U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 11:56 AM

11,208 posts, read 4,947,782 times

Advertisements

Just give the Muslim kids halal alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 12:03 PM

1,019 posts, read 399,419 times
I am explaining WHY some cultures may feel this way. Pork was mentioned in the title. The US would do well to heed that part.

As far as immigration and cultural conflict go people need to stick with and defend their OWN cultural norms. That includes us. I used to be more open minded but have changed. I don't care if people don't like it or if people think I am non accepting to immigrants. I am proud to support the USA (but I will exert my 1st amendment rights and bust fellow Americans about their eating habits when needed too)

Should countries bow down to a minority? Heck no! I am around people that came here to work on visas and they tend to stick with one another and not assimilate much. I live in a college town and see it every day. It's sad but true. Most don't even care to have American friends and that concerns me. A few friendly foreigners I have met agree with me too that it's weird.

Sorry if my comments were taken out of context.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:30 PM

6,672 posts, read 3,706,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Just give the Muslim kids halal alternatives.
The problem is that if the devout brother pushes the case the kitchen can not be used because it is unclean. Then the grounds of the facility are unclean. It is a religious version of peanut product bans without the science of actual allergenic reactions

Most won't care, just like most ethnic Jewish people will eat pork. The reason for bans isn't to appease most people. The reason to ban is to appease the one you think might go operational to force his world/religious view on the house of war.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The problem is that if the devout brother pushes the case the kitchen can not be used because it is unclean. Then the grounds of the facility are unclean. It is a religious version of peanut product bans without the science of actual allergenic reactions

Most won't care, just like most ethnic Jewish people will eat pork. The reason for bans isn't to appease most people. The reason to ban is to appease the one you think might go operational to force his world/religious view on the house of war.
The US would feel the same way if DOGS were cooked in those kitchens and would freak the F out!. It doesn't matter if it's pig (the more intelligent species) or dog. It would be considered beyond "unclean" and not a usable kitchen with our culture where dogs are concerned. In fact, our populace would go as far as labeling it "A place of MURDER" and probably burn it down. Do you not see that? What they do in China to dogs by using them for food is called flat out murder and torture here. The USA WORSHIPS DOGS. There is an entire sub Reddit devoted to observing this phenomenon.

Just trying to cut through the BS, but have to wonder if there are any deep enough thinkers to get it.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:53 PM

1,081 posts, read 747,397 times
Is this the same country that Blitzkreiged Europe, wow

Old 07-27-2019, 02:04 PM

5,812 posts, read 1,567,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
The US would feel the same way if DOGS were cooked in those kitchens and would freak the F out!. It doesn't matter if it's pig (the more intelligent species) or dog. It would be considered beyond "unclean" and not a usable kitchen with our culture where dogs are concerned. In fact, our populace would go as far as labeling it "A place of MURDER" and probably burn it down. Do you not see that? What they do in China to dogs by using them for food is called flat out murder and torture here. The USA WORSHIPS DOGS. There is an entire sub Reddit devoted to observing this phenomenon.

Just trying to cut through the BS, but have to wonder if there are any deep enough thinkers to get it.
Eating pork is a cultural norm in Germany, so therefore immigrants have no room to complain about pork being eaten around them. Youíre right, Americans would be upset if immigrants were cooking dogs around us, as we would be entitled to because itís our country.

Immigrants need to assimilate to their adopted country and adopt the cultural norms thereof.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Is this the same country that Blitzkreiged Europe, wow
Yeah, and the same country that banned sales of the book Mein Kampf until 2017. Citizens can't face their current problems if they are not allowed to freely speak about all of the issues and be allowed to study the past.

Book banning is so un-American.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...int-run-hitler

Old 07-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Eating pork is a cultural norm in Germany, so therefore immigrants have no room to complain about pork being eaten around them. Youíre right, Americans would be upset if immigrants were cooking dogs around us, as we would be entitled to because itís our country.

Immigrants need to assimilate to their adopted country and adopt the cultural norms thereof.
I totally agree. I would never move to another country if I could not accept their norms.

Unfortunately what I am seeing is too many minority subcultures forming here (by choice) that are moving here for jobs. Other than paying taxes and buying up our real estate I see no community connection. I mentioned a few exceptions in a previous post which is refreshing.

As an example of a good exception; I was invited to a party several years ago by some Iranian women. They would come into a store I worked at and would be wearing veils BUT would be buying all of this expensive lingerie and fancy dresses. Hmmm...I didn't know what to expect. Boy, was I in for a culture shock when I went to the party. The women were dressed to the nines; in full makeup, sexy dresses and high heels. LOL

I learned about their culture too; the veils are for modesty in public ONLY (not a bad idea really IMO) They were so cool and friendly and dressed like everyone else in their own homes. Kind of like the people you see on the Bravo show "The Shahs of Sunset". They were as curious about me as I was about them and were super nice. ALL spoke fluent English. They weren't even snobby in the least even though all were apparently quite rich and driving BMW's, Mercedes or Lexus cars/SUV's.

(sorry if above is OT but I want to be fair)

The problem: Many immigrants are ignoring our culture and in extreme cases disrespecting it when they come here.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:23 PM

11,208 posts, read 4,947,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

If they're going to be that neurotic about cross-contamination, they shouldn't even have their kids interact with non-Muslims at all. I mean, who knows if a kid they play patty cake with ate bacon for breakfast before being dropped off that morning?

Old 07-27-2019, 03:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 1,567,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I totally agree. I would never move to another country if I could not accept their norms.

Unfortunately what I am seeing is too many minority subcultures forming here (by choice) that are moving here for jobs. Other than paying taxes and buying up our real estate I see no community connection. I mentioned a few exceptions in a previous post which is refreshing.

As an example of a good exception; I was invited to a party several years ago by some Iranian women. They would come into a store I worked at and would be wearing veils BUT would be buying all of this expensive lingerie and fancy dresses. Hmmm...I didn't know what to expect. Boy, was I in for a culture shock when I went to the party. The women were dressed to the nines; in full makeup, sexy dresses and high heels. LOL

I learned about their culture too; the veils are for modesty in public ONLY (not a bad idea really IMO) They were so cool and friendly and dressed like everyone else in their own homes. Kind of like the people you see on the Bravo show "The Shahs of Sunset". They were as curious about me as I was about them and were super nice. ALL spoke fluent English. They weren't even snobby in the least even though all were apparently quite rich and driving BMW's, Mercedes or Lexus cars/SUV's.

(sorry if above is OT but I want to be fair)

The problem: Many immigrants are ignoring our culture and in extreme cases disrespecting it when they come here.
I’m not too concerned what people wear as long as they’re not attempting to force the rest of us to wear veils. My partner is Korean - he just became a citizen last year. We enjoy Korean food at home, but we don’t demand everyone else eat Korean food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies