U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-02-2019, 12:23 PM
 
48,786 posts, read 45,833,039 times
Reputation: 15504

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Lots of things come across as "unnecessary", its politics.
Mr Cummings said it was a drug infested city years ago... unless one thinks his comment was also "not necessary" then you are a hypocrite.. The fact that Mr Cummings was not the President is not a fair defense for his statement. Each are elected officials.








SF has poop everywhere, The reps have the responsibility for their districts..after all thats why they are where they are. shouldn't their primary responsibility be to their district rather than attacking the President.




The squad has attacked and talked crap about tthe President on many occasions, he punches back and they go do a vote to condemn his statements(when they themselves were the ones that actually said something involving race) instead of doing something useful like working on immigration reform Was that necessary? It kind of was for them since Mueller time failed..they have to keep the negativity campaign and character assassination thing going against Trump going.
Except this conversation had nothing to do with Baltimore. Trump brought up Baltimore to hit below the belt. Baltimore has issues, and not, I don't think Cummings should talk down on his city. However, that isn't the point. This conversation had nothing to do with Baltimore. It was about the border wall. Not only was it not necessary, it was stupid. This is not about a representative's responsibilty. This is about Trump hitting below the belt. What part of that do you not understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2019, 12:34 PM
 
48,786 posts, read 45,833,039 times
Reputation: 15504
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
YES!!!! It was absolutely necessary to say this. And IMO it should have been said by Obama eight years ago. After all, Obama's Father's Day speech chastised black men for not being good fathers to their children... and he wasn't accused of being racist about those comments.

Positive changes can't happen in this country without true honesty. And IMO Trump shouldn't be the one to fix Baltimore, instead it should be the black politicians and the black community to be the ones making the decisions on how best to fix that city and others like Detroit. Otherwise, there will be an outcry against WHITE people trying to fix black Baltimore neighborhoods, and we all know how that will turn out.

BTW this is why I want DACAs to sign up for the Peace Corps and return to their home countries for 3-5 years before trying to return to the US. And at the end of their stays, I would like them to tell America how best to fix their countries. Any other way, and America gets hated on for not understanding their culture and their ways. And America should not be taking away their best and their brightest young nationals.
Here is my rebuttal. Baltimore has alot of problems. However, Trump didn't say any of that to help Baltimore or because he cares about Baltimore. He said it because he didn't like what Elijah Cummings had to say. Trump hit below the belt. The conversation started as a disagreement about building the border wall. If Trump doesn't really care about Baltimore or other inner city areas at all. He just wanted to hit Cummings where it hurt. It wasn't necessary. Baltimore has alot of problems that need to be solved. However, Baltimore had absolutely nothing to do with what that discussion was about. There are alot of problems in Baltimore that need to be talked about. But that was not the time or the place. It was only brought up as a way to hit Cummings below the belt. It was simply Trump being the petulant bully that he is. By the way, Detroit has a White mayor now. There are still alot of problems.

When President Obama was critical towards Black men, he wasn't critical towards Black women. He knows if that happens, all heck will break loose. If former President Obama couldn't get members of the underclass/hood rat subculture within the Black population to do better, no one can. What President Obama said had alot more to do with him wanting to help, wanting to encourage people. President Trump is known for being antagonistic. He didn't say what he said because he cared about Baltimore. This had nothing to do with the problems in the inner city. It was about Elijah Cummings and Trump having a problem with him.

And something else. Given the racial tensions this country has always had, and the problems we still have, there won't be much trust for anyone.

The comments were not necessary because it wasn't the time or the place for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
252 posts, read 29,779 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It was about the border wall. Not only was it not necessary, it was stupid.

Yes apparently he thought it was necessary and I agree with him. Many people won't i guess---what are they going to do, call those that they disagree with racist? That wont do anything but cause more division, but the shoe fits since that appears to be the goal of todays liberals.


President Trump calling the situation in Baltimore for what it is, is not racist. If you think it is then Mr Cummings is racist for saying the same comments about the city...if you don't follow this logic then you are a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 04:37 PM
 
48,786 posts, read 45,833,039 times
Reputation: 15504
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Yes apparently he thought it was necessary and I agree with him. Many people won't i guess---what are they going to do, call those that they disagree with racist? That wont do anything but cause more division, but the shoe fits since that appears to be the goal of todays liberals.


