Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 10:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-env...medium=ios_app

I know it comes off as sensationalist. I usually post threads like this because it interesting to see the talks between deniers and believers.

Though I don’t thing sensationalizing things is good as it gets people into not taking a matter seriously. Someone posted a comment that I agreed with:

“Interesting article

“A more fundamental problem with deadline-ism is that it might incite cynical, cry-wolf responses and undermine the credibility of climate science when an anticipated disaster does not happen.”

“The impacts of climate change are more likely to be intermittent, slow and gradual.”

So I guess the challenge is to convince people that we need to act even though disaster may not be imminent.”

Followed by:
“It's kind of a catch-22. Citing the pure data doesn't sound like enough of a motivation for the average layperson ("If we don't act now, temperatures will rise by a degree a decade from now!"), while going into speculation risks backfiring if it doesn't happen as predicted ("Twenty years ago, they said we'd all be underwater by now!").”
Today they also said in the news that today is the day of the year that the world population has used up all resources the planet had to give this year. I.e. the next 5 months are on credit so to speak. And since that happens year after year, the mountain of accumulated credit is already huge.
And even that is only the global truth, because poor developing countries - which are not developing countries voluntarily, but want to catch up - compensate for extremely wasteful, unsustainable countries like the US, Australia etc. In the US the day when the year's resources have already been used up is at the end of February.

I find it silly when I read carbon neutrality by 2050. As if we had 30 more years to continue like in the past.
I think if environmental psychopaths like Trump, Bolsonaro etc. continue with their greed over reason crusade, the world will indeed go down the drain. Maybe it is time for much more drastic, violent action.

Philosophically, we need to downsize our whole way of life, slash our material ambitions, learn to live with negative growth, etc. It's the only real escape from a very bleak future, no matter how much people don't want to think about it.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:15 PM

937 posts, read 927,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If anthropogenic climate change wasn't a hoax, we might see common sense initiatives like:
1) 80% transition to electric traction rail in place of long haul diesel trucking, urban and suburban mass transit. Not only will it save 90-95% in fuel, allow for energy recovery braking, but reduce petroleum consumption below domestic production.
2) Superinsulation, energy conservation, resilient and frugal housing. Housing consumes a substantial amount of resources to build, repair, and maintain. Ditto, for dealing with natural disasters.
3) Securing coastlines and recovering seafloor not unlike the Netherlands, with extensive levees and flood protection.
Why aren't the ALARMISTS seeking these common sense solutions?
Are the rich selling off their waterfront property?
No-o-o-o.
Alarmists want money and power by taxing air and sequestering carbon (!) despite the fact that the #1 greenhouse gas is WATER VAPOR and plants need carbon dioxide to live.

It's a hoax, folks.
.... Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...

Old 07-29-2019, 01:30 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Al Gore's carbon footprint is 20x larger than the average American's.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
If anthropogenic climate change wasn't a hoax, we might see common sense initiatives like:
1) 80% transition to electric traction rail in place of long haul diesel trucking, urban and suburban mass transit. Not only will it save 90-95% in fuel, allow for energy recovery braking, but reduce petroleum consumption below domestic production.
2) Superinsulation, energy conservation, resilient and frugal housing. Housing consumes a substantial amount of resources to build, repair, and maintain. Ditto, for dealing with natural disasters.
3) Securing coastlines and recovering seafloor not unlike the Netherlands, with extensive levees and flood protection.
No-o-o-o.
Alarmists want money and power by taxing air and sequestering carbon (!) despite the fact that the #1 greenhouse gas is WATER VAPOR and plants need carbon dioxide to live.

It's a hoax, folks.
Yes, then follow those moves with these;

- Bernie Sanders and Al Gore reducing the number of houses they own.
- Alarmists reducing their air travel
- Alarmists downsizing their homes
- Stop flying thousands of alarmists all over the world to talk about AGW and begin using phone conferencing
- Stop flying 1700 private jets to the alarmist meetings every year

Hypocrites abound.

https://www.mrc.org/articles/media-h...ivate-jets-fly

Old 07-29-2019, 01:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
But reducing your carbon footprint is for little people, not celebrities.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But reducing your carbon footprint is for little people, not celebrities.
I know you meant it ironically, but it would indeed be enough because relative to the world population the number of celebrities is kind of irrelevant.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:55 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Today they also said in the news that today is the day of the year that the world population has used up all resources the planet had to give this year. I.e. the next 5 months are on credit so to speak. And since that happens year after year, the mountain of accumulated credit is already huge.
And even that is only the global truth, because poor developing countries - which are not developing countries voluntarily, but want to catch up - compensate for extremely wasteful, unsustainable countries like the US, Australia etc. In the US the day when the year's resources have already been used up is at the end of February.

I find it silly when I read carbon neutrality by 2050. As if we had 30 more years to continue like in the past.
I think if environmental psychopaths like Trump, Bolsonaro etc. continue with their greed over reason crusade, the world will indeed go down the drain. Maybe it is time for much more drastic, violent action.

Philosophically, we need to downsize our whole way of life, slash our material ambitions, learn to live with negative growth, etc. It's the only real escape from a very bleak future, no matter how much people don't want to think about it.
Great plan- revert to the Stone Age and use animal dung and wood for fuel- that will help! Let's also go back to subsistence agriculture with everyone living in the country. The "Cultural Revolution" in China proved that worked so well, we should try it in the US.

Libs are depressing and defeatists.

Let's try to colonize Mars then expand beyond our solar system. Man is capable of doing it............. even with the baggage of liberals.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:06 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
No-o-o-o.

It's a hoax, folks.
Yep!

Old 07-29-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great plan- revert to the Stone Age and use animal dung and wood for fuel- that will help! Let's also go back to subsistence agriculture with everyone living in the country. The "Cultural Revolution" in China proved that worked so well, we should try it in the US.

Libs are depressing and defeatists.

Let's try to colonize Mars then expand beyond our solar system. Man is capable of doing it............. even with the baggage of liberals.
Exaggeration is not an argument. Nor does our planet care what overachievers want. Many people are already fed up with our modern world, regardless of the environment.
All it takes is to become aware that our current system is simply crazy and unsustainable.

Forget Mars, it will take hundreds or thousands of years to become inhabitable, and even than only if everything works as planned. There is no point in fantasizing about settling on other planets when we have a perfectly fine planet right here and now.

It's like a cat saying, I will continue to crap into my own basked because there might be another basket in another city 100 years from now.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:49 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Imagine how big the fed govt's footprint is? you know the entity that is going make demands on we the little people while it consumes like there is no end in sight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies