U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:30 AM
 
1,521 posts, read 1,372,236 times
Reputation: 1240

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Itís not a racist statement, but itís inflamatory. Thereís quite a few cities with similar problems, and to single Baltimore out is strange. Maybe itís because Iím not an east coast guy, but itís not the place Iíd have singled out.

Watch Charm City on Amazon Prime. Baltimore May suck, but it is NOT a dump.



Ever been, ever lived in Baltimore? The trauma center at John Hopkins goes 24/7; The "Wire" is a photo-realistic crime series set in Baltimore; the police are directed to crack houses by the smell of a dead body inside, etc.


You are right. Calling Baltimore a dump is giving dump a bad rap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
714 posts, read 631,300 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Cummings made the connection by putting ILLEGAL ALIENS over the horrid conditions of HIS OWN DISTRICT. That's the connection. His PRIORITIES. One will get him Media attention and a national spotlight because the Media loves anything "hate Trump". Meanwhile he ignores his district in which he is responsible because it won't get him the national spotlight.
I still donít get it. Baltimore is a troubled place, and current border policies wonít really change that.

If youíre President, and Baltimore is your priority, youíre already in trouble. If you try to connect a distant border to it, itís worse.

You need some other changes if you want Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, etc to turn around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
9,018 posts, read 6,554,252 times
Reputation: 44526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bernie Sanders recently compared it to "a third world country." That was until President Trump made his comments. Now, suddenly, it's not, I guess.
I'd like to see the whole context. I have a feeling there is more.

If that was it then he is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:34 AM
 
9,545 posts, read 10,267,050 times
Reputation: 7238
It shows how weak Trump is. He's mad at the man so he attacks his city. Its like in middle school when you don't have a come back you say ,"your mom."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:36 AM
 
1,919 posts, read 485,690 times
Reputation: 1728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Cummings made the connection by putting ILLEGAL ALIENS over the horrid conditions of HIS OWN DISTRICT. That's the connection. His PRIORITIES. One will get him Media attention and a national spotlight because the Media loves anything "hate Trump". Meanwhile he ignores his district in which he is responsible because it won't get him the national spotlight.
Two separate issues that have their own challenges. Trump is in charge of the conditions at the border. Cummings is in charge of conditions in Baltimore.

Trump can't man up and take responsibility so he has to deflect attention elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Toronto
1,668 posts, read 2,846,058 times
Reputation: 1761
I don't know if an American president has ever been so willing to insult fellow-Americans and call the places they live "dumps," "war zones," and the like. I thought his mission was to make America great again, not trash the parts of it he doesn't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 AM
 
30,136 posts, read 15,681,915 times
Reputation: 20313
I've never been to Baltimore, but I have a relative who graduated from Goucher recently.

He compared Baltimore to Cancun by saying there are pockets of nice and safe areas, but as a whole, it's fairly dangerous and poor. He said the University was like a resort, a pretty and safe pocket set apart from what surrounded it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:39 AM
 
30,136 posts, read 15,681,915 times
Reputation: 20313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I don't know if an American president has ever been so willing to call Americans and the places they live "dumps" and "war zones." I thought his mission was to make America great again, not trash the parts of it he doesn't like.
If you close your eyes and pretend there aren't problems, those problems don't tend to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:39 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,082 posts, read 2,577,500 times
Reputation: 4795
I am at the point now that if Pelosi says it I assume that the opposite must be true.

Baltimore is an embarrassment. I dont think that is Cumming's fault, but if it is his district he should be working the issues at his level.

Baltimore is always in the top 20 most dangerous cities in the Country. It isn't racist to call out that fact.

That doesn't make Trump less of a deek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2019, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
9,018 posts, read 6,554,252 times
Reputation: 44526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I don't know if an American president has ever been so willing to call Americans and the places they live "dumps" and "war zones." I thought his mission was to make America great again, not trash the parts of it he doesn't like.
Great post and point. Coming from Trump I wasn't surprised. I thought what he said took some nerve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top