U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2019, 02:12 PM
 
15,541 posts, read 4,117,717 times
Reputation: 11186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
So, this seems to suggest that many Dems that are more environmentally-conscious means they care more about people than Repubs? Well, score one for them.
Well, this is certainly a fact. Not even under dispute. Very few Republicans in the offices of all the major groups fighting the battles in the states and federally to keep things cleaner.

Democrats, in general, do not cheer when pollution loving hacks are appointed to lead the EPA.

So, yes, I'd put that forward as provable fact.....just as only 6% of Scientists IDing as Republican.....for what reason? Yep, because Republicans are more anti-science and reason/logic.

True. Now...this doesn't mean YOU cannot be a Republican and care about the environment. But it certainly means, given the chance, that the Republican party turns anything and everything possible backwards (like Trump tried with MPG and succeeded with MANY other environmental regs)....

Most people have zero idea of what has been rolled back and how many will suffer and die for it. Take my word for it. Just a few of many examples - hundreds of changes, all for more pollution:
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0...ical-donations


"More Than 80 Anti-Environment Riders

Last year, Democrats were successful in stripping 160 riders out of an earlier stopgap spending bill before its passage.

"More than 80 anti-environmental-policy riders are included in either the House-passed version of the new appropriations bill or in the Senate drafts this year. They include 12 riders to block enforcement of the Endangered Species Act, including protection of the Sage Grouse, whose numbers are dwindling across 11 western states, where habitat protection interferes with mining and oil and gas activities."

Let's call it as it is.....quite clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2019, 02:13 PM
 
3,783 posts, read 1,823,420 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Are Trump supporters complaining? No. They are defending his policies, even the ones that will do them harm. Why should I feel bad about that? They are getting EXACTLY what they voted for.

The question will be if a Democratic candidate is making a list of all this to run against. Trump is handing them so many issues, I hope one of them is willing to name and shame these people. Trump doesn't care about anything, he just gets excited if they let him sign something but these people have an agenda that does harm to humanity.*

*That last sentence? A Trump supporter will say that is not true.

That is why I don't feel bad for them.
Ok got it. If 100 people die and 70 voted for Trump you are glad the other 30 are gonna die because they live in the same area.

You are truly sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 02:57 PM
 
5,518 posts, read 6,927,405 times
Reputation: 4327
In 2018 DuPont gave money equally among Republicans and Democrats to get favored treatment.
https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pac...926&cycle=2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 03:02 PM
 
Location: SGV
24,937 posts, read 9,730,758 times
Reputation: 9761
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
50X Higher than average.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...special-report

"chloroprene was recorded at a staggering 755 times above the EPAs guidance. Nearly 400 young children attend the school, breathing the air each day."

"Enforcement typically waxes under Democratic administrations and wanes under Republican ones. [But] its much worse under Trump than it was under any previous Republican administration, Subra says."

MAGA....kill more people for more profits.
They've known about it for more than 30 years according to the article.

Slick Willy and Barry didn't save the day either.

Maybe the government is the problem and not the solution?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 04:48 PM
 
Location: SDL/PDX/RDU
4,832 posts, read 2,586,658 times
Reputation: 5610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Interesting how liberals gave Obama a pass on Flint
Maybe because the situation was largely the result of actions by Michigan's Republican governor and his administration at the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 05:48 PM
 
15,637 posts, read 13,609,582 times
Reputation: 21509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
WRONG. These rules are being changed by TRUMP. Trump's EPA is making these changes.

This has received very little news coverage and it is a classic example of why Trump wants his supporters to believe his "fake news" outcries. Trump does not want his supporters to know what he's doing and like the sheep they are, it works.

WASHINGTON The Environmental Protection Agency is preparing to weaken rules that for the past quarter-century have given communities a voice in deciding how much pollution may legally be released by nearby power plants and factories.

The changes would eliminate the ability of individuals or community advocates to appeal against E.P.A.-issued pollution permits before a panel of agency judges. However, the industrial permit-holders could still appeal to the panel, known as the Environmental Appeals Board, to allow them to increase their pollution.


E.P.A. Plans to Curtail the Ability of Communities to Oppose Pollution Permits
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/c...on-appeal.html

The only positive out of all this is this will mostly effect Trump voter locations so one could say "they voted for that".
Sigh...again, this has been going on for 47 years, I do not understand what you cannot comprehend about that.

During that 47 years, Trump was not president for most of it, there were a few Democrat presidents, and six Democrat governors of Louisiana, and not a single one of them did anything about it.

Repeat after me - "this has been a problem for 47 years"

Trump's actions now, which have not even been implemented, has nothing to do with what happened during the last 47 years, well take that back, the 45 years before Trump took office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 05:56 PM
 
Location: USA
18,251 posts, read 9,016,622 times
Reputation: 13732
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They've known about it for more than 30 years according to the article.

Slick Willy and Barry didn't save the day either.

Maybe the government is the problem and not the solution?

We DON'T have LAX regulations at all. We have very strict regulations with harsh penalties, but since Trump cut a few UNECESSARY ones that were REDUNDANT then they get all in a tizzy.

We have a Fed EPA and every state has their own version of the EPA and even local governments have environomental regulations. Yet, these dolts are never happy until government controls every part of their lives for everything conceivable. We are getting to that point, but they want MORE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 06:15 PM
 
15,541 posts, read 4,117,717 times
Reputation: 11186
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
In 2018 DuPont gave money equally among Republicans and Democrats to get favored treatment.
https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pac...926&cycle=2018
And.....obviously, according to ALL records, Democrats passed more environmental legislation.

So they obviously are not purchased as cheaply as Republicans. Thanks for sharing. No, false equivalencies do not mean much. I'm sure DuPont makes some good things we all use.

Has nothing to do with our allowance of pollution. Republicans, given their actual actions, are saying "We'd rather buy something for $8.50 and kill more people than to pay $8.99 and kill fewer.

Those are basically the stakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 06:18 PM
 
15,541 posts, read 4,117,717 times
Reputation: 11186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We DON'T have LAX regulations at all. We have very strict regulations with harsh penalties, but since Trump cut a few UNECESSARY ones that were REDUNDANT then they get all in a tizzy.

We have a Fed EPA and every state has their own version of the EPA and even local governments have environomental regulations. Yet, these dolts are never happy until government controls every part of their lives for everything conceivable. We are getting to that point, but they want MORE.
You are wrong. But what do I know. My daughter is only one of the leading environmental lawyers in the country...AND an engineer! But what does she know?

Trump wouldn't know what regs did what...and either would you.

If he "meant well" he would appoint a scientist with a good record to head the EPA, not sold-out fossil fuel shills.

You don't hire used car sales people to build fine furniture. And you don't hire hacks who have long ago sold out to dirty industries to "clean things up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2019, 06:41 PM
 
39,558 posts, read 40,928,004 times
Reputation: 16338
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And.....obviously, according to ALL records, Democrats passed more environmental legislation.

What is considered the single most important piece of environmental legislation, the 1990 Amendment to the Clean Air Act, was authored by the first Bush administration. What you perceive as being lax is being practical instead of being bat **** nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top