U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:51 PM

10,898 posts, read 4,068,700 times

Advertisements

Maureen Dowd, a lefty columnist with the New York Times, is lashing out at her leftist brethren and sistren - because they are the modern day 'Puritans'.

For those who did not follow the news on this last week, the evening of the Mueller hearings Maureen hosted a cocktail party for the leftist luminaries of the Washington beltway, including Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and many others.

Presumably this was hoped to be a celebration of the take-down of a duly elected president, who just happens to be their chief political adversary, and the defeater of their chosen heir to the throne of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, in the 2016 elections. But it was not to be.

Quote:
MAUREEN DOWD: Progressives are the modern Puritans

Then this week, lefty Twitter erected a digital guillotine because I had a book party for my friend Carl Hulse, The Times’s authority on Capitol Hill for decades, attended by family, journalists, Hill denizens and a smattering of lawmakers, including Pelosi, Chuck Schumer and Susan Collins. I, the daughter of a D.C. cop, and Carl, the son of an Illinois plumber, were hilariously painted as decadent aristocrats reveling like Marie Antoinette when we should have been knitting like Madame Defarge.

Yo, proletariat: If the Democratic Party is going to be against chocolate, high heels, parties and fun, you’ve lost me. And I’ve got some bad news for you about 2020.

The progressives are the modern Puritans. The Massachusetts Bay Colony is alive and well on the Potomac and Twitter. They eviscerate their natural allies for not being pure enough while placing all their hopes in a color-inside-the-lines lifelong Republican prosecutor appointed by Ronald Reagan.The politics of purism makes people stupid. And nasty.
The pictures from Dowd's little soiree, with the political leaders being entertained and mingling with the press - the very people who supposedly are devoted to holding these politicians accountable - was not a good look. It smacked of establishment elitism and was further reason to be concerned about the appearance of bias and conflicts of interest by leading media types, which certainly includes Maureen Dowd.

In any case, as you can see, Maureen is not pleased by the negative reaction she has received to all of this. Apparently those objecting do not have a proper respect for their betters, obviously including her.

Maureen's complaint that the left has become a bunch of intolerant, mob style Puritanical zealots certainly has merit when applied to different circumstances. But why is it "Puritanical" to expect these media types and our politicians to maintain an appropriate distance and a proper level of independence from each other? This is a basic expectation of media ethics, or so I have been told.

But according to Maureen Dowd, apparently not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or