U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Boulder, CO
474 posts, read 151,322 times
Reputation: 898

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Trumps new low,trashing American cities and the people living in them , hey trump you are the president instead of villifying these American cities why not work on fixing the problems?

I know, right ? Especially when he called us bitter, clinging to our guns and our bibles, and afraid of those that don't look like us …


Oh, wait ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:31 PM
 
6,390 posts, read 6,711,738 times
Reputation: 5975
Damn, President Trump is such a racist, insulting a predominantly black city like San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 PM
 
3,345 posts, read 2,097,860 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I don't believe Trump is bashing these cities (at large). He's criticizing the leaders/mismanagement of these once great cities.
how about appalachia? mississippi?

at least the IRS collects billions in SF. could you say that to poor GOP controlled states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:40 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,202 posts, read 4,200,719 times
Reputation: 7796
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Damn, President Trump is such a racist, insulting a predominantly black city like San Francisco.
But the city is known for it's LGBT community and therefore bashing it resonates with his base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:43 PM
 
11,427 posts, read 2,833,858 times
Reputation: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
San Francisco where you have a sanctuary city that allows shooting up heroin, pooping in the streets but bans vaping lolololol
Let's not forget they ban plastic straws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:46 PM
 
10,455 posts, read 10,400,787 times
Reputation: 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
San Francisco has the second largest population of homeless people in America.
The largest in in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's district.
I would think that weather has a big impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,887 posts, read 3,812,457 times
Reputation: 4637
I lived there for 3 years. It's the only time in my life I had proper depression. We were paying top dollar to live in a place full of graffiti, traffic, garbage and homeless. I felt bad for these people having to live like this. Theres such a stark divide between the filthy rich and the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:49 PM
 
10,455 posts, read 10,400,787 times
Reputation: 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Who are you quoting? You have to cite your quotes.

Sounds like he just know's his stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,193 posts, read 596,384 times
Reputation: 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
how about appalachia? mississippi?

at least the IRS collects billions in SF. could you say that to poor GOP controlled states
Really? Is that why Tennessee is #1 for fiscal stability? We have plenty of money.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...scal-stability

Also I might add that it is a heavily Republican state with zero income tax, and we're 47/50 for overall tax burden. Yet we are still flush with cash. More proof all Democrats do is tax tax tax and waste money on crap that doesn't do any good.

All of my in-laws are from upstate New York, I about passed out when I learned of their tax bills. Between income tax, outrageous property tax (literally FIVE TIMES what it is here), car inspections and tolls, you could not pay me to live in the state of NY. They're all dying to move down here because they're middle class and would save thousands of dollars a year in taxes. Not to mention never having to deal with the winters up there anymore. But other than that, I like Rochester.

I lived out in Los Angeles for a couple years and it's just as bad out there. Y'all can keep SF, it's ruined, just like the whole state of California is. All thanks to Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 08:08 PM
 
1,001 posts, read 391,949 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yeah, San Francisco has long been a punching bag for rural America. I doubt many of the people who live in the Bible Belt who love to bash San Francisco have ever actually been there.

The city has problems but it mostly goes back to the fact there just isn't enough housing to meet demand. To fix it would require the city making some hard decisions that could result in the loss of the city's character and what makes it unique. I can see both sides of this debate. One thing is that it really isn't a left/right issue.
Yes, SF can be a punching bag which is not any more fair than what is being said about rural America. However they have a real problem that can't be denied. It is not just unsightly but a health hazard. Los Angeles is worse and had an outbreak of both typhus and typhoid recently - medieval diseases. It's insanity.

I agree, people being displaced due to gentrification in SF that got worse during the tech boom presents a challenging housing issue.

However, many of the people that are coming to SF are homeless drifters and drug addicts. It is not just a housing issue. Many suffer from severe mental illness and it is not safe for them to be on the streets. Someone who has mental illness to the point where they cannot prepare a meal for themselves or remember when to bathe is not going to benefit from housing alone.

It's not a L/R issue but people make it one. Local communities can't solve their own problems because they get criticized if they just mention there IS a problem. Here is a Facebook scenario: Someone posts about an influx of homeless drifters and seeing needles on the ground. Immediately they will be attacked by the virtue signaling crowd with comments like; "Why do you hate people just because they are unsheltered?" or "What have you done for the homeless lately other than complain about their existence?" There is of course the old standby, "You're heartless!"

How do you talk to people like this? I used to identify as a liberal but something has changed and it's not just me. All people want is their town to be safe, to be able to walk down the street and not be accosted by panhandlers and of course let's not forget the hazard of stepping on uncapped needles.

If you look at articles from the SF papers you will see liberals fighting each other. Many are trying to force needle exchange centers and more shelters into the neighborhoods. Long time residents have been listening to the rhetoric and watching record amounts of money being spent for years just to see the problem get worse. I don't blame them for being fed up.

Last edited by motownnative; 07-29-2019 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top