U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 596,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yes, SF can be a punching bag which is not any more fair than what is being said about rural America. However they have a real problem that can't be denied. It is not just unsightly but a health hazard. Los Angeles is worse and had an outbreak of both typhus and typhoid recently - medieval diseases. It's insanity.

I agree, people being displaced due to gentrification in SF that got worse during the tech boom presents a challenging housing issue.

However, many of the people that are coming to SF are homeless drifters and drug addicts. It is not just a housing issue. Many suffer from severe mental illness and it is not safe for them to be on the streets. Someone who has mental illness to the point where they cannot prepare a meal for themselves or remember when to bathe is not going to benefit from housing alone.

It's not a L/R issue but people make it one. Local communities can't solve their own problems because they get criticized if they just mention there IS a problem. Here is a Facebook scenario: Someone posts about an influx of homeless drifters and seeing needles on the ground. Immediately they will be attacked by the virtue signaling crowd with comments like; "Why do you hate people just because they are unsheltered?" or "What have you done for the homeless lately other than complain about their existence?" There is of course the old standby, "Your heartless!"

How do you talk to people like this? I used to identify as a liberal but something has changed and it's not just me. All people want is their town to be safe, to be able to walk down the street and not be accosted by panhandlers and of course let's not forget the hazard of stepping on uncapped needles.

If you look at articles from the SF papers you will see liberals fighting each other. Many are trying to force needle exchange centers and more shelters into the neighborhoods. Long time residents have been listening to the rhetoric and watching record amounts of money being spent for years just to see the problem get worse. I don't blame them for being fed up.
It's the weather. It's way "easier" to be homeless in SF or LA than Minneapolis or Detroit. Nobody ever freezes to death. Add in how liberal it is, and how nothing is really done to change it, and boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 PM

23,469 posts, read 12,423,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Really? Is that why Tennessee is #1 for fiscal stability? We have plenty of money.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...scal-stability

Also I might add that it is a heavily Republican state with zero income tax, and we're 47/50 for overall tax burden. Yet we are still flush with cash. More proof all Democrats do is tax tax tax and waste money on crap that doesn't do any good.

All of my in-laws are from upstate New York, I about passed out when I learned of their tax bills. Between income tax, outrageous property tax (literally FIVE TIMES what it is here), car inspections and tolls, you could not pay me to live in the state of NY. They're all dying to move down here because they're middle class and would save thousands of dollars a year in taxes. Not to mention never having to deal with the winters up there anymore. But other than that, I like Rochester.

I lived out in Los Angeles for a couple years and it's just as bad out there. Y'all can keep SF, it's ruined, just like the whole state of California is. All thanks to Democrats.

Tennessee has 15 economically distressed rural counties, a list that includes Grundy, Van Buren and Bledsoe counties.

The 15 Tennessee counties falls within the nation's top 10 percent economically distressed counties based on an annual index of unemployment, income and poverty levels.

That's the thing -- in places like Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia -- you don't see the poverty in urban centers --so is it any better because we can't see it?

Trump has never been to these poorer rural areas. He knows nothing of them.

Mississippi state had an unemployment rate of 8.8% and a poverty rate of some 21%
Alabama -- not far behind with 7.4 unemployment and 18% poverty rate.

Why doesn't Trump tell all those politicians to go home and fix things.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 596,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Tennessee has 15 economically distressed rural counties, a list that includes Grundy, Van Buren and Bledsoe counties.

The 15 Tennessee counties falls within the nation's top 10 percent economically distressed counties based on an annual index of unemployment, income and poverty levels.

That's the thing -- in places like Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia -- you don't see the poverty in urban centers --so is it any better because we can't see it?

Trump has never been to these poorer rural areas. He knows nothing of them.

Mississippi state had an unemployment rate of 8.8% and a poverty rate of some 21%
Alabama -- not far behind with 7.4 unemployment and 18% poverty rate.

Why doesn't Trump tell all those politicians to go home and fix things.
That's easy.

Because they're not screaming at him about alleged "concentration camps" and blaming him for the mess at our border, which he's actually trying to fix. They're not calling him Hitler and demonizing him and ICE and Border Patrol. If any of them did, you can bet he would call them out in a heartbeat, too. Trump fights fire with fire, love him or hate him for it.

I never said TN was perfect either, every state has problems. I wouldn't want to live in the sticks, either. But whomever that poster was, they were dead wrong saying GOP states are broke. We have enough money to cover our liabilities and then some. We do that while basically paying the lowest taxes in the nation, too.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 PM

27,763 posts, read 17,758,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...san-francisco/

I will admit it is a very wealthy city for the time being due to large amounts of venture capital and equity flooding the city because of the artificially low interest rates. So I guess credit should be given for many of the companies that are best snack-oil salesman companies in the history of the world.

However, amazing how San Francisco ignores the homeless crisis, ignores the many people dying from heroin addictions and looks the other way and could care less about vulnerable people who are disabled.

There has never been and never will be a city that ignores it's social problems like Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco.

However, San Francisco is a good guide to what Democrats want: A percent of the population equity billionaires from being great salesman, politicians and city workers who make a massive fortune with huge pensions and a massive, exploited, massive underclass trying to do all they can to avoid sleeping on the cold, cloudy, raw streets of San Francisco in a city that ignores vulnerable seniors and disabled.
Let me guess? That's wacist!

Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,097,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
they were dead wrong saying GOP states are broke.
i didnt say GOP states are broke. i said the IRS collects more in SF that in poor GOP states

Old 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM

6,423 posts, read 3,566,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Lots of people spending precious time vilifying a city they’ve probably never visited.
I was born in SF in 1969 and lived there until 2008.

OP is not off base here. I would have never left my beloved City by the Bay if it hadn’t turned into bizarroland, occupied by millionaires and street people, with fewer children than bum loafs on the sidewalks (that’s turds for the uninitiated) in sight every year. It’s downright Dystopian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or