U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 398,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I’m not too concerned what people wear as long as they’re not attempting to force the rest of us to wear veils. My partner is Korean - he just became a citizen last year. We enjoy Korean food at home, but we don’t demand everyone else eat Korean food.
Me either. However I have seen a cultural change in the US in the last 20 years where college girls don't know what modesty and decency is anymore. I have learned not to judge wearing a veil/head scarf by some women with an immediate assumed rejection of US cultural norms for that reason. (Some of course do) I totally wish some young girls I see would cover up more as seeing that much unwanted skin makes my eyes hurt. Plenty of their father's would agree with me.

The children's parents in Germany should just ask for an alternative meal rather than asking for a rule change for everyone when it is not the cultural norm there.

Not sure what is going on in Germany and why they would go along with it, but ALL cultures are pushy about food in this regard; Muslims with no pork, Indians with no beef, Americans with any animal commonly kept as a "pet", etc. This proves animals are important in different cultures like I said whether people agree with me or not. This is part of the controversy. I am just not afraid to point out the hypocrisy.

As a proud American it pains me to say that I sure hope other cultures don't follow our lead either. If not aware, currently a US toddler's first experience with a vegetable and most commonly eaten one for ALL toddlers is the French Fry. 25% of kids have never eaten a vegetable period. JUST French fries is the closest thing to a vegetable they have eaten. Un freaking believable. I had no choice but to eat real veggies as a child.

Not going to elaborate of course and have a post removed for being OT but just want to mention many US parent's need some sense knocked into them too in that regard. Can't help myself - just keeping it real. (see below)

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2018...oddlers-study/

Last edited by motownnative; 07-27-2019 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 06:28 AM

14,369 posts, read 15,217,924 times
Quote:
They dislike bacon and dogs - the very definition of insanity.
And women too. That's REAL insanity.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:30 AM

14,369 posts, read 15,217,924 times
Quote:
=EastwardBound;.... People moving to a new country need to assimilate and not demand their ways take precedence over that of their adopted country.
I believe that ship has sailed and the Germans need to adapt to the new way of thinking.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:43 AM

9,003 posts, read 4,502,511 times
Quote:
The Germans and most of Europe for that matter will wake up one day and see that they've lost their countries and their traditions because they were too accommodating to people who are not one bit grateful.
Change is what's for dinner ...

A Look at the History of Germany

"Many of you will be surprised to learn Germany did not become a nation until 1871. By that time, the United States was already 100 years old. The reasons are so complicated that only a thorough retelling of the story will make any sense."

Old 07-28-2019, 06:52 AM

5,786 posts, read 1,558,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Change is what's for dinner ...

A Look at the History of Germany

"Many of you will be surprised to learn Germany did not become a nation until 1871. By that time, the United States was already 100 years old. The reasons are so complicated that only a thorough retelling of the story will make any sense."
Not sure what you're alluding to here, but you seem to be saying that because the first modern state of Germany was not created until 1871, that it's legitimate for long-standing, centuries-old culture to simply be changed by new immigrants.

If you're trying to say the German nation as a people was simply created in 1871, you're incorrect. The modern German political state was indeed created in 1871, from a collection of independent states, principalities, and kingdoms. The areas shared a long history of common culture (with regional variation), language and cuisine. So, your assertion that somehow Germany was simply created as a culture is incorrect.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you're alluding to here, but you seem to be saying that because the first modern state of Germany was not created until 1871, that it's legitimate for long-standing, centuries-old culture to simply be changed by new immigrants.

If you're trying to say the German nation as a people was simply created in 1871, you're incorrect. The modern German political state was indeed created in 1871, from a collection of independent states, principalities, and kingdoms. The areas shared a long history of common culture (with regional variation), language and cuisine. So, your assertion that somehow Germany was simply created as a culture is incorrect.
It was Rome, before it was Germany ... things change. A person can curse it, they can stop their feet, they can do all things about it, but one thing one can not do, is stop change.

There are more people around the globe that have been displaced for numerous reasons from their countries ... this will be an ongoing process as always, it has been in the past. How we adapt and deal is all on us.

What made America great to begin with ... ? What built it to the GDP growth of today? What will end that?
Is all up to us. Just as it is to Germany. Germany will try very hard, not to repeat their past, but the u.s. does not share that past, yet.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:43 AM

5,786 posts, read 1,558,918 times
Quote:
It was Rome, before it was Germany ... things change. A person can curse it, they can stop their feet, they can do all things about it, but one thing one can not do, is stop change.
I see, so you're legitimizing this behavior - got it! Good to know that you don't believe in the nation-state and do not respect centuries-old traditions and cultures. We can agree that we have fundamentally different views that will never be brought together.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I see, so you're legitimizing this behavior - got it! Good to know that you don't believe in the nation-state and do not respect centuries-old traditions and cultures. We can agree that we have fundamentally different views that will never be brought together.
Quote:
respect centuries-old traditions and cultures
We once buried our dead in tombs and we now bury them in graves facing the east ... how does that happen? And that is just one thing. Everything we do today, traditionally came from some where else; passed down as old as time itself. Why do people have a problem with this?

Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 AM

1,299 posts, read 203,776 times
Quote:
We once buried our dead in tombs and we now bury them in graves facing the east ... how does that happen? And that is just one thing. Everything we do today, traditionally came from some where else; passed down as old as time itself. Why do people have a problem with this?
Yeah, like eating dogs in some Asian culture? What about a man is allow to beat up his wife in some cultures or traditions?

Do you have a problem with that if your neighbors are doing that?

Old 07-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Yeah, like eating dogs in some Asian culture? What about a man is allow to beat up his wife in some cultures or traditions?

Do you have a problem with that if your neighbors are doing that?
All you did was point out where some cultures remain the same in some areas. Imagine if you will, that we all still live in Africa and the world is flat.

Ancient civilizations have come and gone, yet, some traditions continue to live on.

additionally ...

Ancient Civilizations
"The world as we know it today is built on the ruins of 10,000 years of advanced cultures. This collection will introduce you to some of the best-studied, including Greek, Roman, Mesopotamian, Mayan, Indus, and Egyptian."

Do you really think that in 100 years that the countries around the globe are not going to change? This whole earth is changing and she is growing very, very, old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies