U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 AM

5,682 posts, read 2,094,231 times

Advertisements

Legan, the shooter, in a post suggested we read "Might Is Right" by Redbeard. That book is a classic manifesto advocating white supremacy and far right dogma.

So our shooter is yet another right wing extremist/terrorist. One has to wonder if Donald Trump's increasingly inflammatory racist language helped push Legan over the edge.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 AM

4,821 posts, read 4,062,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We have a problem with people getting shot and killed as if they are in a war zone! Can't take our children out anymore because we are providing the enemy (criminals) with unlimited access to guns and ammunition.
But Kalifornia already has the most draconian gun laws. Recently it became even more difficult to buy even ammunition there. Maybe just a few more laws will solve this?

In this instance, I blame the garlic. That connection needs to be examined.

Or maybe it was the Russians!

Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 AM

10,121 posts, read 6,716,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Right wing loves to invent stuff. Would wait for verification before stating this was gang related.

Statistically likely to be an angry white male, possibly with right wing tendencies.

I wonder if we will get anything more than "thoughts and prayers" from the pro gun right this time.

Even a 6 year old was killed https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/us/gi...ims/index.html
This is about an hour south of us. Why are folks elsewhere trying to score some political or cultural points on this tragedy?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 AM

7,086 posts, read 1,519,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Can anyone explain his tweet, "Why overcrowd towns and pave more open space to make room for hordes of mestizos and Silicon Valley white *****?"

As "mestizo" refers to a person of mixed European and American Indian ancestry and I think that "Silicon Valley white *****" would refer to affluent and educated white people, I would think that he disliked a wide range of people. Maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation of the post?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mestizo

Last edited by katharsis; 07-29-2019 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 08:56 AM

5,682 posts, read 2,094,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Can anyone explain his tweet, "Why overcrowd town and pave more open space to make room for hordes of mestizos and Silicon Valley white *****?"

He hates Silicon Valley white tw*** because most of them are liberals. His hate for "mestizos" is just a code word for Hispanics. Legan is a right wing extremist/terrorist.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:09 AM

63,449 posts, read 34,677,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
An Italian/Iranian, that's quite the ethnic mix.
It would be hard to tell an Italian from an Iranian since both are white.

Sounds like this guy had links to white nationalist groups.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 AM

10,063 posts, read 4,716,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Conservatives want to deflect away from Gilroy because the shooter is a right wing extremist/terrorist, so they try to hijack the thread.
Just pointing to media bias. They ignore where most of the shooting happens and blow up a story like this one.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 AM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 14 days ago)

18,616 posts, read 8,395,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Can anyone explain his tweet, "Why overcrowd town and pave more open space to make room for hordes of mestizos and Silicon Valley white *****?"

As "mestizo" refers to a person of mixed European and American Indian ancestry, I would think that "Silicon Valley white *****" would refer to affluent and educated white people, I would think that he disliked a wide range of people. Maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation of the post?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mestizo
I interpret it as you do. But if you substitute Silicon Valley with liberals, as many people do, does the picture become clearer?

Old 07-29-2019, 09:23 AM

6,564 posts, read 3,652,631 times
Perfect timing! Our local paper just announced the annual Garlic Festival Labor Day Weekend at Shawnee Mountain, Pa. Husband and I go every year because he loves garlic. Since this place borders NJ, we see a lot of cars from NJ and NY. Guess those folks living in "Gun Free STATES" won't be armed, and crossing State lines with their guns.

PA. is fairly lenient far as guns laws go; even allows Open Carry, although frowned on. Only people I have seen carrying guns is during Hunting Season across the road from me at State Game Lands.

Husband owns and has a CCW. Guess he should carry to the Garlic Festival? To quote him recently and hear this gun advocats, "I know my limitations". LAW ABIDING, 70 year old with Parkinson's. At the very least in a mass shooting, he would probably ending up shooting himself in the foot before he shot any mass shooter. But aren't guns supposed to be the Great Equalizer? Never saw a sign "No Guns Allowed" at this Garlic Festival.

Does the gun carrying torch now fall to ME for protection? ROLF Not happening. So I suppose if we are involved in some mass shooting, we DESERVE to be shot because I refuse to know how to shoot a gun with nothing to do the Gun Laws, or Gun Free Zones.

I seem to be reading between the lines of what some are saying on this thread. If you have the choice, not these State gun laws , and don't arm yourself, you deserve to to killed.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:29 AM

21,804 posts, read 11,757,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We have a problem with people getting shot and killed as if they are in a war zone! Can't take our children out anymore because we are providing the enemy (criminals) with unlimited access to guns and ammunition.
So restricting access to guns and ammo from responsible citizens is the answer? Even though the right is guaranteed by the Bill of Rights?

I believe the cops know where most of the criminals are and where most of the illegal guns are. I would rather any further actions on guns be directed at criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or