U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 PM

8,539 posts, read 2,556,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Nothing Emmett Till did was worth killing him.
We have no way of knowing what he did, but that's not the point. Your relatives would not have done what he did, so it could not "have been them".

Old 08-02-2019, 05:11 AM

8,220 posts, read 2,493,712 times
Quote:
I just see it from this perspective. Anyone who could excuse or condone what those students did, those persons are morally bankrupt.
Personally, I view it from the historical perspective i.e. American people have been coddling the neo-Confederates from day 1. Yes it's bizarre & it appears to be catching a 2nd wind.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:44 AM

33,893 posts, read 14,273,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
We have no way of knowing what he did, but that's not the point. Your relatives would not have done what he did, so it could not "have been them".
Yes actually we do know what happened because the woman who claimed that Till flirted with her recanted her story. But even if her story was true you're insinuating he was to blame because others knew better, maybe you should blame the lynch mob that saw the need to kill and torture a 15 year old over some perceived minor sleight.

Besides you evidently don't even need to do anything wrong, just have some white person make a claim.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:48 AM

8,220 posts, read 2,493,712 times
This piece captures the dynamic in this thread i.e. ...

Quote:
Emmett Till continues to torment our imaginations. How could two (and almost certainly more) grown men, veterans, over six feet tall, see a fourteen year old kid as such a threat to "the southern way of life" that they tortured and killed him? How could a Mississippi court exonerate them? The story haunts us still, and more important, it haunted a whole generation of people, especially those who became activists in the Freedom Struggle.

... What is so tragic about the Till story is not that southerners were uniformly hateful or at least indifferent. Outrage followed the initial reports of the murder. But outrage soon gave way to caution and sectional defensiveness. The tragedy of the story comes from the fact that people like Hodding Carter knew better, were truly horrified by the viciousness of the crime, but were not so horrified that they failed to defend Mississippi's honor. More important, they soon downplayed the viciousness of Till's killing to defend "the southern way of life," which is to say segregation. They loved justice, but when push came to shove, they loved segregation—or more precisely, they feared integration—more.
Unquiet Emmett Till

https://southernspaces.org/2015/unquiet-emmett-till

One would think we know better now & knowing better would translate into doing better. Time will tell.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 AM

9,457 posts, read 8,123,497 times
Quote:
I still have relatives who stayed in Mississippi into the 50s and 60s. Had my grandparents stayed, it could have still be them.

And it isn't about whether or not it affects my life. It's called having empathy for other people. How hard is that to understand?

For some people it's an insurmountable task, evidently.

I'll add a sense of moral right/wrong to your empathy, as well.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes actually we do know what happened because the woman who claimed that Till flirted with her recanted her story. But even if her story was true you're insinuating he was to blame because others knew better, maybe you should blame the lynch mob that saw the need to kill and torture a 15 year old over some perceived minor sleight.

Besides you evidently don't even need to do anything wrong, just have some white person make a claim.

Couldn't rep you again, yet. How someone can say "we don't know what happened" with a straight face baffles me.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:21 AM

11,937 posts, read 9,504,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
First of all he didnít do anything

Second, even if he did whistle the response shouldnít be a horrible death.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:23 AM

11,937 posts, read 9,504,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Couldn't rep you again, yet. How someone can say "we don't know what happened" with a straight face baffles me.
Ignorance. These folks will lie to themselves but deep down they know.

Itís all the proof you need to let you know some folks donít view others as equals.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Ignorance. These folks will lie to themselves but deep down they know.

Itís all the proof you need to let you know some folks donít view others as equals.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:48 AM

49,089 posts, read 46,034,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Disgusting pukes. They should all be forced to view the pic of Till's face as he layed in his casket.
Disgusting, morally bankrupt individuals. I don't think a viewing of Till's face in the casket would change their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or