Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 14 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Justice Alito's dissent was heartfelt and moving, but there is a reason why it is, as you note, the lone dissent. The Snyder v. Phelps case was decided 8-1, which meant that it united both conservatives and liberals on the Court to hold, in essence, that hate speech is fully protected as free speech under the First Amendment.

As much respect that I have for Justice Alito, if his position was to be adopted, I fear we'd be going down a slippery slope that would lead to the stifling of speech that we don't happen to like.
Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) also was decided with one lone dissenting voice. Only to have it overturned in Brown v. Board of Education (1954).

Old 07-28-2019, 03:32 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
You can't blame Donald Trump for the Ole Miss students behavior. The President had to send in troops to desegregate Ole Miss.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...on/1831058001/
An investigation? lol Some kids did something stupid. That wraps up the investigation.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
You can't blame Donald Trump for the Ole Miss students behavior. The President had to send in troops to desegregate Ole Miss.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...on/1831058001/

LOL!
Investigate for what? Why today is, shut the **** up Friday?

Old 07-28-2019, 04:08 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
If members of the Black Panther Party stood with guns in front of a bullet riddled statue of Jefferson Davis would people feel more threatened?

Last edited by thriftylefty; 07-28-2019 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 05:05 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If members of the Black Panther Party stood with guns in front of a bullet riddled statue of Jefferson Davis would people would feel more threatened?
We're ignoring the difference between victim and perpetrator?

Old 07-28-2019, 05:25 PM

119 posts, read 63,090 times
Default no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And any speech you or other progressives don't like is "hate speech", right? Calling illegal aliens, illegal aliens is hate speech. Holding minorities accountable for their own problems is hate speech. Wanting to protect legal gun rights for the law abiding his hate speech.

The First Amendment protects speech that we don't like, not just speech in which we agree. The concept of hate speech is TOTALITARIAN OPPRESSION, and Tyranny.
See that is what is wrong with the MAGA crowd. You assume things that were never said.

Example:

I do not know anyone who thinks calling people Illegals is hate speech.

I do not know anyone who wants to take away your guns.

You have bought into what the NRA TELLS you to think..have you ever ASKED A LIBERAL if they want your guns? I sure don't. Heck half my liberal friends OWN Guns. It is just they are not paranoid.

You hear "gun safety" legislation or "backround checks" and your mind says "take my guns". It is nuts because NOBODY EVER said they wanted them.

What happened in Mississippi is filled with hate. It is racist, it is evil and it is disgusting. If you do not understand that, that is your problem.

And if MAGAS love free speech so much why do they get off on calling Dems traitors when Dems EXCERISE their free speech? I mean..MAGAS are triggered by everything. If Dems call Trump a racist, we are traitors and enemies of the country..right?

Last edited by sand and sea; 07-28-2019 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: spelling.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Default no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So do you aspire to become a member of the Thought Police, judging the very thoughts and resulting speech of others? I’ll agree that actively threatening to harm others is not to be tolerated, but offending is hardly the same. Likewise, I find the very notion of “hate crime” to be ridiculous as actions are either criminal or not and are not based the feels of anyone. Back to speech, if I advocate pissing on the grave of Emmit Till, what crime have I committed? I understand those using him to further their playing of the victim card will scream with outrage (per their agenda), but where is the crime?
Think whatever you want.I don't care. These students deserve to be expelled.

And nobody is using anyone. It seems as though you lack the thinking skills to understand and/or empathise WHY it would be offensive. That is to bad.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Tell us about this aggressive in-store behavior. His unwanted attention towards a white woman? You do know she admitted she made the whole thing up, right?
B ut blaming the victim is a MAGA specialty.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand and sea View Post
Think whatever you want.I don't care. These students deserve to be expelled.

And nobody is using anyone. It seems as though you lack the thinking skills to understand and/or empathise WHY it would be offensive. That is to bad.
The law is not based on feelings.

By your measure then, any student anywhere who has ever expressed support for BLM should similarly be expelled. There are, after all, those who find such expression offensive.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:55 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The "left" has zero to do with this if Ole Miss, MS. Officials or the DOJ are looking into it.
I hope you're joking, because that would be illegal. The DOJ has no jurisdiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies