Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 12:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,390,319 times

Advertisements

There's a cancertown about 10 miles from me. It's downwind of a huge synthetic rubber factory complex. Very high rates of cancer, birth defects, and asthma. The self identified liberal Democrat mayor just agreed to allow even higher amounts of pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 12:45 PM

19,781 posts, read 12,014,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
wait, the guardian is satire isn't it?

Not when it bashes Trump.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:49 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,337,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And here you are typing on a device which required chemicals that are carcinogens and heavy metals to produce.

"I abhor toxic chemicals, well unless I need them. At that point, they're ok."
?? Yes I own a telephone. What's your point?

I never said I abhor toxik chemicals.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
WRONG. These rules are being changed by TRUMP. Trump's EPA is making these changes.

This has received very little news coverage and it is a classic example of why Trump wants his supporters to believe his "fake news" outcries. Trump does not want his supporters to know what he's doing and like the sheep they are, it works.

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency is preparing to weaken rules that for the past quarter-century have given communities a voice in deciding how much pollution may legally be released by nearby power plants and factories.

The changes would eliminate the ability of individuals or community advocates to appeal against E.P.A.-issued pollution permits before a panel of agency judges. However, the industrial permit-holders could still appeal to the panel, known as the Environmental Appeals Board, to allow them to increase their pollution.

E.P.A. Plans to Curtail the Ability of Communities to Oppose Pollution Permits
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/c...on-appeal.html

The only positive out of all this is this will mostly effect Trump voter locations so one could say "they voted for that".
So you're happy poor people die of cancer because some of them voted for Trump. What is wrong with you?

Old 07-27-2019, 12:51 PM

161 posts, read 106,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Nuances matter. Note the article says environmental standards tend to get stricter under Dems and looser under the GOP.

Since I have a family member who is a high placed attorney in such matters, I can confirm this as 100% truth.

Many of you seem to think "unless one is perfect they have NO RIGHT to fight for better". That's a silly way of looking at the world and society. We are all on a journey and direction matters.
You missed the point. You're blaming Trump for something that's been happening since long before he even took office. And if your goal was to improve living conditions by addressing an issue, distracting from the issue by making this a partisan debate is a very poor method of accomplishing that goal.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:57 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,462,460 times
Quote:
MAGA....kill more people for more profits.
You didn't read your own article.
  • Problem was found by the EPA in 2015 - Obama did nothing.
  • Action was taken in 2017 - Trump was President.
Big fat fail for you again on that one.

(this is the 2nd time you have been burned today by reading tripe from the completely discredited The Guardian)

MAGA indeed.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:59 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,752,946 times
Quote:
50X Higher than average.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...special-report

"chloroprene was recorded at a staggering 755 times above the EPA’s guidance. Nearly 400 young children attend the school, breathing the air each day."

"Enforcement typically waxes under Democratic administrations and wanes under Republican ones. “[But] it’s much worse under Trump than it was under any previous Republican administration,” Subra says."

Somebody needs to learn about how long it takes cancer to develop after exposure to "likely carcinogens."

Beyond that, the area was dubbed "Cancer Alley" 30 years ago, and has been a cancer risk zone for 50 years.

Liberal clowns are so amusing!

Old 07-27-2019, 01:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,382,414 times
Quote:
50X Higher than average.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...special-report

"chloroprene was recorded at a staggering 755 times above the EPA’s guidance. Nearly 400 young children attend the school, breathing the air each day."

"Enforcement typically waxes under Democratic administrations and wanes under Republican ones. “[But] it’s much worse under Trump than it was under any previous Republican administration,” Subra says."

So, this seems to suggest that many Dems that are more environmentally-conscious means they care more about people than Repubs? Well, score one for them.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by End Game View Post
You missed the point. You're blaming Trump for something that's been happening since long before he even took office. And if your goal was to improve living conditions by addressing an issue, distracting from the issue by making this a partisan debate is a very poor method of accomplishing that goal.
You're dealing with a narcissist.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
So you're happy poor people die of cancer because some of them voted for Trump. What is wrong with you?
Are Trump supporters complaining? No. They are defending his policies, even the ones that will do them harm. Why should I feel bad about that? They are getting EXACTLY what they voted for.

The question will be if a Democratic candidate is making a list of all this to run against. Trump is handing them so many issues, I hope one of them is willing to name and shame these people. Trump doesn't care about anything, he just gets excited if they let him sign something but these people have an agenda that does harm to humanity.*

*That last sentence? A Trump supporter will say that is not true.

That is why I don't feel bad for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies