Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 02:12 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It is good enough so that Trump will be reelected.
But the labor force participation rate is at 62.9% which is still lousy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 02:14 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
It depends on where on the ladder you are. If you are in the top 10% you would be doing great. However for the rest of Americans it is far from great. First all the good manufacturing jobs that the working folks occupied have dried up, but have been replaced by a larger number of service jobs. That sounds ok on the surface for most of the factory jobs packed a heap of benefits while the service jobs give little to nothing. Walmart, has proudly given raises across the board, but in most cases have limited the hours to 28hr stopping the employee from collecting any benefits like healthcare insurance. Not to worry these employees all over the country who are working for bottom wages and no health care insurance are covered by Medicaid and that's paid for by our taxes. Along with massive farm loss payouts, the gifts to the corporations and wealthy, we will be seeing a steady increase in our taxes.
The American economy is now supported by the largest credit debt in history. Student loan debt is staggering. The housing market has all but shut out the first time buyer. Collapse is right around the corner. I am sure there are many here who believe Trump is a great businessman. Nothing could be further from the truth. TRUMP IS THE ALL TIME BIGGEST BUSINESS LOSER IN HISTORY.
The only money Trump ever made was from swindle, fraud, and bankruptcy.

Here are some of Trump's failures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yJ7XfB1ydA&t=324s

Old 07-26-2019, 02:15 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Depends on who you ask if the economy is good. Where I live, the economy is too good. I wish our local economy would slow down a bit.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Did you check where the U.S. stock market closed today?
The stock market is not main street America.
I tend to look at shadowstats for the real indicator of where the economy is.

When a Democrat was in power, it was referenced all the time.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:28 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Well it's good right now from the perspective that more people are employed. It's not so good from the point of being able to afford what was once more readily available to the middle class -- health care, a college career, a house. But we're living in a global economy now, which is holding down wage growth and keeping the economy going.

For various reasons I've got a feeling that the next recession could be a deep one. Enjoy the moment while it lasts.
I have to agree but would add that an exploding deficit is a grave concern.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Firstly, it always depends on your measuring stick.

If we use something like "what if the balanced budget in the last year of Clintons POTUS had stayed that way and we paid down the debt and didn't have the Great Recession and endless wars?"....

Wow, compared to that we are in terrible shape! Horrible....not even close. Many Trillions behind the either ball.

If we use "climbing out of the worst Recession in history AND still spending vastly more than we take it"...then it's just a regular "bad".

If we use "I got mine, who cares about the country and deficit and stuff?" - then for many of us things are OK and will continue to be so.

I tend to take the longer view so the first item I mentioned is closer to my world view - that is, we are two decades behind where we should be...as well as many trillions of dollars. On an individual basis, that represents a lot of suffering, but not of the top 10 or 20%. The forgotten Man is not highly represented here on CD.

As Dad says, take a person and apply the thumbscrews...tighten them more and more. After a while, loosen them a couple turns and the person will think they are feeling pleasure. That is where our economy is at.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It is good enough so that Trump will be reelected.
GDP growth is less than when Daddy Bush was thrown out.....so I wouldn't say any single indicator was at work. Also, Daddy Bush had won a BIG war without any loses (to speak of) and was associated with the hero Ronald Reagan. Neither had the negatives associated with Trump (personality, etc.).

Daddy Bush was at 70% approval rating at this many days in - compared to 42% for Trump.

I think things are more complex than you are letting on.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:12 PM

586 posts, read 314,225 times
My retirement fund is growing by leaps and bounds. No complaints here.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
Leaps and Bounds? Compared to post-Great Recession or compared to 20 years ago?

Leaps and Bounds sounds like Buffet style....like 18% per year compounded average over decades.

"Normal" might be 10%, which would mean your investment of 100K 20 years ago would be 650K today.

Buffet "Leaps" would be 2.7 MILLION in 20 years from that 100K.

Anything below that 10% is "fair to good"...maybe down to 7% (you'd have 400K in 20 years from 100).....below that is "poor or long term average".

7% is the 100+ year average of S&P, DOW, etc.....close enough anyway.

Sometimes I think I should sell everything since I have averaged a couple points higher and yet I know that Mr. Market never allows that over the long run!

Allowing for inflation, even the normal 7% means only a gain of 4-5% per year...nothing that is going to make us all wealthy unless we keep working hard and adding to the nut. Probably as it should be...."We make money the old-fashioned way - WORK FOR IT". That's my slogan.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:54 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
I bet it really grew from 2009-2016.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/48/488b...8238179f95.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies