Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 01:46 PM

5,851 posts, read 3,270,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I can see the global warmers walking the streets carrying signs" We are doomed in 18 months, repent.
Those are the dim bulb global warmers. The smart ones are the ones who make baseless predictions 40 or even 100 years out that suggest projected theories suggest our doom is going to happen and we need to pay the rich now to prevent it. They make their money and we'll never know if they were right or just con artists. They'll be dead, we'll be dead , their grandkids will be richer, our grandkids will be poorer.
So true. Al Gore is a very rich man!

Old 07-28-2019, 05:05 PM

18,867 posts, read 14,057,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most of the new public transit systems lose money every year. The public won't use them because they don't like them.
[1] yes [2] no.
If you check the historical record BEFORE 1920, you'll find that 90% of all urban trips were by electric transit rail. . . and it was privately owned and operated without tax payer funding. But the local gubmints crippled rail by (a) taxation and (b) fare control that prevented the companies from passing on ever higher tax bills.

I think the public loves rail. . . if they had experienced quality. In my own personal experience, riding old streetcars in Pittsburgh was far superior to riding gasoline / diesel buses - and I rode buses to school for 8 years.

The Powers That Be now control "new" public transit, and it was determined long ago that electric transit rail must die. The reasons and methods are beyond the scope of this reply. Here's a snippet to illustrate.
= > > Auto / Oil / Pavement Hegemony < < =
For a cogent example of the political power of the “road gang” consider this - In 1963, Alweg proposed to the city of Los Angeles a monorail system that would be designed, built, operated and maintained by Alweg. Alweg promised to take all financial risk from the construction, and the system would be repaid through fares collected. The City Council rejected the proposal in favor of no transit at all... thanks to the pressure from Standard Oil (Exxon, today).
“A former Alweg engineer once told me that there was much excitement for the proposal at the time, that is until Standard Oil got involved. Practically overnight support for the project disappeared amongst LA politicians.”
LA's Worst Transit Decision

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._monorails.php
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2007/0...radbury_wi.php
http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb...n/op-bradbury5
http://www.greencar.com/articles/ray...speaks-out.php

The Wuppertal Schwebebahn is over 100 years old - and still popular with the ridership.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal_Schwebebahn

That public rail systems lose money is hilarious since steel wheel on steel rail is the most efficient form of land transport (90% savings or more on fuel). Only a government could effectively sabotage the Laws of Physics.
But since the automobile / oil / pavement hegemony and its supporters account for 22% of the GNP, it stands to reason. [Economists estimate that a family automobile accounts for up to 25% of the family budget. Transitioning to rail would cut costs 90% or more, and that means lost jobs and incomes. Of course families would only spend 2.5% on transportation costs...]

Old 07-28-2019, 05:43 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,804,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

British Columbia is getting 118 new buses, including 10 electric buses in Greater Victoria.

That's besides the point. It isn't in USA.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,804,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post

Most of the new public transit systems lose money every year. The public won't use them because they don't like them.

In America. So .... why doesn't the American public like them? Is it a loss of personal status thing? Because, you know, cars are status symbols in America.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,377,990 times
It is not the end of the world as we know it, so we should feel a little fine.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:19 PM

19,673 posts, read 10,001,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In America. So .... why doesn't the American public like them? Is it a loss of personal status thing? Because, you know, cars are status symbols in America.
Many of them don't go to where the public needs transportation.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,373,020 times
It is amazing to me that it has come to this.

Politicizing science is the height of corrupt governance, and must be called out!

The leftists have this retarded lust for control, and it must be countered!

They are charlatans! ENOUGH with that BS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5B8gcpggfs

Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,139,744 times
People fussing about weather. Whatever.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:16 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,477,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The 18 months was Prince Charles speaking about the importance of critical UN meetings that are due to take place between now and the end of 2020.

It's not literally 18 months, it's just the importance some commentators are placing on climate change meetings for our future, and more especially the UN meetings over the nxt 18 months.
As he takes all his trips on private jets.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,833,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nope.

Speaking for myself. I like the freedom of the car. Come and go when I please, where I please with whom I please.

Where I live now I use Taxis and the BTS. I tolerate the BTS only because I won't be stuck in traffic. Same is true of Taxis. If I must be stuck in traffic let someone else drive and deal with it.

Public transportation is fine until you are crammed into a car like sardines.

Some of us don't give a damn what others think of our cars or us. Most care about freedom and convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies