U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 AM

3,063 posts, read 943,338 times

Advertisements

Using our military funds to secure OUR OWN border. It’s a miracle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 AM

11,880 posts, read 6,364,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Finally.. now the next Democratic President can use the US military to build Solar Power, Wind Power and Wave power plants all over the US, to stop the dangers of Global Warming.

And blow up all coal plants... and have the US military build Electric cars.

AND Coast to coast High Speed railways.

Now THAT is in the interest of national defense!

Hurray!
Good luck trying. The Supreme Court is never going to buy off on such an expansive use of "national security" that was not contemplated by history of the National Emergencies Act.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I used to be all for building a physical barrier to prevent unauthorized people from simply walking into America but what we really need to do is stop the ridiculous asylum law and close the loophole that they are all exploiting.

We could have a wall along the entire border which would prevent some from entering but for most they would stroll to the nearest entry point and present their sob story.

We need to close the asylum law loophole.
I think that something like 90% of all asylum seekers are denied ultimately, which shows you just how phony most of these border jumpers are. A wall will go a long way to stopping people from filing from asylum (once they are physically within the United States, they gain certain rights under the Constitution, even though they are not citizens), as will the agreement with Guatemala.

Thing I can't understand is why leftists think that securing our border is a bad thing, especially when its been shown to work well in Israel and on our southern border with Mexico (areas where we have built walls have virtually zero border crossings).

Old 07-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Once when Republicans agree to prosecute companies that knowingly hires illegals... the flow will naturally stop.

Republicans LOOOOOOVE cheap defenseless labor... so, will not happen.
No, it won't. Because employers will continue to take the risk of hiring cheap labor, aided by knowing that they have an even better chance of not getting caught if they are in sanctuary cities and states. The best way to stop this problem is building a physical barrier and changing our asylum laws, though prosecution of companies hiring illegals is definitely part of the solution, too.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:16 AM

2,828 posts, read 1,930,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Federal Law making the employment of undocumented people a crime is now 33 years old. With the exception of handful of over the top egregious employment behaviors, employer consequences have been insignificant.

The handful of states that have mandated eVerify of all employees designed their laws with intentional loopholes.

Politicians conspire to make it a partisan issue to avoid taking action. Has not mattered which party had the majority or sat the oval. GOING AFTER EMPLOYERS IS POLITICAL SUICIDE.

Seems to me most folk love cheap labor.

No wall is high enough nor patrols deep enough to make a dent so long as employers continue to hire undocumented people as employees or independent contractors and face no serious consequences for doing so.
While I agree that holding employers responsible is the thing to do, neither side has shown much of an interest in going after them....and this goes back several administrations. There are ways around e-verify and while I support it, it would make little to no difference.
I do believe that the wall will have an impact...they have been pretty effective in many other countries and even near San Diego. That said, the wall is just something to stop the bleeding while the disease is cured.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:47 AM

8,845 posts, read 2,526,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Using our military funds to secure OUR OWN border. It’s a miracle
I was thinking the same thing.

We secure the border between the Koreas.
We secure the the oceans for free passage.
We spend billions on foreign aid.

But if we spend it on securing our own border it is somehow wrong?

10 carrier battle groups. NONE patrol our own coats.on 911 we couldn't even get planes off the ground, armed in a timely manner. The largest, most powerful military in the world and we were helpless.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 AM

1,227 posts, read 190,077 times
Quote:
Once when Republicans agree to prosecute companies that knowingly hires illegals... the flow will naturally stop.

Republicans LOOOOOOVE cheap defenseless labor... so, will not happen.
Republicans huh?

CA passed AB450 where they prohibited public and private employers from cooperating with immigration officials.

I don’t think CA is a republican state

Old 07-27-2019, 09:18 AM

63,316 posts, read 34,497,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Only a left winger would call border protection and security a “pet project”.
I am independent, and I just called it that.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And if you consider that it's mostly Dems in Congress withholding funds out of spite because they're still butthurt over losing in 2016....
GOP withheld it for the 1st two years of his presidency.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Trump keeps a campaign promise even with no support from Congress.
This officially breaks his #1 promise that Mexico will pay for the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or