like the holiday. I said they're ruining it.
one Halloween as a kid i dressed up like a bandito.

today, if my kid did that, there'd probably be demands for a congressional enquiry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 AM

18,372 posts, read 9,045,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Halloween is not a federal holiday. You don't need a petition to change anything. Just celebrate it when you want to, which is pretty much what people have been doing for a decade or two, ever since adults decided to dress up at work.

I will say that Halloween is my idea of a useless holiday.
It is really a religious holiday, a product of "All Saints Day", a combination of Paganism and Christianity. Growing up, it was one of the more fun times a kid could have. However, like everything government has become too involved. We went out when we wanted to, after dark, and stayed out as late as we wanted. We knew that people that turned off their front door lights were done for the evening. However, many stayed on until 11 PM or so, and we would go to those homes.

Now my Township regulates the hours and date that kids can "trick or treat", and it starts a 6PM when it is still light out, and ends at 8PM when it has only been dark for a short time, if at all. They've ruined the event for kids, IMHO. In many instances the adults have taken over and now have Halloween Parties for their kids, which are all adult run, and adult supervised, so the kids can't act like kids as much as they used to.

Last edited by Pilot1; 07-26-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 AM

10,799 posts, read 13,724,267 times
Quote:
Better to just ban Halloween altogether to make sure children are unable to culturally appropriate the culture of others. We have to prevent kids from wearing Indian costumes at all costs!
Seems that right wing nut jobs are the only people who can't stop flying off the handle and inserting irrelevant rants about PC, snowflakes, cultural appropriation, and whatever anti leftist meme is the flavor of the day on right wing sites and talk radio.

Heaven forbid one topic gets discussed without some partisan spin or hateful cynical rant.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 AM

967 posts, read 209,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's a Christian Festival that predates the US itself and dates back to the 8th Century and Pope Gregory III.

All Hallows Eve is on the 31st October and the following day the 1st November is 'All Saints Day' in most christan cultures.

Religions - Christianity: All Hallows' Eve - BBC

It's originally a pagan celebration. Many pagan and christian celebrations got merged under Constantine.

Celebration of Samhain is its origin.
https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/samhain

Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 AM

5,665 posts, read 1,523,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Seems that right wing nut jobs are the only people who can't stop flying off the handle and inserting irrelevant rants about PC, snowflakes, cultural appropriation, and whatever anti leftist meme is the flavor of the day on right wing sites and talk radio.

Heaven forbid one topic gets discussed without some partisan spin or hateful cynical rant.
Yes, heaven forbid someone doesn't turn to hateful rhetoric!

Old 07-26-2019, 09:17 AM

18,372 posts, read 9,045,383 times
Quote:
Better to just ban Halloween altogether to make sure children are unable to culturally appropriate the culture of others. We have to prevent kids from wearing Indian costumes at all costs!
I am trying to remember the most popular costumes when I was young. Indians were very popular as were cowboys, soldiers, princesses, Sultans (Arabs), Mexicans, CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS, and of course all the ghosts, ghouls, goblins, monsters, witches, vampires, and then kids dressing up as popular characters from tv shows of the day.

Many today would be accused at the minimum of "Cultural Appropriation", and at the most "Racist".

Old 07-26-2019, 09:18 AM

5,665 posts, read 1,523,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am trying to remember the most popular costumes when I was young. Indians were very popular as were cowboys, soldiers, princesses, Sultans (Arabs), Mexicans, CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS, and of course all the ghosts, ghouls, goblins, monsters, witches, vampires, and then kids dressing up as popular characters from tv shows of the day.

Many today would be accused at the minimum of "Cultural Appropriation", and at the most "Racist".
Unless you're the governor of Virginia and it isn't Halloween. Then you're good and all is forgiven!

Old 07-26-2019, 09:23 AM

927 posts, read 205,950 times
Seems like a good idea for safety reasons.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 AM

5,391 posts, read 1,094,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72

You first.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:01 AM

9,728 posts, read 4,649,197 times
Our high school has had party on Halloween since the 1940's that was started to curb vandalism. Students have to pledge not to do any vandalism before they can go. Since it runs until midnight, if there is school the next day it can be tough. They moved it a couple years ago one time because the football team had a state playoff game early the next morning. I don't see where it would hurt to have it on a Friday or Saturday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or