U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

46,095 posts, read 34,179,461 times

Advertisements

I do not understand adults who choose to tweet crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

28,577 posts, read 15,514,539 times
Thought crimes are trending upward... (I know it's not a real crime, but he suffered real consequences)

1 strike and you are out.

Not defending WHAT he thinks, but where are we going with this long term?

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

6,766 posts, read 1,414,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Thought crimes are trending upward... (I know it's not a real crime, but he suffered real consequences)

1 strike and you are out.

Not defending WHAT he thinks, but where are we going with this long term?
Interesting point because I think you are talking about censorship, which is something else I do not support with very rare exceptions -- and one of those exceptions is when a person in power encourages a large population to hate, which could lead to violence against a certain person or group of people. (And, yes, I do think that national journalists have, arguably, almost as much power as political leaders do.)

I think that this subject is definitely a very tricky one and worthy of some kind of national debate.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 11:48 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 1,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Interesting point because I think you are talking about censorship, which is something else I do not support with very rare exceptions -- and one of those exceptions is when a person in power encourages a large population to hate, which could lead to violence against a certain person or group of people. (And, yes, I do think taht national journalists have, arguably, almost as much power as political leaders do.)

I think that this subject is definitely a very tricky one and worthy of some kind of national debate.

Thanks for posting!
He resigned after a tweet he posted nearly a decade ago. What he posted a decade ago came back to bite the CNN employee up in his butt. Not only that but he used his real name. I'm all for free speech, but when it comes to using violence agaisnt people. That is speech that I can not support. Does the man deserve to be fired for a decade old tweets? I don't know because people's positions and ideals change and morph over time. Similar happened to Disney's James Gunn who made pedo tweets a decade ago and Disney fired him. Surprisingly Disney decided to rehire the fired and tarnished director.

I do agree that journalist have as much power as politicians. Remember that the journalism industry is tied with media, arcademia publishing industries which are now controlled by social justice activists. Journalist have alot of away of the current narrative with what they post online and in opinion pieces like nyt and wapo opeds.

In this new America we live in right now. We are walking on eggshells and we have to be very careful and cautious of what we say. But also what our peers say can affect us. Social justice currency on both sides of the right and the left is getting out of hand. In the years ahead, more and more people will get fired for saying stuff unpatriotic, or anti Isreal, or will be fired for saying something about blacks and women, or illegal immigrants, or Muslim etc. We are walking on eggshells now. This can affect our communities, jobs or even marriage if discovered.

Last edited by Verifiedcheckmark; Yesterday at 12:32 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

21,408 posts, read 21,974,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First, I want to make it 100% without a doubt clear that I do not support any hatred against any group (except for people like child molesters, serial killers, or anyone else who intentionally causes great physical or financial harm to someone else with no provocation whatsoever)...
too funny

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

4,735 posts, read 932,478 times
If this was a Fox News employee, that would be interesting was as how the namesake, film producer William Fox, was a Hungarian Jew.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

6,766 posts, read 1,414,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
too funny
I don't know how that is funny. I was thinking of those who swindle retirees out of their savings -- or people who commit identity theft or embezzlement or fraud that results in the loss of thousands of dollars. That is not funny to me.

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 12:06 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

7,765 posts, read 2,476,704 times
As he should. His comments are absolutely disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Its fairly obvious to me.. Sarah's racist tweets were aimed at white people. Today's Media not only accepts but also encourages hatred of white people.
The article stated that she has also made racist remarks toward African-Americans. Or is it only a problem when directed toward white people?

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

3,980 posts, read 1,722,855 times
Another CNN personality who was presenting on the CNN Arabic network as recently as last week appears to have expressed a series of antisemitic sentiments on Twitter, even praising Hitler. This follows the recent resignation of a CNN editor, whose past antisemitic statements surfaced Thursday afternoon.

On Friday, tweets surfaced, showing Kareem Farid writing, “I love you Hitler” and commending the Nazi dictator for “his determination to reach his goal.”

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

52,104 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
As he should. His comments are absolutely disgusting.

The article stated that she has also made racist remarks toward African-Americans. Or is it only a problem when directed toward white people?
Hard to know, Sharpton has said a lot worse racial stuff over the years and probably should have faced trial over the Freddies Fashion Mart murders but he still shows up all the time on CNN etc. so *shrug*.

Maybe there is some sort of point system based upon gender, race, pigment and of course political party that you compare against the offended demographics score in order to generate the response?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies