Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 05:36 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I actually agree with this. The comment by President Trump was stupid. Accurate, but still stupid.

So why do hundreds upon hundreds of Trump-haters, from CD posters to CNN commentators, use the comment to accuse Trump of racism? Why not just accuse him of stupidity? Why the need to respond to a stupid comment with a false accusation???
Because being stupid is forgivable, stupid is what stupid does after all, but being a racist... well now, the gloves come off, because you're allow to hate that someone. When the argument fails accuse your opponent to be morally reprehensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 06:17 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Rep. Elijah Cummings’ Baltimore Home Burglarized, Police Say

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/...ummings-house/

Quote:
Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) Baltimore home was burglarized Saturday according a report published August 1.
WJZ 13 reports that the burglary “occurred around 3:40 a.m. at his Baltimore home in the 2000 block of Madison Avenue.” Police are not yet sure how much property, if any, was taken.

News of the break-in of Cummings’ home comes on the heels of at least 5 shot, three fatally, Saturday, July 27, through Sunday, July 28.
Oops.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I actually agree with this. The comment by President Trump was stupid. Accurate, but still stupid.

So why do hundreds upon hundreds of Trump-haters, from CD posters to CNN commentators, use the comment to accuse Trump of racism? Why not just accuse him of stupidity? Why the need to respond to a stupid comment with a false accusation???
Whether or not his comment was racist, well, this is how I see it. Calling Baltimore a dump in itself isn't a racist statement. Baltimore has alot of problem. I've mentioned it on other threads. I don't want to move to Baltimore.

On the other hand, this shoudn't be about whether or not it was a racist statement or a factual statement. Very few people have thought to ask this question: Was it necessary to say such a thing?

As for why people are accusing Trump of being a racist, well, I don't know. My personal thoughts are this. President Trump did make a racist comment in the past regarding Baltimore, but it was directed at then-President Obama.

President Trump has made many stupid comments. This comment hit below the belt. His comment was stupid, and more importantly, unbecoming of a U.S. President. What U.S. President disparages a city in his own country? What I'm saying is this. I expect better from the President than that.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Rep. Elijah Cummings’ Baltimore Home Burglarized, Police Say

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/...ummings-house/

Oops.
i hope no rats were injured.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This comment hit below the belt. His comment was stupid, and more importantly, unbecoming of a U.S. President. What U.S. President disparages a city in his own country? What I'm saying is this. I expect better from the President than that.
From this President? You expect better? Surely you jest.

The office? Of course we expect better, but certainly not from Trump.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:49 PM

17,605 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
Whether or not his comment was racist, well, this is how I see it. Calling Baltimore a dump in itself isn't a racist statement. Baltimore has alot of problem. I've mentioned it on other threads. I don't want to move to Baltimore.

On the other hand, this shoudn't be about whether or not it was a racist statement or a factual statement. Very few people have thought to ask this question: Was it necessary to say such a thing?

As for why people are accusing Trump of being a racist, well, I don't know. My personal thoughts are this. President Trump did make a racist comment in the past regarding Baltimore, but it was directed at then-President Obama.

President Trump has made many stupid comments. This comment hit below the belt. His comment was stupid, and more importantly, unbecoming of a U.S. President. What U.S. President disparages a city in his own country? What I'm saying is this. I expect better from the President than that.
You and other left wingers expect better from the President. OK, fine. The head scratcher is why you don't throw tantrums and demand better from the Democrats who have been running inner cities into the ground while lining their own pockets.

The outrage is disproportionate and misplaced. Is the disproportionate outrage due to the fact that Trump is white and the corrupt politicians running big cities are predominantly black? I do wonder that.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 PM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
I liked Baltimore. I hope the millenials will start moving there and make it green.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:26 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Once again -- simply put.

Trump may very well be right about conditions in some parts of Balitmore.

BUT the reason he brought it up, the way he brought it up, why he brought it up and how he told Cummings to 'go back' were all wrong.

WRONG...there is no way to spin that his motives were childish, mean, spiteful, hateful.

Yes Baltimore has some really bad areas. And yes something should be done but let's not pretend this President cares until it is time to use that information to hurl insults at someone for criticizing Trump's immigration policy.

Motive counts.
Trump is right about the conditions in MOST of Baltimore. Those areas are also within a few blocks of the touristy areas such as Camden Yards, the convention center and all of the major hotels. Even the marketplace which has amazing crabcakes, is also sketchy and the stores in the area, all have heavy security gating they use when they close up for the night.

And Trump's motives aren't childish, mean, spiteful or hateful. He was simply stating FACT. Cummings has had DECADES to fix Baltimore's problems and gotten BILLIONS of dollars ($15.7 billion) in aid to do so. Instead, he has spent the money on other projects. With billions of dollars a year, he could have been fixing that enormous blighted area, one block at a time and reached out to the kids and the youth, and tried to turn their lives around. With that kind of money, each block could be bought up, restored and given to a city trust to manage, still keep the rents down and letting the original tenants stay.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,586 times
Quote:

Lots of things come across as "unnecessary", its politics.
Mr Cummings said it was a drug infested city years ago... unless one thinks his comment was also "not necessary" then you are a hypocrite.. The fact that Mr Cummings was not the President is not a fair defense for his statement. Each are elected officials.

Quote:

SF has poop everywhere, The reps have the responsibility for their districts..after all thats why they are where they are. shouldn't their primary responsibility be to their district rather than attacking the President.

The squad has attacked and talked crap about tthe President on many occasions, he punches back and they go do a vote to condemn his statements(when they themselves were the ones that actually said something involving race) instead of doing something useful like working on immigration reform Was that necessary? It kind of was for them since Mueller time failed..they have to keep the negativity campaign and character assassination thing going against Trump going.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:47 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
A lot of you have less than zero clue how Maryland plantation politics works.

Several have asked what Cummings has to do with trash/rats in his District. The answer for normal people is "Nothing". That's normal people. In this state having a Congressman get involved in a purely local manner is standard because the residents call or write a letter.

A number of years ago a newspaper vendor got rid of his load on a somewhat isolated town owned beach. A resident was walking her dog on the beach and saw the newspapers (about 300 bundles, so 6000 individual copies). Did that resident call Town Hall? Oh **** no, the phone call went to a County Commissioner and, for good measure, Congressman Steny Hoyer.

This happens constantly. The cable goes out and Sen. Cardin gets called. Trash pick up is late, call the State Senator. You don't like a new crosswalk you write a letter to the President.

That's Maryland politics. The local Delegates and State Senators go to every high school graduation and give a speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies