U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 05:40 AM

19,492 posts, read 12,340,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Unlike you, Hawkeye - my fellow conservative -- I've never been to SF and will never set foot there. I may cross the California border someday but that would only be to do some exploring of their national parks. And it will feel like crossing into another country.
We go to CA all the time. It is a great state! Don't write off CA, as the Sierras is one our favorite places to hike. If you have not been to Yosemite or Sequoia, they are must do trips. The coast north of SF is absolutely stunning! San Diego is very pretty as well when you get out of town to the north toward Torrey Pines. We play golf at Torrey, Aviara (near SD);Pebble and Spyglass (near Monteray to the north) and Palm Springs.

You would be surprised- the crappy areas of CA are actually confined to small areas and most of the state is fantastic. The central part of the state looks like a burned out prarie of western Nebraska, but the people are nice.

Too bad you didn't got to SF before it got ruined. It used to be a great place; I actually proposed to my wife there. It really is a dump now; it seems as though the homeless go exactly where the tourists go and near the Moscone Center where conferences are held. That is why many organizations are no longer having conferences there. It is sad, as it used to be a favorite.

PS- Do Yosemite and Sequoia in mid September- it is at a low point in traffic and it is about the only time in low tourist season where you can go to Yosemite without fear of snow at higher altitude places like Taft's peak. The waterfalls are better in the spring, but it is really a crap shoot with the snow. Yosemite can be a big ass traffic jam in peak tourist seasons and it is a drag. Try to stay in the park- Yosemite Lodge is like $800 per night, but there is another hotel in the park that is only like $250. The Sequoia Lodge is one of the few "new" lodges in a national park- most of the other lodges are ancient and some lack air conditioning. When you see the Sequoia trees, your will be awestruck. Kings Canyon is right there as well- don't be decieved- there are some hiking trails, but it seems as though it is just a road in a big ass canyon- stunning views. Try to "train" prior to going, as the cool places begin at 6000 ft and to up from there. Bear spray is not necessary unless you are going in "the boonies" like my wife and I do. I always carry a gun for the naughty humans, but it is not necessary or recommended for animals.

It's weird, but out in "the boonies" off the beaten paths, most of the people you run across are Europeans, New Zealanders, and Aussies. They are surprised when they find out we're Americans and actually out hiking! Most of the Americans stay in the areas where they can drive to, get out and walk a little, then get back in their cars.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 07-29-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:40 AM

141 posts, read 55,823 times
Last spring we took a road trip up the coasts of CA and OR to WA. We drove past LA, SF, Portland & Seattle and did not tour any of them. A lot of people will be doing the same thing, avoiding these cities like the plague. It's too bad.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 AM

9,945 posts, read 6,664,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Kidd, I don't believe Trump is bashing these cities (at large). He's criticizing the leaders/mismanagement of these once great cities.
In my opinion, it's hard to discredit Trump's critique that Baltimore has diminished over the years. Fleeing population, rising crime, riots, etc.
I've been to SF, but I'm less knowledgeable about their contemporary history/changes. peace
Naw.

Here's the thing -- Trump is supposed to be the President of the USA. Last I checked, California and San Francisco is part of the USA.

As POTUS, he is supposed to represent all of the country, and not just regions and voters who are in his favor. That's called leadership.

Instead, he's just going low and catering to his political base because it's popular to bash San Francisco. Like the petty, small person he is when he spends much of his energy popping off about others rather than focus on policies.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:11 PM

1,193 posts, read 596,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
My great aunt and uncle paid $5,000 for a little row house out in the Sunset district in San Francisco in 1938. Their youngest son (who was born almost 10 years after they bought it) sold it very quickly last year (80 years later) for, IIRC, about $1.3-$1.4M. A flipper bought it, remodeled it...going all the way down to the studs and making the partially finished downstairs a finished part of the house...and sold it very quickly (getting multiple offers) for, IIRC, just under $2M.
Smart family!

Most of my extended great aunts and uncles went out to the Bay Area in the 50s and made it big, too. Back then it wasn’t too hard.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:44 PM

573 posts, read 167,786 times
As someone posted you can't build anything in san fran (San Francisco Man Has Spent 4 Years and $1 Million Trying to Get Approval to Turn His Own Laundromat Into an Apartment Building) https://reason.com/2018/02/21/san-fr...-4-years-1-mi/

Old 07-29-2019, 01:15 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,257,428 times
I always ask what the conservative small-gov't solution to homelessness is. I never get a response.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:56 PM

233 posts, read 196,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I mean Pacific Heights

I was thinking of the Palisades bc that's also an exclusive, rich area. Just in LA.
OK...forgiven....my East Coasr friends still don’t get what a very long state Ca is

Have a good one

Old 07-29-2019, 04:00 PM

5,252 posts, read 1,311,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
”I was raised by conservatives, and have realized that it is a scam. What you are implying by your question is that liberals have caused this problem. How? because the homeless from all over the USA go to where its warm and have to be dealt with there? Its not that the conservatives have figured out how to deal with this problem(or any other problem really), there is just a vague blame that all us conservatives(former conservatives) just knew to be true. Are there underlying issues? your right there are, thats how come the majority of Americans want to address those underlying issues. Affordable education because everyone needs education these days, medical care both health and mental health, drug policy overhaul. Youve got the federal govt still wants to jail people, ruin there lives and force them into homelessness due to marijuana convictions for christs sake. So I would ask you, how do would a conservative solve this problem, A 16 year old gets busted for a minor crime in a state that is "hard on crime"(if your poor), kicked out of school, put in a jail program, has criminal record and no education. No money, no home, police harassment for existing in public. Person moves on place to place, now they are in your conservative wonderland where I am now asking you, How do you justify things like this? and what is the conservative solution, or any solution which I would say that you must have if you are asking how some other people could justify causing this problem, you must exist in an area where they have a solution. And moving those people to some other place is not an option for your answer.”
Who are you quoting? You have to cite your quotes.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:01 PM

5,252 posts, read 1,311,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Same place that tried to ban Happy Meals for kids a few years ago also. Said it made them fat.

Glad to see they are so concerned about their citizens.
Hey. It's important to have your priorities straight, right?

Old 07-29-2019, 04:09 PM

9,202 posts, read 4,200,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Naw.

Here's the thing -- Trump is supposed to be the President of the USA. Last I checked, California and San Francisco is part of the USA.

As POTUS, he is supposed to represent all of the country, and not just regions and voters who are in his favor. That's called leadership.

Instead, he's just going low and catering to his political base because it's popular to bash San Francisco. Like the petty, small person he is when he spends much of his energy popping off about others rather than focus on policies.
Yeah, San Francisco has long been a punching bag for rural America. I doubt many of the people who live in the Bible Belt who love to bash San Francisco have ever actually been there.

The city has problems but it mostly goes back to the fact there just isn't enough housing to meet demand. To fix it would require the city making some hard decisions that could result in the loss of the city's character and what makes it unique. I can see both sides of this debate. One thing is that it really isn't a left/right issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or