U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 12:19 PM

34,763 posts, read 29,567,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
If Trump proposed real solutions; ie taking away all incentives for single parenthood, placing all their corrupt local officials under federal investigation, placing extreme mandatory minimums on criminals, etc. he would be labelled a racist for that as well. There is no winning with these people. The conditions they live in are by choice. More federal money wonít help, the district has received the 3rd most federal funds in the entire country over the last 5 years and the conditions have gotten worse, the money is being squandered.
We have an administration that's working to make sure the SCOTUS is in a position to overturn Roe v. Wade and your first comment was to take away aid money from single parents.

That's wildly illogical.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:20 PM

52,924 posts, read 42,585,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
83% of the population of West Baltimore is black. Over 68% of the population of the entire city is black.

Do you really need someone to draw you a map on this one?
If someone points out that nobody wants to take a vacation to Kansas (49th in tourism) is it racist?

Baltimore only hit Trumps radar because his critic was from there. Trumps been an equal opportunity offender over the years with his big stupid face. Just because the target this time happened to be black instead of Rosie O'donnel or SNL or Alec Baldwin or dozens upon dozens of others doesn't make it racist.

By most reasonable metrics, Baltimore is a crap hole. Just like almost nobody takes vacations to KS.

If he said it's BECAUSE of black people then yep, that'd be racist but to just extrapolate is BS.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You aren't doing yourself any favors with these obtuse arguments. You know that Trump has punched Democrats right squarely in the nose over their biggest failure of the last 50 years, i.e. the condition of America's inner cities which they run.

Democrats hate it with a passion, won't address it, and instead give silly rebuttals such as this. It's very very clear where these out of touch politicians are, and Trump is the first President to actually call them out for what they are.
If Trump was in Venice, where would he dine?

Good grief, this is ridiculous. Him "punching in the nose" by insulting actual cities with voters in them is just pain rude. And stupid.

He's stupid.

He is a self-absorbed, stupid jackass.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If someone points out that nobody wants to take a vacation to Kansas (49th in tourism) is it racist?

Baltimore only hit Trumps radar because his critic was from there. Trumps been an equal opportunity offender over the years with his big stupid face. Just because the target this time happened to be black instead of Rosie O'donnel or SNL or Alec Baldwin or dozens upon dozens of others doesn't make it racist.

By most reasonable metrics, Baltimore is a crap hole. Just like almost nobody takes vacations to KS.

If he said it's BECAUSE of black people then yep, that'd be racist but to just extrapolate is BS.
It's not blatantly racist. I think I mentioned it someplace earlier in the thread.

It's "casually racist."

Meaning, he doesn't care enough about being sensitive to black people or NOT appearing to be a racist ass that he didn't bother to consider that such a blatant condemnation of a majority black city would look quite racist.

I use his past discriminatory practices as evidence that he's no friend to the black community and has a an established pattern of racist behavior.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,455,046 times
Quote:
I'm actually not a fan of Baltimore. I just think it wasn't very civil or becoming of a President to refer to a large city in the USA as a dump.

Thats how uncouth Trump is. All cities of any size have their slums and high drug areas. For Trump to point one out to make a stab at Cummings just shows you his character, or lack of it. Remember he took a jab at Obama and his old Chicago area.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:29 PM

9,092 posts, read 11,095,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"If he thinks Baltimore is a *&^%, it says a lot about his campaign promises"
He did NOT say Baltimore, he said Cummings DISTRICT.

Says a lot about you knowledge on the subject.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...-hell-n1036346

"Living in 'Baltimore' is like 'living in hel*.' " And, "the most unsafe city in the country." Quotes from T.

Since many Trumpers stand by any thing their man says, they should start following more carefully what he does say.
Heck, if Trump said all of Maryland was a "hel* hole," no Trumper would refute it! What could he say that a Trumper would not agree with?

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-31-2019 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 12:32 PM

28,274 posts, read 19,696,604 times
Quote:
Democrat Rep. Elijah Cummings in 1999: "This morning I left my community of Baltimore, a DRUG INFESTED area" where people are "walking around like zombies."
Video Emerges Of Elijah Cummings Calling Baltimore ‘Drug Infested’

Quote:
Sure they did. It was in reference to Mexicans.

Try getting it from the original sources.
no they didn't. cite pls.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:34 PM

52,924 posts, read 42,585,041 times
Quote:
It's not blatantly racist. I think I mentioned it someplace earlier in the thread.

It's "casually racist."

Meaning, he doesn't care enough about being sensitive to black people or NOT appearing to be a racist ass that he didn't bother to consider that such a blatant condemnation of a majority black city would look quite racist.

I use his past discriminatory practices as evidence that he's no friend to the black community and has a an established pattern of racist behavior.
I think Baltimore is a dump.

So now what? You gotta get out a sherwin williams paint strip, check my voting history, maybe see if I'm straight or not before you decide whether or not to give absolution?

Most large american cities are very brown.

Detroit for example is a dump, although on the rebound. Tons and tons of media articles even to that effect does that make them racist too?

Trump is rude, petty and tactless but the racism claim just smacks of throwing the claim around because you don't like the guy.

Lastly, I have a few NFL and NBA teams I can't stand. Ooooh wait, they're majority black....do we have to do another absolution? How many points do I have to score on the race\gender\orientation\D vs. R test to get that? I ask again because people say stuff all the time that fit your arbitrary guidelines where you then get to decide.

P.S. Your 3rd sentence is the very definition of tactless, not racist. Trump isn't *sensitive* about anything.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:46 PM

642 posts, read 332,320 times
Quote:
I'm actually not a fan of Baltimore. I just think it wasn't very civil or becoming of a President to refer to a large city in the USA as a dump.

It's not a bouquet of flowers, but it's the truth served up cold, and as a political play, it's savvy to make Democrats defend a city they 1) have had near-total control over for decades and 2) seem to mainly care about to maintain some degree of political power.

And I'm not sure why so many people want to hold Trump to these standards of decorum when many of his detractors don't meet them. This isn't necessarily about Elijah Cummings, but we see Trump go after critics publicly and we think he's the only person who says mean things about people. Democrats do plenty of trash-talking, publicly and privately, and people don't bat an eye.

I think Trump's point was more about the people who represent the city and those in power rather than the citizens, but there's also a grim truth to be said about that as well. You can't vote for every Democrat who makes pie-in-the-promises and shares your race and then when they don't actually fix anything, you get offended by the first person who's enough of a jerk to say it out loud.

It's the same with California. Los Angeles has an infestation of rats (which carry all sorts of third-world diseases like typhus) and San Francisco literally has a multi-million dollar problem with homeless people defecating in the street and on the sidewalk...and all their local and state governments care about are declaring themselves sanctuary cities, blocking Trump from building a wall, and making sure he has to release his tax returns for the next election.

I got Trump's point loud and clear. Your representatives are more concerned with using their political power to pin a bogus Russian-collusion conspiracy on me than they are on making your cities clean and safe.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 PM

553 posts, read 77,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

sounds like geographical discrimination...which probably is racist in some peoples view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or