President Trump calling the situation in Baltimore for what it is, is not racist. If you think it is then Mr Cummings is racist for saying the same comments about the city...if you don't follow this logic then you are a hypocrite.
It wasn't necessary because it had nothing to do with what either Cummings or Trump were talking about. I never said it was racist. I said that he didn't need to say that. He didn't say it because it's true. He said it to hit below the belt. You don't call something what it is just because. There is a reason you say things. Trump said what he said because he wanted to hurt Cummings the way he felt hurt by Cummings. Trump could not care less about Baltimore. I know Baltimore has alot of problems. But that's not why Trump said it. He said it because he has a big mouth and a childish mentality. You agree with Trump because you support Trump and you like that Trump has an antagonistic mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 05:15 PM
 
34,572 posts, read 18,766,753 times
Reputation: 7683
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Has anyone stated trump is correct?





Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 02:08 AM
 
1 posts, read 92 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
So nothing is racist; unless you use the “N word”?
Things are racist when they're negative generalizations directed at entire classes of people, ie, according to their race. If you believe Trump has racist motives, you assume his choice to pick a fight with a black congressman "must be racist". You have to engage in a kind of mind reading here; if you have the bias that white republicans, and Trump in particular, have evil, racist motives, then you believe everything they say is racist -- it's not something you can prove as much as a hunch that you feel entitled to run with because the media eggs you on, and makes you feel like it's common sense.

Otherwise, there's nothing inherently racist in his language; he isn't talking about anyone's race in a negative light. He's talking about the hypocrisy of a man who acts righteously indignant over conditions at the border, while he neglects his own neighborhoods back home. If you can project racism onto someone for calling out Cummings' hypocrisy, based on the races of the men involved, that makes you more of a racist than Trump, or Bernie, or any of the others in this story.

If you have to "read Trump's mind" to argue racism, it's your own projected bias. If you think every white man who criticizes a black democrat must be a racist, you have a bias against white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 02:53 AM
 
Location: In the desert
2,738 posts, read 1,985,705 times
Reputation: 1319
Just for a sec forget whether it was racist for Trump to say what he did and think about the president of the United States bad mouthing his own country. I heard him offer help to Russia due to the fires they are having & remember how he complained about spending money for the California fires. What exactly is he doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:40 AM
 
2,903 posts, read 1,434,887 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Except this conversation had nothing to do with Baltimore. Trump brought up Baltimore to hit below the belt. Baltimore has issues, and not, I don't think Cummings should talk down on his city. However, that isn't the point. This conversation had nothing to do with Baltimore. It was about the border wall. Not only was it not necessary, it was stupid. This is not about a representative's responsibilty. This is about Trump hitting below the belt. What part of that do you not understand?
When you care more about the rights of illegals than your own constituents there’s a friggin problem! What part of that do you not understand??? Cummings deserves all the crap he’s getting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
252 posts, read 29,779 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Cummings deserves all the crap he’s getting!

Yes he does.




Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It wasn't necessary because it had nothing to do with what either Cummings or Trump were talking about. I never said it was racist. I said that he didn't need to say that.

If I said something about you saying this was racist...that response would be "necessary"...but I didn't... however exactly that IS the topic of the tread in case you haven't been keeping up.
We agree to disagree, he did need to say it and it still wasn't racist.




Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You agree with Trump because you support Trump and you like that Trump has an antagonistic mentality.

Actually I agree with him because he doesn't let these radical Democrats try to run over him without punching back and he is in the right to do defend himself.

Last edited by tipsyguam; 08-03-2019 at 04:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 05:08 AM
 
12,352 posts, read 3,345,269 times
Reputation: 4157
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is my rebuttal. Baltimore has alot of problems. However, Trump didn't say any of that to help Baltimore or because he cares about Baltimore. He said it because he didn't like what Elijah Cummings had to say. Trump hit below the belt. The conversation started as a disagreement about building the border wall. If Trump doesn't really care about Baltimore or other inner city areas at all. He just wanted to hit Cummings where it hurt. It wasn't necessary. Baltimore has alot of problems that need to be solved. However, Baltimore had absolutely nothing to do with what that discussion was about. There are alot of problems in Baltimore that need to be talked about. But that was not the time or the place. It was only brought up as a way to hit Cummings below the belt. It was simply Trump being the petulant bully that he is. By the way, Detroit has a White mayor now. There are still alot of problems.

When President Obama was critical towards Black men, he wasn't critical towards Black women. He knows if that happens, all heck will break loose. If former President Obama couldn't get members of the underclass/hood rat subculture within the Black population to do better, no one can. What President Obama said had alot more to do with him wanting to help, wanting to encourage people. President Trump is known for being antagonistic. He didn't say what he said because he cared about Baltimore. This had nothing to do with the problems in the inner city. It was about Elijah Cummings and Trump having a problem with him.

And something else. Given the racial tensions this country has always had, and the problems we still have, there won't be much trust for anyone.

The comments were not necessary because it wasn't the time or the place for it.
I disagree with a number of things Obama did while President, but I completely agree with the bolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top