U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 1,229,685 times

Advertisements

It is too late. Turn up the AC and buy a gas guzzler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:16 PM

21,629 posts, read 19,402,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Imagine how big the fed govt's footprint is? you know the entity that is going make demands on we the little people while it consumes like there is no end in sight
Aren't people just waiting for excuses like that so they themselves don't have to change? They always expect others to take the first step, so in the end nobody does.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:23 PM

29,870 posts, read 16,528,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Aren't people just waiting for excuses like that so they themselves don't have to change? They always expect others to take the first step, so in the end nobody does.
Its not an excuse its a reality. The state will put its boot on our throats, grab our wallets in half ***ed attempts to combat something it cant prove exists and even if it did, be able to do a thing about it. In the meantime you are free to make whatever changes you feel are appropriate in your own life.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its not an excuse its a reality. The state will put its boot on our throats, grab our wallets in half ***ed attempts to combat something it cant prove exists and even if it did, be able to do a thing about it. In the meantime you are free to make whatever changes you feel are appropriate in your own life.
I find that attitude funny, especially in a country where most people are religious. I.e. they believe in gods, but they reject climate change

And stop blaming the government, no matter how bad it is. You are an adult and have to act responsible all by yourself.

It is important that the vast majority of humans downsize because climate change, resource depletion etc. don't know borders.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:49 PM

11,371 posts, read 2,823,666 times
Climate change nuts are like the end of the world cults. Predictions come and go.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:53 PM

10,844 posts, read 4,478,053 times
Quote:
Today they also said in the news that today is the day of the year that the world population has used up all resources the planet had to give this year. I.e. the next 5 months are on credit so to speak. And since that happens year after year, the mountain of accumulated credit is already huge.
And even that is only the global truth, because poor developing countries - which are not developing countries voluntarily, but want to catch up - compensate for extremely wasteful, unsustainable countries like the US, Australia etc. In the US the day when the year's resources have already been used up is at the end of February.

I find it silly when I read carbon neutrality by 2050. As if we had 30 more years to continue like in the past.
I think if environmental psychopaths like Trump, Bolsonaro etc. continue with their greed over reason crusade, the world will indeed go down the drain. Maybe it is time for much more drastic, violent action.

Philosophically, we need to downsize our whole way of life, slash our material ambitions, learn to live with negative growth, etc. It's the only real escape from a very bleak future, no matter how much people don't want to think about it.
^^^ Dangerous nonsense... a reason to feel righteous about the exciting prospect of "drastic, violent action."

Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 PM

They are showing a report on Bengaluru on tv now, that booming Indian city is running out of water. The economic success is killing the city.

In Chile avocado plantations are destroying entire regions that are turning into desert.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
^^^ Dangerous nonsense... a reason to feel righteous about the exciting prospect of "drastic, violent action."
It's not nonsense just because you don't get it, yet.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM

19,470 posts, read 12,330,219 times
Quote:
It's not nonsense just because you don't get it, yet.

"Get it"?

And what are your specific credentials, degrees, and publication record that affords you this tremendous insight into physics and the interaction of IR energy and CO2?

If you "got it", you would not believe in AGW.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM

5,203 posts, read 1,303,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If anthropogenic climate change wasn't a hoax, we might see common sense initiatives like:
1) 80% transition to electric traction rail in place of long haul diesel trucking, urban and suburban mass transit. Not only will it save 90-95% in fuel, allow for energy recovery braking, but reduce petroleum consumption below domestic production.
2) Superinsulation, energy conservation, resilient and frugal housing. Housing consumes a substantial amount of resources to build, repair, and maintain. Ditto, for dealing with natural disasters.
3) Securing coastlines and recovering seafloor not unlike the Netherlands, with extensive levees and flood protection.
Why aren't the ALARMISTS seeking these common sense solutions?
Are the rich selling off their waterfront property?
No-o-o-o.
Alarmists want money and power by taxing air and sequestering carbon (!) despite the fact that the #1 greenhouse gas is WATER VAPOR and plants need carbon dioxide to live.

It's a hoax, folks.
I have said this before. If Americans are SO concerned about global warming or climate change or whatever we are calling it this week, why do they AC everything to death in the summer? I just got back from the hair salon. AC was set on 65 and I was freezing. It's like 80 degrees out and gorgeous. Low humidity. No reason to keep it like a meat locker. When businesses stop doing that because they are so concerned, THEN I will believe it. BTW, they don't do this in Europe. I do think the government gets involved in how much you can heat and cool your house. I took a cooking class in Italy once and the American lady who taught it told us you freeze in the winter because you can't turn up your own heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or