U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:15 PM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 10 days ago)

8,160 posts, read 3,200,490 times

Advertisements

No, but I think the better question would be about drunk driving laws, and I think we're still at least a generation out from the point where those laws are going to clash in any meaningful way with that sort of technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 08:20 PM

32,546 posts, read 26,465,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Without drunk driving, will there be any need for a national drinking age or would it make more sense to leave it up to the states at that point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I doubt it, but it will make DUIs a thing of the past, which is a GREAT thing for everyone!

No more people dying due to some drunk getting behind the wheel, now they will just stagger to the car and then stagger into their homes at the end of the night.
Quote:
People could still put their cars in self-driving mode when they’re drunk, and self-driving cars might appeal to people who are too young to have ever driven a car.

no change in the drinking age, and no ending of DUIs either. the reason for that is that under the law, the person behind the wheel, even in a self driving vehicle, is responsible for the actions of that vehicle. and if the responsible driver is drunk, then they can still be charged with DUI.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:35 PM

27,483 posts, read 15,864,388 times
Quote:
Without drunk driving, will there be any need for a national drinking age or would it make more sense to leave it up to the states at that point?
No self-driving car roll out is very slow due to the misinformed crashes they are in that aren't the fault of the driver-less system such as being rear ended or when the navigation is turned off like that Tempe case. That said that area in Tempe is hardly lit and had a jay-walker come right out of the grass... I'm not sure if the driverless system wouldn't have made the jay-walker road pizza.

As for the law, it won't. IMHO you should be able to enlist, drink and smoke at 21. Keep voting at 18 to encourage young people to care about politics.

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

10,812 posts, read 2,775,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no change in the drinking age, and no ending of DUIs either. the reason for that is that under the law, the person behind the wheel, even in a self driving vehicle, is responsible for the actions of that vehicle. and if the responsible driver is drunk, then they can still be charged with DUI.
laws like this will probably be altered when the times come when SD cars are the norm.

Besides that, the only way police are able to spot drunk drivers today, is due to their poor driving skills while drunk (weaving, etc), if they are not actually doing the driving at this point, I doubt police will be able to identify them so easily, to pull them over.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

4,992 posts, read 2,992,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Where are you from? I've lived all over the US and these stupid laws don't stop people from drinking as teens.
Never said they’d stop people from drinking. Didn’t stop me lol.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

32,546 posts, read 26,465,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
laws like this will probably be altered when the times come when SD cars are the norm.

Besides that, the only way police are able to spot drunk drivers today, is due to their poor driving skills while drunk (weaving, etc), if they are not actually doing the driving at this point, I doubt police will be able to identify them so easily, to pull them over.

perhaps when SDCs are 100% reliable, that may happen. until then however the laws will remain in place. as for DUIs, they may be reduced, but they wont be eliminated.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

27,721 posts, read 17,738,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Age limits on alcohol consumption have absolutely nothing to with driving vehicles. If the whole world ends up with nothing but self-driving cars there will still be age limits for alcohol consumption.

Then why did the federal government withhold highway funding to states that refused prevent adults 18-20 years old from drinking?

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

15,641 posts, read 13,609,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then why did the federal government withhold highway funding to states that refused prevent adults 18-20 years old from drinking?
It is how the feds get states to do something.

Read South Dakota vs Dole.

The ruling by the court effectively gave the feds the ability to link funding of something to anything.

One of the reasons for the national drinking age was to combat against drunk driving. However, the law is about buying, not consumption.

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

7,345 posts, read 6,640,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Then why did the federal government withhold highway funding to states that refused to prevent adults 18-20 years old from drinking?

I don't know why and I don't care why. It's not relevant to the original question and it's those states' problem that they created for themselves.

The point is there will still always be minimum age limits for the purchasing and consumption of alcohol. Whether people drive cars or not is besides the point. It's a universal law around the world except for 19 countries where there is no legal age limit at all and 16 countries where it is illegal for anyone of any age to possess or drink alcohol.

Here is a website that shows the minimum legal drinking age limits in 190 countries around the world.

https://drinkingage.procon.org/minim...190-countries/

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

35,405 posts, read 32,316,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Never said they’d stop people from drinking. Didn’t stop me lol.
I had a fake id at 16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or