U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

29,830 posts, read 16,509,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Another reason electric vehicles make sense... Electric motors can be more than 90% efficient and even up to 98% efficient while combustion engines are 30 to 45% efficient....

https://www.quora.com/How-energy-eff...ustion-engines

More info re-EVs... https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ctric-car.html
If they make sense there is no reason for govt. incentivize them. Reality is they don't, and once any tax credit disappears so will sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

24,190 posts, read 12,015,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Future..future....we will solve all the global warming problems in the future.

How about we do it NOW??

Reducing the speed limit back to 55 MPH reduces CO2 emissions by 30%. Add to that a reduction of jet travel to 1970's levels......and we can start addressing the problem without new taxes or pipe dreams.

Every Governor can TOMORROW reduce the speed limit on ALL roads in their states by executive order. Don't need legislation, don't need President Trump, don't need the Senate.

Let's just do it. Go back to 55 MPH!!! Reduce jet travel.

Back in 1973, the Republican governors of Washington, Oregon, and California did it overnight when the energy crises. For good measure they turned out the streetlights and required businesses to turn off their lights when closed.

Clearly, the Democrat governors of Washington, Oregon, and California ALL are focused on global warming.

Write them...and urge them to do it TODAY. BTW....we have lots of 55 MPH signs in storage!!
I will not reduce my traveling in my Cheyenne II. I will burn as much jet fuel as I please.

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

19,427 posts, read 12,306,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
IMO, cap and trade should be given another chance. It is the best idea on how to apply government regulation to ever come out of the conservative think tanks.

So good it is that the Democrats co-opted it as their path to cleaner energy during the Obama Administration.

So good it is that conservatives sunk it to prevent a guaranteed victory for said administration.

It's idiocy that only serves to redistribute money- something only a democrat would love.

CO2 is not a pollutant- this is the biggest hoax in the history of man and opposes rational science.

The evil of AGW is that it diverts funds from real problems and wastes massive resources.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,707,098 times
It wont pass the senate. Even if he somehow did Trump would veto it. Next!!

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

39,555 posts, read 40,919,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
For now.

The difference is that China and India know they are part of the problem, and are investing heavily in wind and solar.

Firstly they don't have the resources , they will burn through their domestic supply in 3 or 4 decades. In that time frame they will have burned as much as we might in 150 to 200 years. Secondly there is no slow down in coal consumption there. Ironically one thing that will be keeping them in check is Trump's tariffs.

Last edited by thecoalman; Yesterday at 03:16 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

18,240 posts, read 9,006,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I will not reduce my traveling in my Cheyenne II. I will burn as much jet fuel as I please.
Holy crap. That's a serious ride, and those P&W's get thirsty. I assumed you had a Cessna 310, which ain't now slouch either. I'm OK burning my 10 GPH going 135 KTAS.

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

39,555 posts, read 40,919,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Another reason electric vehicles make sense... Electric motors can be more than 90% efficient and even up to 98% efficient while combustion engines are 30 to 45% efficient....

That is not a proper comparison because efficiency hit for electric comes at the power plant and transmission. The newest combined cylce gas plants operated nearly constantly might be something like 60% but when you throw wind and solar into the mix plants do not achieve that because they are being operated sporadically. Then there is the efficiency hit during transmission. There is always more power on the grid and once again because of the sporadic nature of renewables this becomes more difficult to manage leaving more power on the grid than we need.

Just a quick tip about that Quora site, it's about as useful as wet toilet paper.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

29,638 posts, read 15,536,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
We may have centuries of supply, but not centuries of time. You may want to burn yourself to Hell, but I don't want to come with you. That's why I give clean energy the benefit of the doubt.

Also, there are efficiency issues with fossil fuels. Smart people have figured out how to deal with many of them. The same is happening with clean energy.
And the answer these people propose isn't banning emissions, but charging a fee that will be passed on to consumers.

If a politician said it was a fact a certain candy was poisoning children, would you accept him saying the solution is to place a tax on poisoned candy to help fix the problem?

This is just a tax scheme.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

33,962 posts, read 42,282,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is not a proper comparison because efficiency hit for electric comes at the power plant and transmission. The newest combined cylce gas plants operated nearly constantly might be something like 60% but when you throw wind and solar into the mix plants do not achieve that because they are being operated sporadically. Then there is the efficiency hit during transmission. There is always more power on the grid and once again because of the sporadic nature of renewables this becomes more difficult to manage leaving more power on the grid than we need.

Just a quick tip about that Quora site, it's about as useful as wet toilet paper.
Quota has more dumbasses than this place does and, unbelievably, even more conspiracy theorists. It can be a scary place.

Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

30,509 posts, read 20,162,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You mean consumers need to pay for those import taxes, right?

Carbon tax on US manufacturing good!

Tax on Chinese imports bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or