Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

You're missing the point re the 'punching down' when it comes to the POTUS. It means that he should only 'punch back' at (laterally, in theory) with the leader of another country. That he should be above letting letting people under him in the U.S. Government successfully goad him into a response. He is potentially both elevating that person below him and lowering himself by engaging. He should let the criticism roll off of his back. He's the President. Whoever may be criticizing him/may be yapping at him..that person isn't the President. He's got the satisfaction of knowing he's the President to 'bolster himself in that storm'.

That's just BS !!! Who made up that stupid rule ? No other President has followed it !!!

Fact is the left wants to shut up everyone on the right with an opinion !!!

That dog won't hunt !!! Get over it !!! Dumbest ideal I've ever heard of in politics or in the top five anyway !!!

Obama didn't follow that stupid rule !!! He took on Hannity more than once and many others !!!

Where was the outrage machine then ? Out of oil ? Solar panels weren't working, apparently it was cloudy !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Im an ex-pat. I can't count how many times folks ask me what I think of Trump. Most are shocked that I am less than a fan.

Here is what I tell them 100% of the time. "It isn't that Trump is always wrong, in fact he quite often is right, but he is almost always wrong in how he says it. Trump can't seem to help himself. He can't give a compliment without adding an insult to it. He can't identify a problem without bashing somebody in the process. For example, if he saw a woman wearing a red dress that was flattering. He couldn't just say. You look very nice tonight. He would say I like your dress, it really shows off your ass, too bad you have small boobs. While everything he said might be true, there is no need to be crass or insulting. That is Trump in a nut shell. It is impossible for him to be civil."

This is literally my answer every single time I am asked.

Trump isn't wrong about Baltimore, and Cummings may not be doing what's best for Baltimore. Maybe he is just too comfortable in the job? That said, what about the state and local politicians that have ignored the problem?

Old 07-29-2019, 07:50 PM

18,425 posts, read 8,256,472 times
good grief.....everyone knows you can't talk to black people....as if they are not black

Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

He calls entire cities "dumps" and never stops to realize he's the President of ALL of the country and not just his voter strongholds.
A lot of us didn't feel that Obama thought he was president to ALL the country. Now you know how flyover country felt when Obama was president.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,434,864 times
The most crime ridden city is at Trump s doorstep. The area around DC is noxious.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:54 PM

2,071 posts, read 889,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Android?

Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 PM

2,071 posts, read 889,418 times
Default Jared Kushner's Baltimore housing projects could be the 'disgusting, rat & rodent infested mess' Trump tweeted

Kushner has been called a "slumlord"

https://www.businessinsider.in/jared...w/70424555.cms

The report included multiple retaliatory lawsuits against tenants who tried to move out.

Company cited with 200 code violations

“Contrary to the assertions of the Kushner Cos. that they are in compliance with local laws, our inspectors identified and cited more than 200 code violations in properties owned by Jared Kushner," said Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz. "Repairs were made only after the County threatened to withhold rent or issue fines. And in nine instances, we had to carry through with threatened sanctions. We expect all landlords to comply with the code requirements that protect the health and safety of their tenants, even if the landlord’s father-in-law is President of the United States.”

https://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Ne...ltimore-county

Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Let me get this straight. Cummings was in the Maryland House of Delegates for 14 years and served as Speaker of the House. He's been in Congress for 22 years. Lived in the Baltimore area his whole life. . Yet, Trump's equally responsible for conditions in Baltimore generally and Cumming's district specifically.

Please say you were struck by an uncontrollable TDS moment and you don't really believe what you wrote.
He’s a legislator. He’s a member of the legislative branch. He is not in an Executive position, such as a Mayor or Governor where he would have more direct control and he never has been. Trump is, or is supposed to be, the President of the United States, and has some responsibility for the country as a whole. He is in the ultimate executive position in this country with the most power. You can’t point to one city and say “ain’t it awful” and then give a pass to the one man in country who has the most power. As President, he has a shared responsibility for everywhere in the country, not just his base.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 PM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
The most crime ridden city is at Trump s doorstep. The area around DC is noxious.
doubt you could afford it anyway.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You are out of your gourd.

Democrats ran Republicans out of that town long ago.
Cummings doesn’t have Executive power and never has. You can blame a Mayor, or a Governor or a President for a share of that because all of those have Executive Power, and all have a shared responsibility . A legislator doesn’t have that degree of power, nor as much of the individual responsibility that comes with it. If you don’t know the difference between the power and authority of the Executive and Legislative Branch, a middle schooler could probably assist you.

My gourd is quite fine, but thanks for asking.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-29-2019 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies