U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 02:47 PM

1,173 posts, read 219,395 times

Advertisements

I was watching a hearing last night in congress on PBS?.. and there was a whole school class had traveled to DC to learn about how things worked.

AOC was present.. after the meeting was finished, EVERY SINGLE High Schooler where surrounding AOC, shaking her hands, taking selfies, talking with her. Must have been 30-40 kids!

The 20+ other politicians got maybe 5-6 kids talking to them.

Last edited by Northman83; 07-26-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 PM

12,299 posts, read 3,329,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I hope Pelosi verbally slaps her around some more. I'm a liberal by the standards of this site- and to be honest, we really need to either atone for previous actions or work on helping the folks who have been here awhile before we throw open the floodgates. The economy is changing and we need to find ways to provide training and relocation for the folks being displaced, not add even more people to the mix without adequate opportunity. And to go a step further the people would ideally want to embrace large swaths of our culture/society not simply be less bad than what they escape.

I am the grandchild of immigrants on one side and the child of a family that has been in the US for at least 400 years on the other side. In many ways the immigrant half of the family has a lot more appreciation for the freedom and opportunities in the US while the other side has more appreciation for some of the customs. But they still understood the importance of the other side of the coin. We need to establish a guest worker type arrangement for the folks who only want to be here intermittently and maintain the citizenship process for the people who truly appreciate this country.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:58 PM

12,299 posts, read 3,329,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
I was watching a hearing last night in congress on PBS?.. and there was a whole school class had traveled to DC to learn about how things worked.

AOC was present.. after the meeting was finished, EVERY SINGLE High Schooler where surrounding AOC, shaking her hands, taking selfies, talking with her. Must have been 30-40 kids!

How many of those high school kids were male ?

Old 07-26-2019, 03:23 PM

1,173 posts, read 219,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesmh View Post
how many of those high school kids were male ?
30-40%

Old 07-26-2019, 03:26 PM

19,644 posts, read 12,391,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post

Kids are fascinated with freaks.

I'll bet if Sponge Bob was there, he would have had the biggest crowd.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 PM

5,754 posts, read 1,551,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbelt10 View Post
Open borders used to be a conservative, right wing position. It aligned perfectly with the small government, less regulation, more freedom platform that was the hallmark of right wing conservatism for decades. It is still part of the Libertarian Party platform.

3.4 Free Trade and Migration
We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders.

The populist nativism currently being pushed by the GOP and right wing media is a very recent shift. It is strange to see the same party that was responsible for destroying unions, eliminating pensions and outsourcing jobs being celebrated as the voice of the white working class.
We cannot have both a welfare system and open borders - the two do not work together. If we had a completely free economy for everyone, things would be different.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:50 PM

542 posts, read 150,235 times
I am a liberal democrat but we cannot have open borders. I think we should hire more people and process people faster and separate the people truly seeking asylum from the others. Part of the problem is that we had a hand in making some of these countries unstable by interfering in their business. I don’t think we should be keeping kids in cages and Obama shouldn’t have either. Interesting that was kept hidden. Healthcare is another looming issue that needs to be resolved. Our country has to set priorities and I would start with repealing the tax cuts for the rich and put it towards HC.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM

4,992 posts, read 980,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I hope Pelosi verbally slaps her around some more. I'm a liberal by the standards of this site- and to be honest, we really need to either atone for previous actions or work on helping the folks who have been here awhile before we throw open the floodgates. The economy is changing and we need to find ways to provide training and relocation for the folks being displaced, not add even more people to the mix without adequate opportunity. And to go a step further the people would ideally want to embrace large swaths of our culture/society not simply be less bad than what they escape.

I am the grandchild of immigrants on one side and the child of a family that has been in the US for at least 400 years on the other side. In many ways the immigrant half of the family has a lot more appreciation for the freedom and opportunities in the US while the other side has more appreciation for some of the customs. But they still understood the importance of the other side of the coin. We need to establish a guest worker type arrangement for the folks who only want to be here intermittently and maintain the citizenship process for the people who truly appreciate this country.
400 years? If I may ask, what ethnicities is that side of your family? Just curious.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:52 PM

22,937 posts, read 16,975,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
LOLOL weren't there more than a few people in this forum who swore NO democrats wanted open borders?
Why yes! Yes there were. In fact, they asked for proof.

You know how it goes with the left, they pretend that context doesn't mean anything, they think it only counts if someone says, "I want open borders" (which some of them have said), but anyone who isn't a total moron knows exactly what that context means.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:57 PM

3,113 posts, read 971,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Whatever it is, its oversimplification and idiocy.
That is kind of her "thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or