U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
 
12,974 posts, read 4,688,424 times
Reputation: 5276

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Wages increased 3.59% in May as compared to May 2018.
Factor in inflation and the uneven distribution of those gains, and its lackluster news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
 
23,336 posts, read 12,384,752 times
Reputation: 7412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Wages increased 3.59% in May as compared to May 2018. That's the highest rate this year, and wages have increased every month for 2 years.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wage-growth


Almost no one with any credibility believes the US economy is not doing well. One of the hallmarks of TDS is that they scream in horror at the slightest downward variation in measurement, and pretend to not see the upward trends.
They are to be pitied, those victims of TDS. One can only have his ass handed to him so many times before his grip on reality is lost. And it has been a bad, bad week for them.

But that wage growth has little to do with ANY Trump policy.

After 9 years of positive job growth....the longest recovery we have ever seen (10 years), wages should have increased. They should have increased five years ago.

There has definitely been a very slow reaction in wage growth given the slow, steady growth we have seen.

Now the economy is starting to show signs of slowing...that's it -- that's all that we'll get.

Low unemployment numbers and it is all we will get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
 
10,706 posts, read 10,898,226 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But that wage growth has little to do with ANY Trump policy.

After 9 years of positive job growth....the longest recovery we have ever seen (10 years), wages should have increased. They should have increased five years ago.

There has definitely been a very slow reaction in wage growth given the slow, steady growth we have seen.

Now the economy is starting to show signs of slowing...that's it -- that's all that we'll get.

Low unemployment numbers and it is all we will get.
The only thing Trump policy is doing is helping bringing on the inevitable recession on a little quicker with the tariffs and trade war.

Not to mention the trillion dollar annual deficits that will give us no cushion for when it finally comes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
 
5,481 posts, read 1,565,531 times
Reputation: 2310
Don't need fast growth when the unemployment rate is so low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,509 posts, read 20,162,418 times
Reputation: 8409
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
5.5% decline in business investment! That is quite massive and goes right along with the manufacturing (purchasing manager, etc.) low numbers.

Of course, GDP and all that means nothing to the 3/4 or more of Americans who are not making it....or just barely doing so.

Nothing has changed...except perhaps that the long term prognosis is worse than ever. Even investors like myself have made almost nothing since Trump signed his great "tax reform" and started messing with tariff and trade threats.

I guess his definition of "winning so much you will get tired of winning" differs from mine.





Median weekly earnings of the nation's 117.6 million full-time wage and salary workers were $908 in
the second quarter of 2019 (not seasonally adjusted), the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
This was 3.7 percent higher than a year earlier, compared with a gain of 1.8 percent in the Consumer
Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) over the same period.


file:///C:/Users/ibsal/Downloads/wkyeng.pdf


https://www.hrdive.com/news/us-wages...search/559595/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
 
52,114 posts, read 41,937,212 times
Reputation: 32528
Hey, I have a great idea! Let's try to attack how the economy is REALLY doing like bad and stuff.....because talking about something that actually is going pretty well for Trump is a great strategy? lol.

The economy is doing pretty well, everyone that isn't a rabid partisan can freely admit that.

So just how dumb do people have to be to try to talk about things that are in Trumps favor? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
 
23,336 posts, read 12,384,752 times
Reputation: 7412
Read an interesting article that while consumer spending is up 4 percent the GDP is only at 2.1 per cent.

Apparently 70% of the economic indicators of the GDP is consumer spending.

The article suggested the problem is the widening trade deficit.

Wait a minute....isn't all this huffing and puffing about reduce the trade deficit?

I don't know it seems we can spin just about anything.

The only thing we can't spin......the economy happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
 
10,706 posts, read 10,898,226 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, I have a great idea! Let's try to attack how the economy is REALLY doing like bad and stuff.....because talking about something that actually is going pretty well for Trump is a great strategy? lol.

The economy is doing pretty well, everyone that isn't a rabid partisan can freely admit that.

So just how dumb do people have to be to try to talk about things that are in Trumps favor? Seriously?
So the rising national debt and the revisions down in GDP to well under the 4% Trump originally promised is considered to be a good economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,771 posts, read 8,641,649 times
Reputation: 20055
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Read an interesting article that while consumer spending is up 4 percent the GDP is only at 2.1 per cent.

Apparently 70% of the economic indicators of the GDP is consumer spending.

The article suggested the problem is the widening trade deficit.

Wait a minute....isn't all this huffing and puffing about reduce the trade deficit?.............
No. No one really cares what the trade deficit is.
People have a lot of money and want to buy expensive stuff made in other countries. That's not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
8,880 posts, read 7,755,887 times
Reputation: 15342
Its no big deal right now. There is such a shortage of able trained bodies, imho, with the shortage of workers, business cant expand that fast.

Besides, govt numbers are pretty useless, and always have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top